Yamaha mixing consoles (DM2000, DM1000, 02R96, 01V96, ...) color finish

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadejm

Hello!

A bit of a weird question, I don't know if it belongs in this thread...
Has anyone ever dealt with "retouching" front panels of Yamaha mixing consoles? I mean DM2000, DM1000, 02R96, ...
I am restoring an older one and I would like to know which colour ("blue-grey") is the original used? Maybe according to the RAL scale?

With a colleague who has a car body shop, we tried to mix according to the sample, but we didn't hit the mark exactly...

TNX!

With a colleague who has a car body shop, we tried to mix according to the sample, but we didn't hit the mark exactly...

Car body shops and Car paint shops have a sort of machine where they scan a color by pointing an handheld photo scanner to the paint and it gives the code for that color.

That's how I got the color code for my car's paint.

You should try that out, go to a Car Paint shop that has one of those machines

Car body shops and Car paint shops have a sort of machine where they scan a color by pointing an handheld photo scanner to the paint and it gives the code for that color.

That's how I got the color code for my car's paint.

You should try that out, go to a Car Paint shop that has one of those machines
Thanks, Whoops!

Like I said, I was at a friend's workshop who has a "paint mixing machine" and is a car painter. He scanned with "photo scanner" and then he mixed the colors based on the scan. The original "scanned" was a little too silver, then he did another one, it's too greenish, then another one, it's a little too dark... :/ That's why I'm asking if anyone knows the exact code, if anyone has done this before :)

That's why I'm asking if anyone knows the exact code, if anyone has done this before :)

Mate you have to understand that those digital consoles are very old, they're dinosaurs,
and what that means in terms of paint is that even if you got the original code it would not match the colour of your console because that paint is 24 years old now so the paint changed over the years.
New paint with the original color code will not match it.

That's why your best and only option is scanning in a professional car paint shop,
I have to be honest that if you friend was not able to match the color it's because he is not very good at it, I'm sorry but that's the honest truth.
I went many times to a pro car paint shop in my city and they are always able to match the color of the item pretty well, so well that you don't notice the re-touch

Mate you have to understand that those digital consoles are very old, they're dinosaurs,
and what that means in terms of paint is that even if you got the original code it would not match the colour of your console because that paint is 24 years old now so the paint changed over the years.
New paint with the original color code will not match it.

That's why your best and only option is scanning in a professional car paint shop,
I have to be honest that if you friend was not able to match the color it's because he is not very good at it, I'm sorry but that's the honest truth.
I went many times to a pro car paint shop in my city and they are always able to match the color of the item pretty well, so well that you don't notice the re-touch
Yes, I know, but these dinosaurs still work superbly and I can't find (and don't even need) a modern replacement :)
As for my colleague, I thought about what you say... maybe I should find someone else who might be better...

Yes, I know, but these dinosaurs still work superbly and I can't find (and don't even need) a modern replacement

There's million modern replacements for those crappy mixers that are 50x times better,
but that was not the discussion and I was not addressing my opinion on the mixers, I was talking in terms of the paint, and the fact that it doesn't mater if you get the original color code or not because the paint on those mixers after 20 or 25 years changed enough to not match the original color, and as you've said you wanted to paint "retouch" the pannels then you need to match the actual present day aged paint and not the original color code.

There's million modern replacements for those crappy mixers that are 50x times better,
but that was not the discussion and I was not addressing my opinion on the mixers, I was talking in terms of the paint, and the fact that it doesn't mater if you get the original color code or not because the paint on those mixers after 20 or 25 years changed enough to not match the original color, and as you've said you wanted to paint "retouch" the pannels then you need to match the actual present day aged paint and not the original color code.
And which mixers are 50x better? :) Just to know your opinion :) TNX

And which mixers are 50x better? :) Just to know your opinion :) TNX

Hi mate,
those very old Yamaha digital mixers were the beginning of the compact digital mixers, AD and DA converter technology was not great at the time, it was very primitive, as it was clocking, DSP, internal processing, summing and effects. The analog circuitry was not great also as those mixer were made to have a very competitive (budget) compared to other options at the time.
They were useful for sure back then when there weren't a lot of options in terms of digital mixers, and of course digital mixers also offered to advantages over an analog setup, but sound was never a strong point of any of those mixers, and you can also join there the LS9 and the M7CL.

Actually all those Yamaha mixers from the late 90s and early 00s, were the culprits for the bad reputation Digital Mixers had until around 2010 when compared to analogue setups.

AD and DA converter technology, clocking, DSP and internal processing had outstanding developments and improvements in the last 25 years,
it's very far from that ancient Digital technology.
So anything at the present is better than any of those mixers, anything really.

And that's the reason that I don't know and never seen any Professional sound engineer using any of those Yamaha mixers in 2024,
and their memories of using them, like myself, are not great.

My 2 cents, now let's go back to paint because that's the goal of this thread and helping you getting paint was the only reason I wrote in this thread

Last edited:
You have an interesting thinking :) Not to go too long off topic, but I have to write a few words...

I know the history, don't worry. :) I've been in production since 95, and I've had most of the equipment that's been around during these years, I know what the differences are and what the advantages are. I'm not going to convince the convinced :)

After all, what is important is what enables a person to achieve a top result. :) Doesn't matter if it's Behringer or SSL.
Among other things, DM2000 allows me to do that. And this mixing desk is a piece of equipment that I will probably never replace. With a reason :)

Have a nice day!

Mate,
I couldn't care less about what you use, use whatever you like, I didn't criticize anyone's choices
I just wanted to help you with the paint.

have fun

Last edited:
Back