8 Channel, 3U NEVE 1073 completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. Attenuation (passive) only, between both gain stages and the driver stage. In practical use, it seems more fitted for getting the highest signal possible before hitting your A/D converters in a DAW, for example. Alternatively, could be used for overdrive effects (fattening up a bass or vox) while maintaining a certain output, similar to the way you would use a Master-Volume on a guitar amplifier.

Protecting your digital-converters from "overs"? Say you have a healthy snare (or any other transient instrument) signal going on with gain set to pos. 7, however, there are occasional peaks or "overs" happening at the converters input. Rather than knock the gain back to pos. 6, risking thinning the sound out a bit, you could alternatively, use the trim to bring the output back a bit just below the peaks. Something like that, anyways. :eek:

oh alright, i just wasn't sure if you were refering to the interstage trimmer or my idea of using a t-pad after the output tranny. still am not sure.

the t-pad behind the output tranny would allow for some more saturation of the driver stage and the output tranny. maybe an even phatter tone could be achieved this way?

Analogue Nubian said:
True Analogstud. I've decided to go the 10k route! Thanks useme for the link

After months of really scouting and getting the part I'm almost there.

:)
Ive built six of these units and put trimmers on two of them. To be honest, I never really need them. I would recommend just leaving them out to keep the signal path pristine.

Well, I'm excited because today is test day! Built the power supply last week and tested that successfully (first diy project, you're still getting butterflies when you feed the current though it for the first time)

So hiho silver! Wiring up power to the pcb's today and off we go lighting things up. :D

I'm leaving the trimmers off for now and see if there are now hiccups or problems. Wish me luck

FWIW, out of the dozen I've built now, I've used good quality conductive plastic pots on all channels.  They come in real handy when recording a stereo source.  Usually stays in the full "on" position, but does get use often.

Analogue Nubian said:
Well, I'm excited because today is test day! Built the power supply last week and tested that successfully (first diy project, you're still getting butterflies when you feed the current though it for the first time

Ha ha! I can still remember firing up my first DIY guitar amp (high voltage :eek:) for the first time! Pretty sure I put it on the other side of a wall, just to be sure!

Glad to hear it's almost done! Why don't you give us some pics, eh?

i'm planning a ten channel 3U version of this.

what do you guys think? is it possible?
my measurements so far do not point at any problems. but maybe i'm missing something?

Attachments

• 10ch1290.jpg
    10ch1290.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 50
I wouldnt.  I just finished my 8ch and barely fit the transformers in there.  It would depend on what you plan on adding as far as switches too..  The impedance switch i preferred to have the transformer close as to not have a long run of wire.  I guess if you used the thinner output transformers you might be able to get away with it if its a really deep case.  Might have an issue with the transformers talking to eachother in that close proximity.

THIS: https://i.imgur.com/s4AiKMN.jpg

Ha ha! I can still remember firing up my first DIY guitar amp (high voltage :eek:) for the first time! Pretty sure I put it on the other side of a wall, just to be sure!

I was hiding and had a flashlight on standby for sure hahaha.

Glad to hear it's almost done! Why don't you give us some pics, eh?

I'll post some pics ;)

Attachments

• 1073 web -1.jpg
    1073 web -1.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 75
Please note that I will rewire most cables. I'm soooo happy with the test today! It's quiet, it sounds rich and fat (tried it with am AKG C214 & a BLUE Mouse. Will still test it with a Brauner VM1 which needs a fresh tube)

part 2

Attachments

• 1073 web - 2.jpg
    1073 web - 2.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 53
Please excuse my poor photo skills. I'll up the ante next week when I finalize the project! I seriously froze when I heard the bottom end! What a wicked project and thanks again MAdriaanse for the clear build instructions.

Already contemplating what to build next

Attachments

• 1073 web - 4.jpg
    1073 web - 4.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 53
Looks great! Bout the only thing I could suggest is moving the input-trannies as close to the front plate as possible, giving them a little more distance from the output-transformers.

Back