API 560 fader repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kags

GDIY Supporter
I have two vintage API 560 graphic EQs that have had a fader or two pulled off the board. The fader body is still on the PCB, but the lever(s) have been broken/pullled off. I have one lever, but two are missing. API doesn't have replacement sliders for that model anymore, so they offered to replace the whole fader assembly and the faceplate with the new version. In their words "It is not direct fit, and requires some creativity but my best guess is it will work good enough to justify investment..."

Does anybody have any insight on how to re-attach the slider for the one I still have the part for? I would try some kind of epoxy, but I thought I would seek opinions first. I can fabricate sliders for the other unit if the repair on the first one works.

thanks!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
Maybe you could get one of the complete faders out and check for brand and model.
API might not have that as a spare part anylonger, but maybe if tou can get the brand, model and value of the original faders you can still buy some NOS faders.

I’m sure there’s those parts sitting on a shelf in some wharehouse somewhere in the world

I once replaced the faders at my Ampeg SVT3. From the size they look pretty similar. Basically the fader is just held by the solder joints. And the replacement parts were reasonably priced.

I tried to reattach the slider with some super glue. But that did not work out for me - so I just went simply for replacing.

As far as I remember the Ampeg part was 10k fader with center detent. I can look for the link if you want?

BR Michael

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_134.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12d.jpg

If I understand the sitch, the metal levers have separated from the nylon slider assy inside some of the faders. They were positioned when the nylon was injected into a mold for the slider part. Solid enough for finger use, but not knee, chair, or combo bashing.
If API could give you some dimensional info etc. you may be able to compare and find a creative way to put new boards there, certainly a good fall-back option. It would be a new user interface for the good old guts, and you could sell the old to partially cover the cost.
My inner horologist would consider removing a fader, bending the cover tabs to look inside and somehow glue the levers back in place, but I cannot think of a good glue/epoxy for nylon. Very delicate brushes on those also!
A third option, since API is still making them, the mini faders should be available and the boards can be drilled to fit the new part.
Mike

Thanks for the support, everybody! I've tried superglue and also the epoxy that cures with UV light and neither held very well. My next option is to try to remove the fader PCB so that I can get to the faders to see if I can unsolder one of them. I have two units with broken faders, so I do have enough parts to make one whole. API implies that the new fader assembly requires a new faceplate, which may require some other modifications to fit this module properly. I'll see if I can borrow a new 560 to compare their assemblies.

These EQs don't get much use in our studio, but I hate to let them gather dust on the bench for eternity. Maybe I can convince the studio owner to start selling our analog gear that no longer gets used. We have some gems, from Fairchilds to Altec 436s to ME230 EQs, to loads of EQPs, MEQs, Publisons, AMS, ADRs, SpectraSonics, Helios, etc. It's like a museum of great gear but our clients use 2 channels of the board to monitor the DAW while they record a single vocal track. It's label clients, so nobody's complaining, but I feel disheartened to see all that gear languishing... I keep offering the studio to let me move some of the gear to my personal mix room to keep it fresh...

Sad state of affairs. Great gear should be used everyday. It’s like spices when cooking
I agree, but most artists today love what they can create in their bedroom and just hearing their music on our studio monitors is enough of a "boost" that they don't feel the need to look for any other "sonic spice."

*/ (old man rant on) - These "top" producers (at least by the measure of income) think that building a track from Splice samples with the saturator plugin-of-the-month and then cutting a vocal, hitting it with Auto-tune, Melodyne, and the latest vocal synth plugin makes a great record. The sonic art (and lyrics for the most part) is cut-and-paste, not creating unique sounds. (rant off) */

There is nothing wrong with that way of producing - it's one way to make popular songs, and I love a good pop song as much as any 14-year-old. For the music that I make as art, I like to craft unique and creative signal paths that suit the records I'm making. Fortunately, my main clientele has shifted from the daily hip hop track to more musical records and some of those actually get some recognition.

I just wish that more clients could see (meaning: willing to pay for) the benefits of spending time crafting sounds with great gear in a well-tuned room. Instead, most clients want the lowest price for something really loud.

95% of our clients want a C800-G into a 1073 into a CL1B into their Apollo with some kind of emulation running. We have dozens of legitimately better mics and other flavors of preamps/compressors, but they listen with their eyes...

I spent one day showing some assistants what the SpectraSonics 610 sounded like on vocals and guitar and how to parallel process drums on our console with an 1178. Minds blown. "How do we do that in Logic???"
😔

I know it’s about sales and whatever sells sells. And it’s all great art for somebody.
SpectraSonics 610 sounded like on vocals
I have a pair of 610s. I remember recording a few albums for a classic guitar with flamboyant violin. They were great but the violin peaks were off the chart. I used every limiter/comp in the studio and he always hated the compression. I used a 610 as a last ditch effort and we’re all pleased as punch.

I hope you get more combos and ensembles to record.

Any luck with this? I was assuming this slider would be a fairly standard part to find but there are not much results on the forums and I dont have the unit in front of me for measurements.

I have two vintage API 560 graphic EQs that have had a fader or two pulled off the board. The fader body is still on the PCB, but the lever(s) have been broken/pullled off. I have one lever, but two are missing. API doesn't have replacement sliders for that model anymore, so they offered to replace the whole fader assembly and the faceplate with the new version. In their words "It is not direct fit, and requires some creativity but my best guess is it will work good enough to justify investment..."

Does anybody have any insight on how to re-attach the slider for the one I still have the part for? I would try some kind of epoxy, but I thought I would seek opinions first. I can fabricate sliders for the other unit if the repair on the first one works.

thanks!
Have you talked to Paul Wolff. He knows everything API. I’m not sure if he designed the 560 but he knows them frontwords and backwards. You can reach him through his company Fix Audio.

[email protected]

Any luck with this? I was assuming this slider would be a fairly standard part to find but there are not much results on the forums and I dont have the unit in front of me for measurements.
Hey Fredo - We haven't done anything with these yet because it's low priority, but my plan is to see if I can Frankenstein two units into one good one and then get the new fader assembly from API to see if I can fix the second unit. BTW, hello from Chalice!

Back