Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lassoharp said:
Trump puts out a lot of anger, and angry people - who arguably are less concerned with the rights of others in which they claim to be  protesting for - are attracted to that.   

I don't think that's fair.

I should have clarified that a little better.  The '"angry people"  I was referring to were of the former group you mentioned - those who have anger issues and latch on to that vibe and go to the Trump rallies seeking an outlet.  Though sometimes it's hard to say for sure that a given person falls fully in that category.  A casual friend of mine recently tried to rally a bunch of people into attending a local Trump event.  On the surface this person is known for being very "politically concerned and active".  His opinions are lucid and he's very aware of what's going on in the world - but is just as equally often unaware of what's going on in his own life.  Get's fired from jobs left and right and doesn't see his own role in it and has had a very hard time moving forward with things.  So there is a good bit of projection going on - anger at himself that gets mixed in with his genuine concern over national politics.  Luckily all of his other friends talked him out of going.  They could all see trouble coming. 

And so I suppose I'm saying that I agree that we have laws and rights and they should be obeyed and respected until they shouldn't, and there needs to be a discussion about how we determine when they shouldn't.

The very critical, IMO, details of what led to the things that most upset us re violence at protests are unfortunately never thoroughly examined by the media (left or right).  I think it is very important to know exactly what happened when say, the police end up physically attacking someone, or when the police are attacked.  If there are clear boundaries that protesters aren't allowed to cross (and we'll assume it's in accordance with the laws) and someone crosses them that's one case.  If the police drag someone to the ground just because that person said something that made the police officer lose their temper then it's another case.  But instead of objectivity we often get stories with a bias to one side or the other.  I would personally prefer to see combating media bias by aiming for stark objectivity.  My own experience with trying to promote that type of reality is that it often ends up being the lost duck in the middle of the road.  People like to believe what they want to believe 

I for one see a problem with waiting when it comes to certain issues because if those issues involve enacting legislation then it can have severe ripple effects that make protesting a far worse crime, from the perspective of the state, and thus far more difficult to do.

Sometimes you can see something coming yet you can't.  Many people feared the worst when the republicans took majority control in NC and McCrory was elected governor.  But most of the bills have been passed in a behind closed doors manner with little media coverage.  HB2 was a hasty reaction and done quickly.  Now if McCrory were to make it publicly known beforehand what he intends to do on future bills I think you have  case for protesting early just based on his words, because he's already in a position of power and has a track record for doing what he says.  Hindsight would say people should have protested long before.  Definitely no easy answers. 

I agree.

I am not ignoring you, but have responded to these exact arguments before it seems multiple times.  If not with you, perhaps with others that I have engaged with over the years, here and on other forums. I am weary about re-writing long detailed answers every time, so I may host a few web pages with concise fleshed out answers that I can just link to. 

But not today, I'm busy.  argue among yourselves for now.  8)

JR 
mattiasNYC said:
JohnRoberts said:
Dishonest? (while I do have better things to do with my time than this right now).

I'm too lazy to search for the last time I answered that theme, but IIRC there was significant energy (oil/ gas) revenue supporting the Scandinavian government largess...

Scandinavia isn't just one country, and just one country in Scandinavia has large amounts of oil. For the rest of it, or the Nordic countries if you prefer, that did not apply.

JohnRoberts said:
A very homogeneous population (at least it was before all the recent immigration) tolerated high tax rates in return for high government services.

What does homogeneity have to do with anything? It's an argument I see thrown out by "the right" all the time when discussing Scandinavia, as if it was inherently an argument, in and by itself. Rarely is it accompanied by a thoughtful explanation of just why it's relevant.

JohnRoberts said:
I do recall one high tech Scandinavian company complaining that their "superior" education system doesn't teach students computer programming, so they can't find enough skilled workers, but that may be a single company anecdote. 

It's probably true. But education provides an exellent example of the problem with Capitalism, because when I grew up our program had us study typing and programming on a very basic level because it was thought to be relevant to our industry (finance at the time I was studying). However, state-funded and operated education was subjected to private competition and ever since a lot fo metrics have shown a decline in results. Not only that, but for the first time in... ever... we've seen students show up for their first day of school only to find a sign on the door saying the school went bankrupt. No message sent to parents or anything. Of course the parent company made a big profit and did itself not go bankrupt.

