AMS Neve 1073 Sweeps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stuck the cheapest nastiest crap that I could find in my EZ and it loves me back every time I use it.  Smack it around a bit and make it call you daddy.  ChrisP
Disclaimer: No ebay components were harmed in the making of my EZ.

output xfmr peaks are well out of the audio range,

so probably not much difference in sound at the top end,

there is extra steel in the Sowter so the 20 hz neighborhood is richer,

Attachments

• Neve-Opt.jpg
    Neve-Opt.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 99
CJ said:
is that with the cap on the output?

see if you can zoom in on the ringing when you get synced up,

here is a Marinair T-1452 shot zoomed in on the ring>

Yea it's actually a 680pf on the it. That's the rediculous amount of capacitance it took to make the mic input flat. I'm not sure I can zoom in that much on mine though, I don't have a real scope

Aaron

Funny story about the 100Khz area...

I was watching Rupert give a college lecture about his time at Neve back in the 70's and he was saying he got a call from a studio regarding one of his consoles that was installed.

The engineer kept insisting something was wrong with a certain channel on the board. No one could hear exactly what or pick out what was wrong with it but Rupert said by the look on the mans face he could tell he genuinely did not like the sound of the console and was very unhappy with what he was hearing.

Rupert decided to run some test on the channel and found something ringing around the 100Khz area. He didn't say what the problem was but he said the engineer was happy with the sound again after he fixed it.

Rupert's always talking about frequencies way out of the human hearing range such as 100Khz affecting the harmonic relationships with frequencies that are in the human hearing range.

Weather there's any scientific proof or not, I think this is a valid point

So long story short. I think seeing whats going on in my units, up to 100Khz will be much more educational and informative.

Aaronrash said:
Funny story about the 100Khz area...

I was watching Rupert give a college lecture about his time at Neve back in the 70's and he was saying he got a call from a studio regarding one of his consoles that was installed.

The engineer kept insisting something was wrong with a certain channel on the board. No one could hear exactly what or pick out what was wrong with it but Rupert said by the look on the mans face he could tell he genuinely did not like the sound of the console and was very unhappy with what he was hearing.

Rupert decided to run some test on the channel and found something ringing around the 100Khz area. He didn't say what the problem was but he said the engineer was happy with the sound again after he fixed it.

Rupert's always talking about frequencies way out of the human hearing range such as 100Khz affecting the harmonic relationships with frequencies that are in the human hearing range.

Weather there's any scientific proof or not, I think this is a valid point

So long story short. I think seeing whats going on in my units, up to 100Khz will be much more educational and informative.

AFAIK the engineer is an untalented guy called Glyn Johns  :)

warpie said:
AFAIK the engineer is an untalented guy called Glyn Johns  :)

That's sort of irrelevant.

What does how talented you think an engineer is have to do with being able to perceive frequencies well out of the human hearing range?

Aaronrash said:
That's sort of irrelevant.

What does how talented you think an engineer is have to do with being able to perceive frequencies well out of the human hearing range?

How did you come to the conclusion that this was what I meant?
I simply mentioned that I think the engineer of that story is Glyn Johns .

Oh sorry... I just thought you were saying since the guy is untalented, his findings would be invalid.

Thanks for the info  8)

Aaronrash said:
Oh sorry... I just thought you were saying since the guy is untalented, his findings would be invalid.

Thanks for the info  8)
:)

Aaronrash said:

Thanks for the info  8)

Maybe you should Google Glyn Johns.
Just sayin'.........
Best,
Bruno2000

Here's the line input with the stock 2200PF and 2.2K resistor across the secondary

Attachments

• Line Input 100 HZ.jpg
    Line Input 100 HZ.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 46
Here's a 10K square through the line input. Looked like a square going out but not coming in

Attachments

• 10k square.jpg
    10k square.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 59
Aaronrash said:
Here's a 10K square through the line input. Looked like a square going out but not coming in

There looks to be something seriously wrong with this, unless it's an artifact of the "scope".
A 10k square wave through my Dual Mid 1084 (Carnhill in and out) still looks pretty much like a square wave, only with a "rounded" leading edge, and a bit of a bump.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
Aaronrash said:
There looks to be something seriously wrong with this, unless it's an artifact of the "scope".
A 10k square wave through my Dual Mid 1084 (Carnhill in and out) still looks pretty much like a square wave, only with a "rounded" leading edge, and a bit of a bump.
Best,
Bruno2000

nothing's wrong here  ;) . Aaron said he doesn't own a real scope so he probably used his AD/DA unit/soundcard+ a soft scope/square generator to measure. By doing so you can't properly measure high frequencies square waves.  Because there's a low pass filter set at the Nyquist frequency in the AN/NA unit. For example if the unit is set at 44.1 kHz, the filter has to pass signals below 22.05 kHz, and block all signals above 22.05 kHz. Meaning what you can measure is only a 10k sinewave and very few harmonics and not a square wave.

AErige said:
bruno2000 said:
Aaronrash said:
Best,
Bruno2000
Nothing's wrong here. Aaron said he doesn't own a real scope so he probably used his AD/DA unit/soundcard+ a soft scope/square generator to measure. By doing so you can't properly measure high frequencies square waves.  Because there's a low pass filter set at the Nyquist frequency in the AN/NA unit. For example if the unit is set at 44.1 kHz, the filter has to pass signals below 22.05 kHz, and block all signals above 22.05 kHz. Meaning what you can measure is only a 10k sinewave and very few harmonics and not a square wave.

Please re-read his post. 
He said "Here's a 10K square through the line input. Looked like a square going out but not coming in"
What did he look at it on that it "....Looked like a square wave...."?
Best,
Bruno2000

Back