youtube about the SVT and cab

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

interesting youtube about the SVT and cab. I was watching another yt and this was one of the video recommendations shown on the side.
I fixed a tube SVT amp once and will never work on one again it is heavy and hard to move around.
IMO you should use a dedicated fixture to hold it to work on it safety.

Changed capacitors in a 300 W version. They were low temp and sitting directly near all the 6550s. Very low in height so I had to get spares from the distributor. Bound to fail again due to heat.

cool thanks for sharing. i’ve seen the issues with those things for fixing as well (SVT2 - my own ones), but I gotta say - I do REALLY, REALLLY LOVE TO PLAY THEM too much to not give them the service they deserve :)

despite - old swr amps are in my opinion even worse to fix (i had to replace pots and caps in a 30 years old swr, don‘t remember the model) …I‘m not sure if that really pays as it was a lot of time to get the boards outs.

I hear you, both regarding SVTs and SWRs. I had two SWRs and they are built like Fort Knox. PCBs are the very last thing you will get out of the box for service. They are very time consuming to work on.

My SVT is sitting in my basement, waiting for a recap. My wife helped me schlepping it from my car to the workshop. She became very angry and said she won´t help me getting it out. Back in my touring days I´ve been moving the SVT stack alone. These days are long gone, but I still love how it sounds.

Back