My point is merely that wealth, the way I see it, is goods and services of intrinsic value to the population. As societies we organize to manage resources so we can create wealth. A corporation in a capitalist market is one such organization, and so is a government. The corporation itself doesn't create wealth, and neither does the government, but the people employed by either do. It's an absolute falsehood to say that a government can't create wealth, because it can, just like a corporation can: By employing humans to do the work necessary.

Whether or not it is "successful" in various situations, and actually what "successful" entails in the first place,  are different issues.

So it's a sure thing Trump is the candidate now, right? Or is there any way in which the Republicans could or would actually choose a different candidate?

mattiasNYC said:
So it's a sure thing Trump is the candidate now, right? Or is there any way in which the Republicans could or would actually choose a different candidate?
Yes, it appears he will get the number of delegates required to prevent a contested convention. About the only way he could be thwarted was with funny business rules changes at the convention after not winning the first round, but now he should win on the first round by acclimation. 

Should be a nasty general election campaign against Hillary, since both will probably take the low road in attacking each other. Trump appears to give as good as he gets when it comes to deflecting and returning personal attacks. So it will be an entertaining campaign season for news media who feed off conflict.

All the mud slinging will be good for TV advertising revenue, so at least somebody wins from this.

JR

PS: I decided against publishing formal web pages (If I don't have time for this I don't have time for that), so I will respond to your above comments with a normal reply, perhaps multiple replies since you covered a lot of ground, just not today. 

I'm getting the feeling that all Hillary needs to do really is to stick to the issues and dodge bullets, i.e. not stoop to his level. She's got the black vote, she's got the Hispanic vote, she's got the womens vote, and she'll get a lot of votes from Democrats that don't fit those categories, so I have a hard time seeing how she'll lose without alienating one of those bigger groups.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize the upcoming campaign as potentially entertaining as much as depressing though..... Perhaps entertaining in that "let's watch this car-crash-afermath, even though the gore is stomach-turning" (I like hyphens btw)....

PS: No worries regarding your PS.

What does homogeneity have to do with anything? It's an argument I see thrown out by "the right" all the time when discussing Scandinavia, as if it was inherently an argument, in and by itself. Rarely is it accompanied by a thoughtful explanation of just why it's relevant.
I would say that homogeneity was a good thing if that implies a more equal society.  One of the worst things about capitalism is that it accentuates the differences between people.  Some are dirt poor and some obscenely rich and that does not seem to bring out the best in a country.  Freedom at any cost sounds like a great idea when you live under an oppressive regime, but it does not provide a level playing field IMO.  Darwin's law in action  is very messy in a social context.  The richest 1% are able to construct a society where their kind can flourish, the poor have no such opportunity.  That is partly what gives Trump and Sanders their supporting demographics, Washington has become part of the rich guys system.  That is doubly ironic as Trump was given the odd $M to start his career.

DaveP

DaveP said:
I would say that homogeneity was a good thing if that implies a more equal society.  One of the worst things about capitalism is that it accentuates the differences between people.  Some are dirt poor and some obscenely rich and that does not seem to bring out the best in a country.  Freedom at any cost sounds like a great idea when you live under an oppressive regime, but it does not provide a level playing field IMO.  Darwin's law in action  is very messy in a social context.  The richest 1% are able to construct a society where their kind can flourish, the poor have no such opportunity.  That is partly what gives Trump and Sanders their supporting demographics, Washington has become part of the rich guys system.  That is doubly ironic as Trump was given the odd $M to start his career.

DaveP

I don't disagree I think, though most of the time "homogeneity" seems to refer to ethnicity/race/tribe etc. I don't think capitalism cares about such things at all. The problem in the US is that if what you say is true (and I think it is) it exacerbates the differences because the poor are found more in some ethnic groups than others, but that's because of a history that had little to do with capitalism in a sense and a lot more to do with... well... crap.....

But yeah, I agree with you.

mattiasNYC said:
I'm getting the feeling that all Hillary needs to do really is to stick to the issues and dodge bullets, i.e. not stoop to his level. She's got the black vote, she's got the Hispanic vote, she's got the womens vote, and she'll get a lot of votes from Democrats that don't fit those categories, so I have a hard time seeing how she'll lose without alienating one of those bigger groups.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize the upcoming campaign as potentially entertaining as much as depressing though..... Perhaps entertaining in that "let's watch this car-crash-afermath, even though the gore is stomach-turning" (I like hyphens btw)....
This year's campaign has generated higher TV ratings for debates and higher voter turn out (at least on the republican side).

