Yamaha mixer troubleshooting / repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksanura

Hi Guys,

Long time lurking, first post. I need some advice or guidance with mixer repair and troubleshooting. So I've bought second hand Yamaha MG16/6FX dirt cheap (I know, I know not the best one but it would be a sin not to to buy for what was asked :))

Everything seems to be working fine, except one channel of the main outputs. doh. There is simply no sound when I connect the speaker. Other channel is working just fine.

I see signal present in both channels on mixer - so there are no issues with input. When I connect speakers to group outs, CR-out, headphones - both channels are working fine. So this should be something with main-out only.

I've taken the mixer apart - there are no obvious contact problems between XLRs/JACKs. I "buzzed" the XLR/JACK sockets and PCB solders with multimeter - no issues there.

Interesting thing is that when I use jack output instead of XLR from mixer - I get signal when jack is half inserted (thus shorted), but it is clearly louder than the other channel that's working fine. When I insert it fully - sound is gone.

Any obvious advice? Just keep checking for any shorts or cuts further down the chain? Or I should still go for XLR and jack socket replacement?  :)

Might aswell have the mixer checked by some audio repair dealer - but what a heck, where's the DIY spirit then? :)

If there is a TRS insert jack check that the switch contact isn't dirty. Sometimes you can clear the problem just by plugging into it a few times of making a jumper cable with tip connected to ring.

JR

Back