002R Pre vs Green Pre (Audio Clips)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got home and listened to them - the GP is more "open" and dynamic. I'm looking forward to how it compares with other "boutique" pres.

Thanks again, Matt.

Hey Matt, I just had another listen to your green pre, as I really want to build a "clean" sounding pre for vocals and acoustic guitar and played around with your recording, maybe you'd like to have a listen, I put your clean wav through a siemens w295, added some highs and removed some lows, I think this is a great cheap EQ for guitars, but listen for yourself:

http://www.eisenaudio.com/thelab/Green_AC-Guitar2_W295b.wav

cheers, Marten

....think the 12k rolled-off effect is mainly caused by undetailed mids.

the 02r pre is real crap (i've listened to it just over my lap)! there's no mystic to imagine, how tracks like these sounds and fits later in the mix. they won't. especially if you like to work with a lot of compression, where it's normally, that the signal will lose a bit of hi and lo freq's and tends to push the significant mid formants of an instrument/voice.

my first project will be doin' some greens (seems to be a lot of sound for the bucks) and hope i don't need 2 years 'til i can compare them to my isa 110/130 rack. :wink:

so far....really nice quality matt! especially in case if not running with some 5k mic and a-d's! what's your impression after a few months under workin conditions with it?

cheers
urs

I havn't lestened to the files because I'm on a little laptop, but when I built my greens and compared them with my (old) 002, I was really blown away by the quality of the bass on the green-especially when I would hit an open e on the guitar.

Joel

Hey URS,

Well a few months in, I'm still very happy. I actually listened to the A/B yesterday with an engineer friend and he was blown away with the difference.

As you said I think accumulatively over a mix there is alot more space and depth with a bunch of Green tracks say compared to the 002R tracks.

I think you will find them quite different from the ISA, though I did test them against the old Focusrite Green series pres and in a blind shoot out of voice and trumpet 3 of the 4 engineers chose my Greens over the Focusrite.

You can't beat the Green Pre, it is something I think I will always have a use for. I'm actually racking up another 4 I recently built.

And those clips had no special A/D, just straight into the TRS inputs on the 002 interface.

Cheers

Matt

Back