The Donald's reality TV style of ad hominum attack has drawn a lot of attention, and criticism.
PS: No worries regarding your PS.
I haven't forgot but want to do them justice so I may not have to keep repeating myself.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I'm too lazy to search for the last time I answered that theme, but IIRC there was significant energy (oil/ gas) revenue supporting the Scandinavian government largess...
mattiasNYC said:
Scandinavia isn't just one country, and just one country in Scandinavia has large amounts of oil. For the rest of it, or the Nordic countries if you prefer, that did not apply.

WIKI sez said:
Economic system[edit]
The Nordic model is underpinned by a free market capitalist economic system that features high degrees of private ownership[5] with the exception of Norway, which includes a large number of state-owned enterprises and state ownership in publicly listed firms.[22]

The Nordic model is described as a system of competitive capitalism combined with a large percentage of the population employed by the public sector (roughly 30% of the work force).[23] In 2013, The Economist described its countries as "stout free-traders who resist the temptation to intervene even to protect iconic companies" while also looking for ways to temper capitalism's harsher effects, and declared that the Nordic countries "are probably the best-governed in the world".[24][25] Some economists have referred to the Nordic economic model as a form of "cuddly" capitalism, with low levels of inequality, generous welfare states and reduced concentration of top incomes, and contrast it with the more "cut-throat" capitalism of the United States, which has high levels of inequality and a larger concentration of top incomes.[10][26][27]

Beginning in the 1990s, the Swedish economy pursued neoliberal reforms[28][29] that reduced the role of the public sector, leading to the fastest growth in inequality of any OECD economy.[30] However, Sweden's income inequality still remains lower than most other countries.[31]

OK this is a starting point...

yes, Norway is the big dog for exploiting  energy resources, but Maersk oil is a Danish company with drilling all around the world.  Including being active in UK north sea.  I haven't researched every single country.

JohnRoberts said:
A very homogeneous population (at least it was before all the recent immigration) tolerated high tax rates in return for high government services.
mattiasNYC ] What does homogeneity have to do with anything? It's an argument I see thrown out by "the right" all the time when discussing Scandinavia said:
I do recall one high tech Scandinavian company complaining that their "superior" education system doesn't teach students computer programming, so they can't find enough skilled workers, but that may be a single company anecdote. 

It's probably true. But education provides an exellent example of the problem with Capitalism, because when I grew up our program had us study typing and programming on a very basic level because it was thought to be relevant to our industry (finance at the time I was studying). However, state-funded and operated education was subjected to private competition and ever since a lot fo metrics have shown a decline in results. Not only that, but for the first time in... ever... we've seen students show up for their first day of school only to find a sign on the door saying the school went bankrupt. No message sent to parents or anything. Of course the parent company made a big profit and did itself not go bankrupt.
[/quote]
If a school does not create valuable results it should go out of business. As I've shared before in So Korea where there is a very competitive threshold to realize higher education, some tutors are literally millionaires from fees they receive from internet coaching/instruction. In the US I worry that education has become an instrument to influence the children. If not intentional, that seems to be the result.
My point is merely that wealth, the way I see it, is goods and services of intrinsic value to the population. As societies we organize to manage resources so we can create wealth. A corporation in a capitalist market is one such organization, and so is a government. The corporation itself doesn't create wealth, and neither does the government, but the people employed by either do. It's an absolute falsehood to say that a government can't create wealth, because it can, just like a corporation can: By employing humans to do the work necessary.

Whether or not it is "successful" in various situations, and actually what "successful" entails in the first place,  are different issues.

Yes, we have a fundamental difference of opinion about the government's ability to manage resources and spend our money more wisely than we would.  Right now we have a worst of both worlds where the government has recently muscled into major fractions of the private economy (healthcare, energy, etc) without a buy in from the full population. I do not consider this a good use of government force.

JR

PS: a recent healthcare anecdote. My 86YO neighbor from across the street, wasn't around all last week, the gossipy lady postmaster said he was in the hospital. When I hadn't seen him by Friday afternoon I decided to run over to the nearest hospital to see him. I had visited him at that hospital the time he broke his hip a while back and was in there recuperating. But when I looked up the hospital phone number, I found that they had closed last year. Apparently the government withheld some emergency room funding support, and they were already losing money, so completely shut down.  I am not sure that the fact that MS did not expand medicaid to support obamacare, is just an unrelated coincidence. My closest hospital is now 25 miles away instead of 10 miles. I think I will continue with my plan to avoid all hospitals.  8)  I guess as a libertarian if my closest hospital can't make a profit it doesn't deserve to prosper, while I worry about the huge disruptions in the industry already (lots of hospitals consolidating and buying private practices to capture more fees and control of healthcare options.).

