1975 Allen & Heath MOD2 Rebuild Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
supafuzz99 said:
Hey did you get your mod 2 working??

Had one sitting in my mum's shed fifteen years, basically because the power supply was broken when I bought it (for £50). Can anyone recommend a repair shop in the North of the UK (preferably Sheffield way) that might be able to fix it, see if I can get the whole thing to power up? Any help will be much appreciated as I do the odd bit of soldering but this is way beyond my skill level.

Guy (S G Music) said:
I have a MOD 2 as well & have the User Guide WITH circit diagrammes if you want them send me your email address & I will scan & make an adobe acrobat file (PDF) & send it to you.

The MOD2 uses a +24v PSU you can build one quite easily I have replaced all the meter lights on my meter bridge with 12v lights out of a car!  2 12v light bulbs add up to 24v psu & they are quite good with thw meters!

sorry about the spelling Im Dyslecic & Autistic so I have dificalt with reading & writing!

Let me know if you need more help Im an electronic engineer & sound engineer, I will help if I can!

Guy Greenwood

Hi Guy

Is it possible you still have the docs in pdf format, and could you possibly put them on wetransfer/dropbox etc please?
Again, any help greatly appreciated... heard a couple of channels racked-up in a friend's studio and they sounded fab, so want to try and get this power supply working asap and attempt to fire it up (as the bloke I bought it off said that was the only thing wrong with it (yeah, yeah etc)!)

Cheers,
Tel.

Tel,

I recently replaced the 24 volt power supply in my Allen & Heath 16X8 Mod2.  It is a Power One HN24-3.6.A.  3.6 Amps.  I also have a .pdf file with schematics that I can send you if needed.  Just PM.

musika said:
Tel,

I recently replaced the 24 volt power supply in my Allen & Heath 16X8 Mod2.  It is a Power One HN24-3.6.A.  3.6 Amps.  I also have a .pdf file with schematics that I can send you if needed.  Just PM.

Cheers! Been having a look at some second hand ones on ebay. But before I take that step....

As I say, the power supply has never had a plug that goes into the power board since I acquired it. Is this possibly the one I need, so I can at least have a go at powering her up (after testing the output obviously)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulgin-3-Pin-Line-Socket-Power-Connector-Mains-Cable-Inlet-Plug-/112166065595?epid=1443532267&hash=item1a1d9e55bb:g:dvgAAOSwmLlX~54z

The sad part is it's looking like I've got to get rid as my mum (&, chiefly, her new boyfriend) are bulldozing the outhouse it's been kept in for the last 15 years (as well as my control room ffs).  ::)

Tel,

That Bulgin connector certainly looks like the power connector.  It is however possible to just hook up a temporary setup with clips to test... just make certain there are not any shorts.  Three pins are +24v for the mixer power, a phantom power for the mics which originally was +12v on my mixer (now +48v) and a ground which is the lower connector. I'll  see if I can find a drawing of the connector for you or maybe someone else here could explain the pins. 

Righty-o. I'll borrow my mate's multimeter and see what it's putting out (if anything) before buying the plug. Will keep you posted.

Fingers crossed.  ;)

musika said:
Tel,

That Bulgin connector certainly looks like the power connector.  It is however possible to just hook up a temporary setup with clips to test... just make certain there are not any shorts.  Three pins are +24v for the mixer power, a phantom power for the mics which originally was +12v on my mixer (now +48v) and a ground which is the lower connector. I'll  see if I can find a drawing of the connector for you or maybe someone else here could explain the pins.

Had a look inside and tested output with multimeter (nada)... it's obvious some components are fried (from the scorching) but it's definitely 'alive', buzzing. However, I've decided to call it quits and have stuck it on ebay. Cheers for your help, but this is way beyond my technical skills, and would make someone a great project.

Back