APUTIS ELA M251 capsule holders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phrazemaster said:
Only thing is, the plastic cup covers the "hi-z" section so I would think be a good isolator/dust deterrant in the long run.

There are differences. In the original M49 there are three brass standoffs on the hi-z board that connects the hi-z section with the capsule cables on top of the plastic cup. The standoffs also holds the plastic cup in place.

There are no such standoffs on Poctops PCB. The cables from the hi-z section have to run all the way from the hi-z board to the capsule (as I understand it).  That is not very practical. You will probably have to splice the capsule cables somewhere along the way.

Dust and moisture protection is good, and was used in both the M49 and the ELA M-microphones. But you have to remember that these mics where used for everything back in the day. Even outside, on location. You don't see that kind of encapsulation in modern microphones (and they are even more "hi-z" then the old ones).

As for isolation: Air is a very good isolator. The only better isolator is vacuum.  :)

- Stefan

Yes good points. But the dust/dirt issue is real and I appreciate having that protection. How do capsules get dirty over the years? Same studio environment. Spit, sure, but also dust, etc. Not for the insulation protection as you say, but really for the high-z section remaining pristine.

In any case I have to completely agree with you it's a shame there has to be a long length of wire for the capsule connections through the plastic; I think this will be unwieldy and I worry about having a long length of capsule line here. Such sensitive wires. I guess since Andrew was using Poctop's boards this was all he could come up with. You'd need a redesign of Dany's boards to implement a more correct and functional plastic top.

So, yeah, I agree with your general assessment.

Hey all,

Half of plated bodies arrived! Plating looks awesome!

thumb_IMG_0714_1025-vi.jpg

thumb_IMG_0715_1024-vi.jpg

Kind regards,
Andrew

The plated U47 bodies looks beautiful, Andrew!

Question: The price for one of the unfinished brass U47 bodies is 250 euros. The price for a finished U47 body (in your first post) is only 230 euros. What's that about?

Hey, this is because these were made from a high grade expensive brass. Finished bodies are made from aluminium, exept headgrille. :)

Are you producing to have in stock or just to complete old orders?  Would seem to be a good idea to make more than you have orders for.

I will be buying at least 2 och each as soon as i can see faster transactions. 

Please count me in for one u-47 body with the bead blasted head basket.
What do I do to send you logo info?

Thank you,

John

Studiomotion said:
Are you producing to have in stock or just to complete old orders?  Would seem to be a good idea to make more than you have orders for.

I will be buying at least 2 och each as soon as i can see faster transactions.

Hey,

yes I know that producing to the stock is better, but I have experience many financial setbacks in manufacturing process. Now I am getting better and after shipping all orders I will start producing to stock.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hey all,

Just shipped some to France, Norway, USA and UK. Please check your e-mails for tracking numbers. Continuing packing and shipping to others. Stay tuned :)

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi,

how many of you are out there who have ordered, completely payed for and are still waiting for their M49 bodies ?
I have ordered and payed for 2 x M49 in December 2015.
Not for my life had I thought it would take this awful lot of time ...

Just courious
Manfred.

Back