John,

My point regarding Scandinavia was simply that wealth can be created by governments. You said it can't, I say it can. The proof is that Scandinavian governments have done so. Whether or not it is optimal (or a net positive) for governments to do it as opposed to corporations is a very different question.

While it may seem like pointless semantics it's actually not. The distinction is crucial. After all, if a person suggests a system that involves a government producing wealth then if it were true that a government actually can not produce wealth in the first place would make the proposition unworkable if implemented. And thus we need not even discuss the matter beyond "Governments can't produce wealth". And THAT is the problem. Making that statement only seems to intend to shut down discussion because of an incorrect assumption.

When it comes to Sweden's decline the key is in the text you quoted. In the past century Sweden made great strides and became the envy and posterchild for certain ways of running a country. High levels of benefits, high taxes, more or less free services, a large government sector etc. But a happy, educated and healthy population. Not to mention wealthy. But the last paragraph indeed points out the decline, due to "neoliberal reforms".

Homogeneity actually plays little part in all of this. Sweden had big influxes of immigrants in the 70's/80's due to war in the middle east as well as the cold war and wars in south/central-America. No problem. People integrated and paid their dues. The current wave of immigration is post-neoliberalization, and thus after we began to see what I would characterize as a decline. In fact, those pushing for change haven't been those of lesser means, a demographic in which we find immigrants, but instead those with means. And it's clear why that's the case; neoliberalization increases their wealth. Has nothing to do with homogeneity.

"If a school does not create valuable results it should go out of business." Well, that's one way of looking at it. There's a big problem with that view though, or actually two problems;

a) we don't know that the bancrupcy is due to it not being able to create "valuable results". AS a matter of fact, from the standpoint of capitalism "valuable" = profit. Period. So, a business can operate at a loss on paper, while actually producing net wealth. But using creative accounting it can be made to operate at a "loss", and thus move into bankrupcy. And indeed, as I said, the problem wasn't that the school wasn't creating valuable results or wasn't profitable, it was that accounting allowed for the parent company to extract money out of it and then get rid of it. The parent company still made a big profit. That's how capitalism works.

b) just how do you measure "valuable results"? While you could have argued that your point is broader (in which case I partially agree) and that a school that leaves us with poorly educated students should reform or cease to exist, from a "money value" perspective it's entirely reasonable for a school to operate at a loss if it is government owned, but where society as a whole then sees a net gain from it. The money comes back from taxes which one is able to receive because the more and better educated population creates more wealth.

So again; my point was that Socialism does NOT have a problem because governments can NOT create wealth, they can. Some countries have problems when governments create wealth because the management  is poor - BUT - the same is true for corporations. So the real question is what level of democracy we want when it comes to just how we manage our resources and wealth.

mattiasNYC said:
John,

My point regarding Scandinavia was simply that wealth can be created by governments. You said it can't, I say it can. The proof is that Scandinavian governments have done so. Whether or not it is optimal (or a net positive) for governments to do it as opposed to corporations is a very different question.
Yes, I forgot that, I'm not avoiding it.

Yes, government can create wealth. There is nothing in theory preventing that, and the Chinese government is the more recent poster boy for creating a lot of wealth.

My response was shorthand for the historical reality that government generally destroys far more wealth than it ever creates, and is generally less efficient at managing resources. 
While it may seem like pointless semantics it's actually not. The distinction is crucial. After all, if a person suggests a system that involves a government producing wealth then if it were true that a government actually can not produce wealth in the first place would make the proposition unworkable if implemented. And thus we need not even discuss the matter beyond "Governments can't produce wealth". And THAT is the problem. Making that statement only seems to intend to shut down discussion because of an incorrect assumption.
I concede the theoretical point, but argue in practice (with very few exceptions) government is a net wealth destroyer. The question is what "will" government do, not what "can" government do.
When it comes to Sweden's decline the key is in the text you quoted. In the past century Sweden made great strides and became the envy and posterchild for certain ways of running a country. High levels of benefits, high taxes, more or less free services, a large government sector etc. But a happy, educated and healthy population. Not to mention wealthy. But the last paragraph indeed points out the decline, due to "neoliberal reforms".

