DIY patch pannel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Hi

I`m planning to rewire my studio, I`d like to use 2x 48 point patch pannels, and keep it as cheap as possible and efficient...

I`ve been looking to patch pannels, but the ones with solder connections in the rear side are too expensive, and multiplying the number of connectors isn`t cheap either...

So I thinked in that Jacks wich have extra pins for shorting the signal when a connector is plugged.

Could I make a rack pannel with 48 Jacks and then solder (A lot, I know) the wires to them?

I think it would be cheap, not easy, but better, and actually less soldering work than doubling the wire and connectors...

Any experience or advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

as long as each jack has a switching lug you are all set! good luck on the soldering!

remember though, a lot of those patchbays have a way to support the wheight of all that wire!

I personally wouldn't even think about doing it that way.... patchbays are designed to put up with a lot of abuse, and that setup is just
asking for trouble IMHO.  In any case, you can get a 48 point pb on ebay for fifty or sixty bucks.  Hell, I've got a pair that I could sell you if
you want.

cheers

Well, It`s not only for the money, but for the doubled number of connectors and wiring...

I`m not sure, I have to think about this deeply

Thank

In the long run it is lest costly to build patchbays that have soilder connections in the back, be it TT or b-gauge. Yes something like the DBX patchbays are inexpensive bit add up all the 1/4 plugs you would need and the fact they break easily and it's not worth it. Depending on location, it's possible to by pre-wired patchbays off craigslist on the cheap. Then just rewire the normals to your needs and your done.

I'M in Spain, not so many market around...

So, cost it's about the same, a bit more wire, less connectors, but, is it as reliable as a premade patch? Obviusly with a good soldering work...

Also, around 200 jacks, IMHO are asking for trouble....

Well, I'm a little studio, almost always I mix alone, I think that by the moment, I will just wire the AD's to the mixer and make some insert cables.

I just rebuild the place, christmas... I want to work a bit, and later I will make some money and decissions about, I just can't afford everything in one time to make it work as I'd like to, not giving up, but I need a bit of time, this is biggest than I thought.

Thanks to everyone for your advices and offerings, this is a nice place.

well if you worried about wiring large amounts here is a simple but easy trick to doing it and doing it quickly.

1. find a good radio station and listen while you work. I prefer triple J out of Australia

2. find a comfortable position to sit in. I usually will sit low with the bench hiring up which has me looking straight instead of looking down which hurts my neck and back

3. do 1 step at a time for all the wires before moving on. For example Start by cutting the plastic sheath for for every wire. then move onto pulling it off, etc,etc. You will waste more time doing all the steps for each wire  before moving onto the next wire. This also insures you will do it correctly.

4. have a beer or drink of our choice when finished.

other tips are keep water handy to hydrate while working.

pucho812 said:
well if you worried about wiring large amounts here is a simple but easy trick to doing it and doing it quickly.

1. find a good radio station and listen while you work. I prefer triple J out of Australia

2. find a comfortable position to sit in. I usually will sit low with the bench hiring up which has me looking straight instead of looking down which hurts my neck and back

3. do 1 step at a time for all the wires before moving on. For example Start by cutting the plastic sheath for for every wire. then move onto pulling it off, etc,etc. You will waste more time doing all the steps for each wire  before moving onto the next wire. This also insures you will do it correctly.

4. have a beer or drink of our choice when finished.

other tips are keep water handy to hydrate while working.

Don't worry, I'll have a cold Mahou (Spanish Beer) after all that soldering work, luckly I have done some similar wirings before...

Thanks for the advice

I've been thinking of making some TT patchbays and I came up with the idea of making a PCB (using TT sockets with PCB pins and switches for half norm, norm, etc..).

Is there any disadvantage of doing this? I'm only aasking because I haven't seen any similar DIY solution. I think that once you design the PCB (fairly simple) then it would be much easier to make as many bays as you want.

Latest posts

Back