APUTIS ELA M251 capsule holders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trans4funks1 said:
Is the nano surface treatment the "Ballisol" product you mentioned earlier?
Bump for this question. ^
I purchased some Ballistol oil but would like to know if a nano/ceramic coating has been found to be preferable.

Bowie said:
trans4funks1 said:
Is the nano surface treatment the "Ballisol" product you mentioned earlier?
I purchased some Ballistol oil but would like to know if a nano/ceramic coating has been found to be preferable.

Hey,

No Balistol does not work. Nano shine coat is differrent product, but you must apply it strictly to instructions, otherwise it will not work as well.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Just wondering if all your M49 bodies are sold, or if you are still taking orders? I'm thinking about doing a second M49 and I love what you came up with.

Thanks,

Mike

Andriejus said:

Hey,

No Balistol does not work. Nano shine coat is differrent product, but you must apply it strictly to instructions, otherwise it will not work as well.

Kind regards,
Andrew

I got the same problem. Mine is very sensitive and getting "dirty" very quickly when touched. Where can I get a hold of this Nano shine? Also, how would you clean the body before applying ? It´s rather hard to get it evenly clean...

mrcase said:
I got the same problem. Mine is very sensitive and getting "dirty" very quickly when touched. Where can I get a hold of this Nano shine? Also, how would you clean the body before applying ? It´s rather hard to get it evenly clean...
I looked into it so I'll share what I know in case it helps.  If you're in the states, it's on eBay, shipping from EU, and will cost around $35 to $40 shipped. You can find plenty of ceramic "nano" treatments in the US under various brands that will do the same thing.  They are meant to protect car paint for months, so you don't have to wax as often. 

In the end, I decided to stick with Renaissance Wax for my mics, which doesn't last as long but is easy to apply and remove if needed, and has worked really well on my mics, guitars, guns, antiques, etc.  Lasts for a while and prevents fingerprints from damaging metal and wood surfaces, as well as prevents oxidation. It's used in museums on all sorts of things, even paintings and photographs. I love that it keeps the plated hardware on my guitars from fading and helps protect the wear areas in the finish.  If you use it, let the wax have a few min to gas out and harden before storing the mic. BTW, it doesn't leave a waxy look. It's pretty much invisible.

To clean before hand, use high purity alcohol and handle the mic with a clean cloth. Don't go crazy with the alcohol if you are doing this on commercially made mics as most have a thin, clear finish that can come off (learned this lesson on a U87).  For them, I'd just use a clean cloth, slightly dampened with RO or distilled water.

Hey all,

It is been a while since my last post there. However I came back with some bad and with some good news.

Bad news:

I temporary  stopped shipping the rest of orders until surface sensitivity to fingermarks is not solved. I have been looking for a solution so long...I tried Ballistol oil - this does not work. I tried nano coat - works, but it is not a long-term solution. I tried spraying with matte lacquer and it does not work as the lacquer won't stick hard to the surface.

Good news:

I have made a new tool which enables me to make radius of the vertical flat brass bar on the headgrille (see pictures attached).
This makes the part look not only more precise and professional, but also enables me to make better looking joints between upper and lower rings. I know it is not very essential and maybe it is not so visible in pictures, but I am now closer to the perfection :)

IMG_590-vi.jpg

IMG_8942-vi.jpg

IMG_8954-vi.jpg

So, I will have more news next week. I will inform you all about new plating and etc.
Thank you for your patience.

Meanwhile, those who have received their kits, please share some build pictures or any other pictures related to Aputis body kits. I am launching my e-shop, so this could be a nice visual info for it.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Andrew

Now M49.

Still working on plastic and tefflon parts. I am planing to start making headgrilles next week when the new "T" brass strips arrive (made some little design updates there). It took longer as "T" brass strips are custom made which means that I had to order new extrusion mold. I do hope to start shipping these soon, so that you all will be able to receive them. Thank you for your patience again. I guarantee it will be worth the wait :) There will also be some more nice stuff related to M49 when Aputis webstore is opened. Stay tuned :)

Kind regards,
Andrew

Those posts really help to appreciate the quality and dedication put into these, and it does put the waiting time in perspective. Thanks Andrew.

I have received 1 of 2 microphones that I ordered. If you are changing the plating process, will I now end up with a visually mismatched pair that was intended to be as close to a matched pair when I started this this back in August of 2015? Could you please send me a body before the process changes? I'll just wear gloves if that's the only way to deal with this issue. :-\

iturnknobs said:
I have received 1 of 2 microphones that I ordered. If you are changing the plating process, will I now end up with a visually mismatched pair that was intended to be as close to a matched pair when I started this this back in August of 2015? Could you please send me a body before the process changes? I'll just wear gloves if that's the only way to deal with this issue. :-\

Ok :)

iturnknobs said:

You have received 2 mics of 3.  And i thought it should be enough to increase your patience for waitting the last mic. However i will be glad to refund you asap.

Best,
Andrew

I have no idea about it but this is what Apple claims to use on their touch display:

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

Great work Andrew!!

Latest posts

Back