Homogeneity actually plays little part in all of this. Sweden had big influxes of immigrants in the 70's/80's due to war in the middle east as well as the cold war and wars in south/central-America. No problem. People integrated and paid their dues. The current wave of immigration is post-neoliberalization, and thus after we began to see what I would characterize as a decline. In fact, those pushing for change haven't been those of lesser means, a demographic in which we find immigrants, but instead those with means. And it's clear why that's the case; neoliberalization increases their wealth. Has nothing to do with homogeneity.

"If a school does not create valuable results it should go out of business." Well, that's one way of looking at it. There's a big problem with that view though, or actually two problems;

a) we don't know that the bancrupcy is due to it not being able to create "valuable results". AS a matter of fact, from the standpoint of capitalism "valuable" = profit. Period. So, a business can operate at a loss on paper, while actually producing net wealth. But using creative accounting it can be made to operate at a "loss", and thus move into bankrupcy. And indeed, as I said, the problem wasn't that the school wasn't creating valuable results or wasn't profitable, it was that accounting allowed for the parent company to extract money out of it and then get rid of it. The parent company still made a big profit. That's how capitalism works.
Schools do not operate with a traditional P/L relationship. More like a service industry so the question remains, what is a satisfactory outcome? We all want our children to be prepared to succeed in life. I worry that the public is poorly equipped with scientific literacy, and even weak understanding of civics (including comparative government systems).  It seems parents these days do not participate adequately in steering their children's education, perhaps a consequence of their poor education.  The dominant force in education seems to be the teacher's unions arguing loudly against testing , perhaps because they fear being held accountable for their work product.  Life is a constant test, education is just another process to manage, and testing reveals how effective the teachers are.
b) just how do you measure "valuable results"? While you could have argued that your point is broader (in which case I partially agree) and that a school that leaves us with poorly educated students should reform or cease to exist, from a "money value" perspective it's entirely reasonable for a school to operate at a loss if it is government owned, but where society as a whole then sees a net gain from it. The money comes back from taxes which one is able to receive because the more and better educated population creates more wealth.
investing in education is one of the good things done with our tax dollars, while I have little faith that our money is spent wisely. I am optimistic that education will improve dramatically with more use of electronic media and WWW.

I just read an article where a college teaching computer science, secretly used Watson (IBM's artificial intelligence program) to successfully replace one of the teacher's assistants. These are still early days for AI assisted teaching, and I am optimistic that even teacher's unions can not hold back this tide of progress. (I hate using that word for something good).
So again; my point was that Socialism does NOT have a problem because governments can NOT create wealth, they can. Some countries have problems when governments create wealth because the management  is poor - BUT - the same is true for corporations. So the real question is what level of democracy we want when it comes to just how we manage our resources and wealth.
Ding ding ding... Both Venezuela and Norway have heavily nationalized oil industries. Norway (I ASSume) is well managed and  healthy, while Venezuela has long been on a downward trajectory, accelerated with recent oil price drops.  Since the  Venezuela government can not even deliver full time electricity, and clean water, the public is in revolt, while the government has stacked the judiciary to thwart democratic reforms.
=========

The key issue, as has been argued better than I ever could by well known economists, is the difference between central planning where government workers manage other people's money, and private industry where people far more carefully manage their personal wealth. Fredrick Hayek (Road to serfdom, and more) said it far more eloquently than I ever could.

A condensed version of "The road to serfdom" was published in readers digest in 1945. This surely had a strong influence on my parents generation (I wasn't born yet). These days socialism and communism is viewed as far more acceptable, with Bernie Sanders mounting a credible campaign to head the democratic party (ignoring the super delegates that are fixed for Hillary). 

JR

PS: The China wealth creation engine is still a work in process and too early to judge as success or failure. The combination of centrally planned large industries (like steel), with some small private industries is growing GDP far faster than the west. China gets upset when GDP growth is only single digit, while we worry about growth at all. Large industries in China suffer from over capacity and routinely dump finished goods at below cost, to destroy foreign competition.  (look at european solar power industry, and more recently european steel industry ).  I favor free trade, but never with government force on either side of the transaction. Protectionist tariffs generally amount to government picking winners and losers.  China still needs to transition from a manufacturing economy to a consumption economy and that will be the real test of their success. 

