002R Pre vs Green Pre (Audio Clips)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys

As promised in another post, here is a quick comparison between the Digi 002R Pres and the Green.

Acoustic Guitar through the 002R Pre (1.5MB, 16 Bit, 44.1Khz, Mono)
Acoustic Guitar through the Green (1.5MB, 16 Bit, 44.1Khz, Mono)

A bit of background, the clips have the pres using no low cuts, there is no EQ nor compression, just the raw mic and pre combo. The Mic was an ADK-51 (stock, no mods) pointed at the 12th Fret of the guitar, about a foot away from the sound hole. I only had the one mic handy so it is 2 separate passes, but I tried my utmost to match the same position and rough levels inside of Pro Tools.

This is very rudimentary, but I think gives a basic pic of what is going on. I take back what I said in the previous post with the mids being cut on the 002R (what mids!). I normally use a low cut, but since the low cuts on both pres are different I left them both out, hence the slight boom.

I hope you enjoy, again this was very quick DIY recording. I'll be doing a 'professional' shoot out in August with Green and a few others with similar, and different topologies.

But it might help some Newbies and even oldies compare the 2.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, something funny happened: I listened to both of your files and thought to myself: geez, my ears are screwed, the difference is absolutely minimal, maybe the green pre sample sounds a little more exciting...then I thought: geez, matt is really, really good at repeating a phrase on the guitar, he even got the string slides exactly the same, and all the details were there in both recordings. Then I went into logic to analyse both files and just for kicks I hit phase invert on the 002 wav and guess what: no output :) :) :) give it to us straight: you did that on purpose, didn't you?

cheers, Marten

This is great. Thanks for posting it.

What are your / anybody elses opinions on the two recordings then?

I deliberately tried not to read any of the text in the post and just went straight to playing both the samples.

I thought that the second one (Green Pre) had a more rounded bottom end and a slightly smoother sound - not what I was expecting, though! I was expecting the Green Pre to be super-clinical.

It is still a bit hard to compare though. I am monitoring through a decent setup - but I am listening to an MP3 through a laptop!

Anyway, well done. I would look forward to anyone splitting a mic signal and doing a true a/b. That would be cool.

rodabod, maybe I was being a little unclear here, but when I downloaded the two wav files, they come out identical. different filename, same audio file! Is this only me or are you guys hearing two different files?

Yes!!!!

I screwed up! Those are both the 002R, sorry guys! I am trying to upload the correct file for the Green!!!! MY FTP is SO SLOW right now! Will post as soon as it is fixed.

Sorry :oops:

Matt

Hmmm.... Just listened to them again. Are they the same?

I see what you mean about the playing being the same.

I stood straight in front of my monitors this time rather than sitting in a chair drinking a cup of tea and had a good listen - now i'm not so sure.

I thought the bottom end might have been slightly different on the Green pre. but I now think I maybe was hearing more bass from the ports on the back of my JBLs because I sat down.

So, what is it then?

Fixed!

Sorry about the mishap. To anyone who downloaded he file called Green_AC_Guitar.wav, delete it, it is the same clip as the 002R! I made a mistake, the new version, which I double checked is called Green_AC_Guitar2.wav

Please post your comments, would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Matt

hahaha, ok, i feel much better now

When i listened to them I remember thinking "shit, do I really suck so much that I can't hear the difference"

Phew, good to know

Hahaha.

I must have listened to them both about 15 times now. You had me worried!!!

Looking forward to hearing new samples.

It would also be cool if we could hear a more "difficult" microphone being recorded too - like a ribbon mic.

Some of the demos of ribbon mics at www.thelisteningsessions.com are very different with different preamps.

Actually....

You might just get what you asked for. The AEA rep here in South Africa heard about my Greens and asked to try them on a session he is doing with an acoustic piano and their Ribbons..... interesting indeed.

I will be doing a proper A/B test with the Greens and a bunch of other pres at the end of August... will keep you posted.

Cheers

Matt

Ahhhhh....

Great, I can hear a big difference now. More harmonics, better definition, less mud. I've got them panned left and right.

I actually thought the 002R was good - but this Green Pre. sounds great and more accurate. I assume this is one task it is well suited for - acoustic guitar.

Would the SSL 9K compete well with this?

sounds sweet, the 002r sounds squashed squeezed as if its compressed with out compression. But the green pre wow!!! sounds less condenece and more true to life. I like.
Do you reckon there is much differance between pres when miking up guitar cabs?

Hey Guys,

My pleasure on the samples, they are just basic taste bits, since a lot of folks have wondered what they sound like and the 002R, or 002 are popular interfaces from PT users, so might be a good comparison.

I actually thought the 002R was good - but this Green Pre. sounds great and more accurate. I assume this is one task it is well suited for - acoustic guitar.

Would the SSL 9K compete well with this?

If you think the 002R is bad try it up against the 001 pres! I moved over from a 001 to a 002R and these pres are way better in my opinion, but then the A2D is better as well, so that might influence things. I think the Green is more than just suited for Ac Guitar, I used it on a trumpet and it sounded great as well, I've not had a chance to use it on drums yet, but I suspect it would be good in certain situations, esp. on overheads.

I think it does sound similar to the SSL9K, not the same, but similar.

Cheers

Matt

thats amazing!!

the green pre is very lively especially compared to the flat-dead-lifeless 002

very eye opening. I had used the 002 pres once at some session and thought they were a little lifeless but had no other pre to compare to.

did you go line in on the 002 after the Green, or did you use a different converter?

Hey Quad,

Unfortunately I don't have a separate A/D so I used the 002R.
I went in Balanced Line in on TRS at +4db (fixed operating level selectable on line ins 5-8)

Cheers

Matt

Impressive! those A-Ds are OK but not the best. and the Green still was shining through very brightly.
:thumb:

Thanks Guys,

Martthie, it a huge step up from the 002R pres :green: and they were an easy build for a new Diyer like myself. I it should be a great project for any newbie to get stuck into, I will always have room for it in my collection and I am very grateful to Peter for sharing the layout and boards.

Cheers

Matt

Back