Bass traps and diffusers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good to me! Well done!

Although, you're cloud might benefit to be a bit wider. It's hard to tell from a photo but some of the early reflections from the speakers, might bounce of the sides of your cloud and although diffuse, could still reach the listening position with a bit too much energy.

But anyway, you'll certainly hear a big improvement.

Thomas

View attachment 119663

New setup will test over the next few days and see what’s going on
Looks like it will be effective! I would start there and listen a measure. Decay time plots will tell you if you have ringing modes, ETC will show detrimental early reflections, and freq response plot will help fine- tune your listening position.

As for the video monitor, listen mainly for stereo imaging issues and unevenness in the 1 to 3 kHz range. You could maybe move the screen more towards the wall if necessary.

Ah ok so two more panels in the top corners between the side walls and cloud.
I’ll move the two behind the desk which are just holding up the front wall centre one
If you add these, maybe have them straddle the wall- ceiling corners and you’ll help with the axial L-R mode, the Axial height mode and tame more reflections. A triple-play!

Look also for any problem frequencies related to oblique modes - corner to corner diagonals along the walls/ceilings and also diagonally opposite corners through the room centre - one top corner fixed can solve 7 problem planes - vertical, wall 1 diagonal, adjacent wall 2 diagonal, room top corner to bottom opposite corner diagonal, ceiling longitudinal, ceiling lateral, ceiling diagonal.

The middle vertical panel could go horizontal and as I said the two that are underneath could do the sidewall ceiling positions.
Behind the mix position I have two panels vertical but also could have these next to each other rather than stacked

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 08.16.20.png
here is the drum room sim without absortion
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 08.16.28.png
adding in the ceiling absorbtion seems to make a huge difference
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 08.16.41.png
then adding in the other walls definetly looks like the room will be a bit more controlled.

The middle vertical panel could go horizontal and as I said the two that are underneath could do the sidewall ceiling positions.
Behind the mix position I have two panels vertical but also could have these next to each other rather than stacked
Also for the monitor listening position you need to make sure that on walls either side between your ear position (projected laterally to the walls) and the monitor faces and travelling to well behind the ears, plus above and below ear height is covered to avoid standing waves and comb filtering between the opposing side walls.

If using a sub the position of that should be set prior to final analysis - a simple way is to put the sub anywhere roughly near where you think it will be finally placed - this is not critical, put on some music you are familiar with and crawl around the floor to find the ear position that sounds best for bottom end clarity - that’s where to place the sub. We set up a Trinnov monitor correction system in a recently commissioned studio and did optimisation settings for both with and without a sub - played around with various sub positions and found the best possible position for linear LF matched the original best ear test position that we started with.

You don’t need any absorption below about 3’ above the floor. You won’t hear any reflections from down there, so the panels should cover arrears around your head height when sitting and standing.

Properly dimensioned tube traps in the rear corners can solve any issues you may have based on whether you have any standing waves relative to the floor to ceiling height or corner diagonals. You could have a look at what’s coming back to a mic from white noise generated from the monitors to see if there are any large peaks or troughs.

Properly dimensioned tube traps in the rear corners can solve any issues you may have based on whether you have any standing waves relative to the floor to ceiling height or corner diagonals. You could have a look at what’s coming back to a mic from white noise generated from the monitors to see if there are any large peaks or troughs.
Do you find tube traps have real-world advantages over non-round velocity absorbers? Particularly for LF issues?

Back