[update]
Coincidentally there was a front page article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal about the Chinese government subsidizing several of their massively over-capacity industries to keep them operating to preserve jobs after market prices for those goods have collapsed below profitable levels.  A partial list of these industries include Steel, Aluminum, solar panels, copper, etc. Selling goods below their manufacturing cost is the text book definition of dumping and causes harm to industries in other countries.  We have seen how the steel industry is struggling in UK, and the US has imposed sanctions on steel imports.

The open question is whether China's government is creating sustainable wealth with their simultaneous mismanagement and anti-competitive subsidization of several large industries. In the short term they are providing a benefit to those thousands of Chinese workers who keep their jobs, to the detriment of foreign workers who lose theirs.  I have no problem if Chinese steel gains market share in free market trade, but this is a classic case of central planning failing to forecast demand properly and refusing to adjust production down.

I guess it depends on your personal perspective. The Chinese workers who keep their jobs (so far) probably think their government is doing good, the rest of the world not so much. Historically such mismanagement ends badly, and China has been trying to engineer a soft landing for years. While China's idea of weak growth is several times ours.  :-[

It is worth noting that for years now we have been in a beggar thy neighbor currency war when every country tries to devalue their currency, to gain a competitive advantage in international trade. The US is on track to raise central bank interest rates that should nominally make the USD stronger.  Japan who has been fighting deflation for decades has recently seen their excessive monetary policy not work. Some have argued that central bankers are losing control of the economic levers they like pulling. Negative interest rates are an experiment on top of another experiment with no (economic) history to study. I am nervous about what happens when the tide finally goes out and we can see who isn't wearing swim trunks. 

[/update]

The Confessions of Congressman X is only going to help Trump's case.

Seems pretty cynical of a Democrat to publish now, it's not going to help Clinton.

DaveP

DaveP said:
The Confessions of Congressman X is only going to help Trump's case.

Seems pretty cynical of a Democrat to publish now, it's not going to help Clinton.

DaveP
I had to google that to see what you are talking about... sounds like somebody trying to promote a book.

I don't think i'll buy a copy of the book. I already hold politicians in low regard.

JR

It is worth noting that for years now we have been in a beggar thy neighbor currency war when every country tries to devalue their currency, to gain a competitive advantage in international trade.
[...]
I am nervous about what happens when the tide finally goes out and we can see who isn't wearing swim trunks. 

I don't believe in the notion of "currency war," However, I share nervousness about "tides."
[Only an aside: I think it was the US who started the devaluation game ;) ]

Maybe I*m prone to conspiracy theories and maybe I'm downright naive, but I like to believe that the US, Europe and Japan (and other industrialised countries) are trying to align and maybe even fixate their currencies (as in-1 to-1 exchange rates: 1 EUR = 1USD = 100 JPY). Not so much to gain competitive advantages among themselves (cos everybody has been doing doing it, so there is no advantage). Rather to be competitive with regard to the rest of the world, in particular China as of today.

We could then call that an attempt at stabilisation among indutrialised countries or one further step towards (transnational) globalisation -- again in preparation against Chinese antics or other countries (including East Asian ones or Africa or whoever) being on the rise economically. If this was really the case, I'd be all for it  :)

Either way,  I think that our central bankers are in much closer contact with one another before implementing QE bazookas, negative interest rates or raising interest rates again -- much closer contact than we are generally being told. I think it's all being orchestrated. Does that take away "power" from local (read: national) governments? Yes, it does. Do we want that? And what is there to gain anyway? I say if it takes away power, so what? Cos I believe it not only brings peace (among us) but also a future. I am absolutely sure that China will overtake us all in the mid tem. It's just a matter of a few more years/decades. They sure will, and when they do, I want "us" to be competitive and not perish.

Funnily enough, in Europe, those countries that complain most about the ECB's monetary policies benefit most from it. I'm thinking Germany in particular -- refinancing itself over the last couple of years by issuing massive amounts of state bonds with negative yield, ha! Sadly enough though, the populace is not being told... Instead fear is systematically fuelled that everything is going to collapse. And at the same time, those governments don*t spend the money -- dough!!! Now that can easily result in tides. But who cares, Germany is probably the best well off country in the whole of Europe. And the Brits are similar, and look at what they do -- never been part of the game but benefitting from it, while still dreaming the dream of the Empire. Ridiculous!

