Your favorite free CAD Solution?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of 3D CAD and limited online solutions, is there a standard file format for 3D drawing like there is dxf for 2D. If there is, do the limited online versions allow you to download you drawings in a none proprietary format so you could at least look at them in a viewer?

Cheers

ian
There are actually two (2) independent and separate "neutral" file formats that almost all of the 3D CAD-design software programs use which allows a 3D CAD-design output from one program to be loaded into a different 3D CAD-design program. As Ccaudle has just mentioned, the -- STEP -- file (that has a file extension of either -- .stp -- or as -- .step -- depending upon the vendor) is one format that is frequently used. The other well-known 3D CAD-design output file is called -- IGES -- (that has a file extension of either -- .igs -- or as -- .iges -- (depending upon the source provider). The -- IGES -- file format is kind of supposed to be somewhat of an "industry standard" file format, but the -- STEP -- format seems to have become more popular with people.

You need to also be aware that depending upon a variety of factors, when you import either an -- .iges -- or a -- .stp -- file into your 3D CAD-program, there is a strong possibility that whatever it is that you are importing will come into your program very much like an AutoCAD "block" item. Meaning.....that even though the original item may have consisted of several different "parts", the entire entity will load-in as a single cohesive "block" or item that cannot be worked upon individually. Not always.....but, very frequently.

However, I have personally found another file format file that seems to also work extremely well and it is in a format from a 3D CAD-design program called "ParaSolid". Its file extension is shown to be either as -- .x_t -- or as -- .x_b -- depending on how you want your output data to be either ASCII or binary.

This is where I have (accidentally) discovered that the -- .x_t -- file format has worked out well for me. I have had other Designers output their mechanical designs from whatever program that they are using in the -- .x_t -- format and e-mail that file to me. Then, when I import that file into my SolidWorks Premium 3D Mechanical Design program, the imported item appears to me just as though it was a native SolidWorks designed item. I am able to change/edit/move, etc. fasteners, sheet-metal, imported components and other items just as though I had designed the item myself using SolidWorks. > Your mileage may vary!!! <

I have seen in another thread that you are needing some type of a -- sloped enclosure -- design for something. Since I have the full-blown SolidWorks Premium 3D Mechanical Design program that doesn't have any of the limitations that the -- FREE -- types of programs do, then perhaps I may be able to assist you with your sloped enclosure design. Should you desire any assistance with your enclosure design, just let me know, OK??? I'm here.....

[so you could at least look at them in a viewer?] -- 1) That would depend upon whatever the capabilities of whatever software that you are using. 2) There is an online viewer for almost everything available if you look hard enough!!! Here is a link to a program that can do 150 different translations including -- STEP to GERBER -- and even -- DWG to STEP -- and what may be important to many on this forum, there is even a -- DWG to GERBER -- translation!!! ENJOY!!!

https://www.numericalinnovations.com/blogs/news/ace-translator-3000-includes-over-150-translators
/

Attachments

• JBW-Designed - Power AC Distribution Floor Chassis F&R Views.pdf
    282.4 KB · Views: 3
Now I find that as counter intuitive as sketchup. I tried to draw an enclosure with a sloping front. No joy.

Cheers

Ian
There are other ways of obtaining a "sloping front" enclosure. Here's one:
1672117273322.png

I have also attached a few CAD-files of this enclosure that you should be able to import into your CAD-program, one way or another. (NOTE: The file with the -- .txt -- extension NEEDS TO BE RENAMED TO BE A -- .stp -- file!!! This forum does not allow named CAD-files to be directly uploaded). Or.....you can tell me what you are looking for and I could design one for you!!! See attached "JBW-Designed" PDF file.

/

Attachments

• JBW-Designed - Power AC Distribution Floor Chassis F&R Views.pdf
    282.4 KB · Views: 0
  • For Ian -- M5330109 - 3D PDF.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • For Ian -- M5330109.dxf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • For Ian -- M5330109.pdf
    160.5 KB · Views: 0
  • For Ian -- M5330109.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • For Ian -- Unidesk Catalog.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi, I have a lote of background using AutoCAD (2D) in my dayjob. (Industrial desinger) For creating 2D dxf files to send out for machining on my personal diy electronic projects I've recently found the free version of nanoCAD. It's pretty much 1:1 clone of AutoCAD circa 2008. Most of the commands are the same. I was at home in no time.

https://nanocad.com/products/nanocad-free/
The installation procedure is not very straightforward and requires some personal data (name, email...) to receive the serial number but so far is working really really great.

For vector graphics I'm trying to learn inkscape as an alternative to adobe illustrator. That one is taking more time for me.

Latest posts

Back