Best and smallest 10K log stereo pot?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about we fish for quote of 100 ,
see if they bite ,
they know they can re-market a good idea 1000:1 without us which they will do anyway ,

Edited with humble apologies if any offence was caused .

Last edited:
never mind the major players Sahib ,
what i was suggesting was instead of a log-ish volume pot made with discrete resistors one with a precise db per step into a specified load ,same constructional method as the China mini Dact .

Understood.

Ian (Ruffrecords) might chime in here about what Neve used back in the day. They used a linear pot with a "slug" resistor from wiper to the low end of the pot to approximate an "audio" taper.

Advantage is that a linear pot has tighter tolerance specs.

Bri
Hi Brian, this is exactly what is pictured in my first post. Did Neve used stereo pots too?

Not sure they can be beat for stereo tracking if that's what you mean. Guessing they use 1%resistors....some like this
But maybe the steps may not be what you want ?....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203279601797?hash=item2f54689085:g:ylYAAOSwawpXwVD~
I had not understood they were using 1% resistors, that seems absolutely perfect then! I will order one and try it out! They even sell them with the connectors trimmed to fit in a narrower space which is exactly what I need. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I need to fit a stereo potentiometer in a narrow space (25mm height, length and width are not a problem tho). I am looking for the best 10K log stereo possible.
Attached is the current single pot I want to replace and the actual location in the chassis.

Thanks a lot for your help!
That is an RV6 size pot. There are tons out there in that size range. The Harrison channels I am gutting are loaded with 10k ganged pots in that size range if I remember right (it was a late night last night and I have not sorted them yet). Let me see if I can grab some part numbers or specs.
This Harrison unit is full of the square state electronics (Honeywell) stacked 10k pots.

I had not understood they were using 1% resistors, that seems absolutely perfect then! I will order one and try it out! They even sell them with the connectors trimmed to fit in a narrower space which is exactly what I need. Thanks a lot!
I've used these in a few things, and the ones I've received have been tightly matched between sides. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm using one as the main attenuator in my passive monitor controller and the stereo imaging is rock solid all the way down.

how about we fish out a quote for 100 ,
see if the Chincs will bite ,
they know they can re-market a good idea 1000:1 without us which they will do anyway ,
This post was reported to us moderators as "Racist".

I will not post what I think... read my mind.

Please inform yourselves about the actual rules. Ethan's actual rules

JR

Pardon me , shall I amend it ?
If someone refered to the Americans as the Yanks or the Irish as the Micks or Paddies or the Scots as the Kilts or the Liverpudlians as the Scousers would anyone give a flying squirt of piss ?
I'll modify the original post , no offence intended.
http://rsdb.org/race/chinese
I can only assume that Im not guilty of any infractions in relation to the 'Free Trade' post or I would have heard by now .
I wouldnt be at all surprised if it was the Borg/bot launched the objection on this post ,

Last edited:
I've used these in a few things, and the ones I've received have been tightly matched between sides. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm using one as the main attenuator in my passive monitor controller and the stereo imaging is rock solid all the way down.
Great! Ordered a couple on eBay and will try them out soon!

I just made an enquirey now with an online seller of the mini Dacts ,
I asked for quote on a sample run of 100 pieces ,
custom taper ,
we supply the BOM and the schematic ,
The cheapest price I found for the DACTS was around 9 euros per piece , what kind of price reduction could you expect per 100 units ?

Of course there would be a bit of work in hammering out the small details , attenuation ,impedences, input ,matching ,output , slugging resistors etc .

Assuming the people who want a volume control with good channel balance already have lots of values to choose from off the shelf , I think an attenuator with a set db per step would be great , both for EQ's and gain controls on preamps .
Would you be willing to help us cook up something in the simulator Abbey ?
A dual gang DACT might also be set up in twin-T configuration , maybe a three gang attenuator is possible by adding more wafers ,

Last edited:
it has "a greatly improved sound over the Alps blue."
hey abbey
totally agree with this bull...
Still TKD offer great product !

Devil advocate...now I wondering how perceptible is crosstalk figure in stereo/dual pot depending of manufacturing quality ?
Also some highend pot using CP track and ladder type (TKD have some) have a very different load/travel figure than standard simple track carbon print. Frequency response may be affected in some amp ?

Cheers
Zam

It's interesting to note that, according to the hificollective site, it has "a greatly improved sound over the Alps blue."
There are even reviews of potentiometers that conclude that some pots result in "far more detailed, lucid, a fantastic sound stage, added depth and most importantly produced a great almost 3D musical performance." :mad:
Yep. I got some Osmium-free wire with Unobtainium plating on each tiny strand. Makes anything sound better, more detailed and vivid, as well as vastly improving the stereo imaging. Now entertaining bids...lol

Latest posts

Back