The problem in Europe is not the ECB and it's not their policy, it's national governments not playing the ball, meaning: they are too slow in implementing structural reforms necessary to actually prevent people from "drowning" in case the tide comes. The only ones who seem to have understood this in Europe is the political right wing, which BTW is acting transnationally(!) as of today but with the aim of preventing globalisation. Too bad!

From where I am, Japan, Europe, the US, and even Israel look more or less all on the same level. Prices are comparable today. Tokyo is no more expensive today (that's of the past) than say London, Tel Aviv/Haifa or New York. All the same! As for Japan, the economic situation is forcing a notoriously right-leaning government to open their borders and accept more immigrants to rebalance their populace (read: fertility rate and higher tax payer revenue) -- finally, gooooood, I'd say!

As for the US, I haven't got a slightest clue what they will be up to. But I'm sure Mr. T will make politics for the rich and sure has more than one a(r)ce up his sleeve for all the other issues ;)

while still dreaming the dream of the Empire

I doubt anyone under the age of 40 in the UK ever knew we had an empire ;)

There are only a few loony tunes in the conservative party who espouse such views.  The main reason they are getting support is over uncontrolled immigration to a country bursting at the seams.  We have our share of LIV's too.

DaveP

LIV?
(a) Leading International Vision
(b) Life is Viewtiful
(c) Locked In Value
(d) Low Information Voter
(e) Lowest Instrumental Vertebrae
;)

Surely immigration is fully controlled though whereas the influx of refugees might not be. The difference is important, is it not?

JohnRoberts said:
My response was shorthand for the historical reality that government generally destroys far more wealth than it ever creates, and is generally less efficient at managing resources. 

I'm not sure I agree that government generally provides a net loss of wealth. Again I think one has to first establish just what wealth is and how it's suppoesd to be measured, and only then can one talk about whether or not there's a net loss.

As for "efficiency" I think that's again highly debatable. To me anything that adds to the actual cost of the good or service that I consume is a "waste". Why  should I pay for something that doesn't directly benefit me. Of course, going down that line of reasoning will point the finger at capitalist organizations as well as governments. So I don't think it's at all clear that it's a net positive for the consumer to have a private enterprize provide goods/services compared to a non-profit organization.

JohnRoberts said:
I concede the theoretical point, but argue in practice (with very few exceptions) government is a net wealth destroyer. The question is what "will" government do, not what "can" government do.

I don't thinkk that's as interesting as what the underlying principles are for management of resources and wealth etc. What do coprorations do? They do a tremendous amount of bad things, that's what they do. Of course they also do good. Just like governments. So the question isn't what they end up doing but why it's done and how various systems promote one thing over another.

JohnRoberts said:
The dominant force in education seems to be the teacher's unions arguing loudly against testing , perhaps because they fear being held accountable for their work product.  Life is a constant test, education is just another process to manage, and testing reveals how effective the teachers are.

I'm not really sure I agree with that. I think it depends on what kind of society we want and what kind of labor market we want. Some people I see get relatively far by working hard. They aren't particularly smart or talented, just hard-working. It doesn't really make a difference what profession they're in, they'll progress within any field due to working hard (assuming of course there is "space" for progression). Others have progressed by being creative. Neither of those two require testing or high grades. That's not to say that there isn't a market for that type of education system.

JohnRoberts said:
I just read an article where a college teaching computer science, secretly used Watson (IBM's artificial intelligence program) to successfully replace one of the teacher's assistants. These are still early days for AI assisted teaching, and I am optimistic that even teacher's unions can not hold back this tide of progress. (I hate using that word for something good).

Of course that's progress, but it also progresses us towards ubiquity. And ubiquity and capitalism don't coexist. Of course teachers unions object to it as should any union in which its members are threatened with obsolescence. All of this only boils down to one's view on the potential amount of new types of labor available. I don't think there's an infinite amount of new types of jobs to soak up people not having jobs because technology made them obsolete. And the only "workable" alternatives to that are either lower wages - for a while - to compete on a Capitalist labor market, or not have Capitalism.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: The China wealth creation engine is still a work in process and too early to judge as success or failure. The combination of centrally planned large industries (like steel), with some small private industries is growing GDP far faster than the west.

Yeah, I mean, China is hardly purely Socialist. It's an odd and interesting hybrid of many things. It's an interesting time we live in.

Surely immigration is fully controlled though whereas the influx of refugees might not be. The difference is important, is it not?

The UK government cannot control immigration from EU countries due to free movement etc.  That's what the're upset about.

Refugees are a different issue as you say.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back