Any currently available options for an m49 body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
micaddict said:
Darn! Can't get the samples working,  :(

Something not up to standard or up to date on my end probably.
Pm me an email address and I'll send them that way if you'd like

duantro said:
Ok, here's a link to a sample of some guys I had in. No eq, slight compression from ua6176's
Scratch guitars, rough mix etc...
Mics are 251/ac701k/ Beesneez k12,
M49 c/ ac701k/ Poctop d7.
Rough mixes have a little compression and reverb obviously.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw9gHZdtUpuPSW1xNi13TGxjdkE

Thanks for the sample of Dany's M7.  It's hard to find a first hand account (let alone with a recorded sample in a musical context) of this capsule right now. The midrange on your M49 is much clearer than your 251, which sounds distant and veiled by comparison.  What I find most interesting is the top end, which was much brighter than written accounts of the capsule would lead me to believe yet still wasn't sibilant in an obnoxious way. 

I'd be interested in hearing comparisons between the Neumann k49 and Dany's M7 in an M49.  Yes, it's apples and oranges- I know. But I'd love to determine which capsule would sound more useful to me on the most number of sources, not just vocals, because I value utility over any sort of historical accuracy.  Any chance you can report back if you use the mic on electric guitar or drum overhead duty?

Great job with the very nice mic you just built. Congrats!

Hey Mrerdat,
Thank you! I am very happy with the tonal balance with the d7. I have a Haufe output transformer and Tim Campbell ct12 that I plan on putting in the 251 to see what difference I can hear from that. The transformer that I have in it now I bought from diyer that is unbranded. It may be a cheapo!
I do have a sample of the m49 about 10' out in front of a drum kit, about 4' high. It is compressed some though. I didn't include it originally because it was processed and thought people wouldn't prefer that. I will put it in the same google drive folder for you.

I would try the transformer first. I have a Beesneez CK12 in my 251 (AMI T14) and it sounds great. There's something strange sounding in your 251 which I expect would be the transformer over the capsule.

Don't expect the Tim Campbell CT12 to sound better (or worse). It will have a different flavour. It sound like you need to build a second 251 or a C12!

I'm really impressed with Dany's M7.

duantro said:
Hey Mrerdat,
Thank you! I am very happy with the tonal balance with the d7. I have a Haufe output transformer and Tim Campbell ct12 that I plan on putting in the 251 to see what difference I can hear from that. The transformer that I have in it now I bought from diyer that is unbranded. It may be a cheapo!

You're welcome!

Something felt slightly off with the mid congestion in the 251 sample.  I have access to a Bock 251 and while a slightly scooped in midrange like 251s are in general, it was still clear sounding.  I think capsule and/or transformer swapping would be well worth your time.

duantro said:
I do have a sample of the m49 about 10' out in front of a drum kit, about 4' high. It is compressed some though. I didn't include it originally because it was processed and thought people wouldn't prefer that. I will put it in the same google drive folder for you.

Thanks for this.  It still has a present sounding kick attack even though the mic is at cymbal height.  With some other mics you'd have to get the mic a foot or two lower to match that kind of kick attack in the sample.  Very cool.  Any EQ on that sample or just compression?

No eq on the drum room, correct. Pre was capi vp312 ( with original ati 2520 and output transformer) and laz 525 comp. I'll swap out the 251 transformer asap

Even via e-mail the samples wouldn't play, but I logged into another computer and that did the trick.
Some work needed on mine, obviously.

Anyway, there's definitely something not quite right with the M251. Better midrange cut from the M49 is to be expected (center terminated capsule versus edge terminated), but the M251 shouldn't sound darker. Sooner the opposite.
The good news is that the M49 sounds great, as far as I can judge through cans on a laptop.

:)

Back