Feeler: Chinese K47/CK12 Capsule Groupbuy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Order when we reach minimum quantities, or move ahead with K47 only?

• K47 only

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Wait for CK12

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Don't mind either way

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
tonzauber said:
Hi Banzai,

got the capusels, got the leads, got the mounts, but no screws to mount the capsule on the saddle. Should they be included? If not, what thread is it?

Yeah, you received everything:

Capsule – M1.6
Mounts – M2

Finally, my jealousy was put to rest today - capsules arrived :)

Thanks again Banzai, for all the effort! ;D

After a forwarding delay due to a recent move, I finally received everything.

Thank you again banzai. We all appreciate your hard work.

I installed and tested the rk12 yesterday. The first impressions were very good. I had to remove one of the back plate cables to make the capsule fit in the very good elastic suspension. 

Maybe some of you should think I am a bit crule, but I bought it to my c12 The Tube.  Originally the factory says that " it is cutting through the mix without equalisation" but somehow I always have to raise about 6-10dB at 8Khz and cut 2-3dB at 500+2000Hz. Other than that it is true you really don't have to do anything. That made me nervous when I throwed up my AT875r for a rock singer guy with strong voice, and it blowed out the c12 from the water. No argue about it. And the worst (or best) is that I didn't add anything just compression to it, and it was standing out in the front of the mix. With crispy and punchy thick throat sound. And that wasn't the first time. It performed better on almost any voice. Of course the Akg is unbeatable on room sounds and kick, but for me not that is the first.

The rk12 was a tight fit (at the first try it touched the bent basket on both sides) but after some fine adjustments and removing the fine mesh it is sitting perfectly in the mic. 

This week I will have to make some records to see how it really performs and I will review the outcome of this swap.

Does anyone wish to hear some sample? :)

Guys, still haven't heard anything from:

jockl
timeye

Would love to be done with this  ;)

shot said:
Banzai,
I got back to my hometown, so you can send me my package!
:) :) :) :) :)

No problem. Needs to ship from France, so waiting for payment and news from the other guys...

Otherwise I'd have to go 5 times ;)

Hello!

As I promised here is the capsule comparison between the ck12 teflon and the rk12. The ck12's record was made a few months back in time. I am in rush to the workplace so I made a quick record this morning for you.  That kind of hit and run. The samples are starring me, and yes I can't sing... :) The mic sound is much more important.

About the test:

Both records were made with the same bad circumstances. All the records has been made in my echo camber bedroom.
The chain: Mesh pop filter-»C12 The Tube-»Shure FP42 (limiter on)-»Digi002-»Pro tools
In the music samples both mic has the same snapshot from liquid mix. I didn't have time to mix them sorry. You can hear the difference.
In my personal opinion the rk12 is not bad at all. It has a bit similar tonal character to the original ck12. What surprised me the most it has it's own sound but it is missing that living mids what the teflon capsule has. The highs has very similar touch to the old ck12 but nothing else is common. This ck12 has very good lows and mids but somehow the original open sound is far away from it. The funny thing is that meanwhile the ck12 teflon is a very good capsule it lacks that well known crunchy high mids. On the opposite side the rk12 has only the crunchy high mids, but nothing else is good in that capsule.
I don't like the ck12 teflon, but it has much higher quality sound than the rk12. Now I am thinking to swap it back to the original.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxqo8FXnxgaENkVIY0p6RVp5RU0&usp=sharing

What do you think guys?

Thanks for comparison.
I promised few years ago to make comparison of C414EB p48 with originl capsule vs. RK12, but unfortunately microphone and the capsule which had to be used for comparison was stolen during the shipping...
I always wondered why people don't like teflon CK12. Becuase it isn't brass and akg make it as a replacement?
Of course both sounds different (as also teflon CK12 revisions) but still teflon is really great capsule, and truly high qulity. In fact i didn't found any chinese capsule (or US made chinese capsule) which could be in the same league.
As with all capsules - all depends on the circuit and some conditions. In one topology same capsule can sound ugly and in the other like a charm.
Teflon CK12 can work with really high polarisation voltages!
It can sound really different.
For example after few capsules comparison i used it in my S16 tube microphone project and the microphone sounds incredible.
C414EB P48 is one of my favourite FET microphones.
Capsule need to be at least 2072 Z 0005 revision. Previous were much worse.
You can try to mod microphone circuit and use original capsule.
If you will need help with that, just start new topic ;)

I received my capsules this week. Thanks Bonzai! I was taking a look at them and I don't see any mounting holes on the ck12 capsules. Anyone have any idea on how I'm supposed to mount these?

Mike is Banzai not a tree :D

Look closer at the yellow tape.

If visible is not,  in few places press the tape and find it you will!
May the Force be with you!

And btw., for now, i removed that ugly tape from one capsule and probably i will make that with the rest.

Latest posts

Back