All things LA2a related

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody

I have two old Vactrols at home, they are NOS VTL 1B5 "Vactec 8846". I have found a datasheet. I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to tube designs, can I use these in a LA2A sidechain? What are the required tweaks if any?

Here is the datasheet.

Any help is welcome, thanks a lot!

Attachments

• VTL1B5.jpg
    VTL1B5.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 33
thomasdf said:
Can someone give me the precises T4B specs so I can check if this is compatible with my vactrols?

Thanks,

Thomas

I doubt they'll be compatible without a lot of side chain modifications, check out the Manley OPTO comp. They use Vactrol's for gain control.

Mark

Hi
any of you have tried,  Carnhill VTB 2380 as an output ?
It's 15k:600
it should work?
Thanks!
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/CA-18-VTB2380_extended_info.html

I would like to add the power snubber to my diy la2a - has anyone done that?  Does it just go in-line on the main power switch to catch any MAINS spikes with you flip the switch?

Thanks for any tips!!

-Don

I got a Hammond 369JX for my point to point La-2a. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for it? I am using Cayocosta's layout.

Thanks in advance,

Bonsaimaster

Bonsaimaster said:
I got a Hammond 369JX for my point to point La-2a. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for it? I am using Cayocosta's layout.

Thanks in advance,

Bonsaimaster

it's exactly the same wiring as described in the DRIP opto4 or opto5 manual - I got mine wired up and voltages are looking good so far.

The hammond trafo also has the colors and voltages listed on the side of it.  Youre gonna wind up trimming back a bunch of the wires and tying them off.

Ok wired everything up. Powers on with all tube except the T4B. I am having two issues

Meter is not registering in GR mode -20
However in +4 I get full deflection
In +10 I get -1.5

I am having voltage issues with V4

Here are my voltages
After 1N4007 - 353V
After 4.7K2W 257V

V4
Pin 2 - 6.6V
Pin 5 - 215V
Pin 6 - 98V

V3