[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
::) The latest in a long line of cretinous updates from the biggest numpty on the forum is that I have decided to start a new board & so ordered parts from Mouser & Mnats ??? ???

Just as I was contemplating taking a hammer to the existing board I decided to have one last go at getting it working properly. :mad: I then ripped a trimmer out, R44 which didn't click at either end of it's turning cycle, replaced a dodgy alpha attack pot & bingo I seem to have a almost working build :eek:

Done the first 2 calibration steps without problems, all the meter function settings work, compression sounds fine, no distortion or noise. I'll do the 3rd calibration when I get some new output & attack / spdt pots ;D

One last slight problem is that using my 20:1 ratio push button setting just makes a bubbling noise without much audio getting through (sounds like a tremelo guitar pedal!!!!!!) The 12:1, 8:1, 4:1 push button settings all work & sound fine

So I'm, perhaps / probably assuming that one of the four FET's Q7-Q10, in the Gain Reduction section is faulty or / & some nearby parts, I don't think it is the Ratio PCB as I have a spare to swap over that results in the same issues!!!

Anyone know the part of the circuit that the 20:1 setting uses? Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks & Cheers JK ;D ;D

I'd triple check the wiring and resistor values on the ratio pcbs. If the other ratios are working it seems like it must be at the buttons.

I used the stereo link kit from Hairball. It buffers the connection with opamps the same way the Purple Audio version did a stereo link. I think if your FETs are perfectly matched though, point 7 can just be connected.

Thumbs-up-icon.png

Hello everyone,

I have just finished my Rev D using Mike's amazing kit and everything seems to be working correctly except my ratios are too high.

4:1 is 5.5:1, 8:1 is 9:1, 12:1 is 14:1 and 20:1 is 24:1. The other thing I have noticed is that the release knob effects the level of the signal when I pass a continuous test tone through the unit and GR is enabled. I have checked my wiring against Skylar's diagram and have also triple checked the resistors on the ratio board as well as going back over the calibration procedure 5 or 6 times.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Simon

simonlef said:
4:1 is 5.5:1, 8:1 is 9:1, 12:1 is 14:1 and 20:1 is 24:1.

This is normal.  It's a discrete circuit so nothing will be spot on.  These ratio's looks good to me.

I've never been able to get them much closer.

Mike

measured ratio depends on the measurement method.  I don't know if there's an official method described by UREI; anyone? 

Either describing or posting a graph of how you measured the ratio would be interesting.
I recall in the UA manual there is a graph of the compression curves. The compression ratio is the slope of the output signal vs the input signal. I took data to make this type of graph to look at the ratios. The dotted lines are the exact ratios. Notice there is a soft knee at the threshold point and that the lines waver a bit. If you are calculating a ratio from just two points, the points must be after the threshold is into the full compression region.

Attachments

• 1176GR.jpg
    1176GR.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 26
Another one is born:
1176RevD_FrontSmall.jpg

1176RevD_TopSmall.jpg

UTC P12 input (octal o12) / ed anderson output. 20dB (1dB Steps) switched Elma T-Pad, switched Elma output, attack/release are pots, but will be replaced by switches once I find a cheaper alternative to the elmas :)

Many thanks to Jakob, Mnats, Mike & Ed for this wonderful build. Haven't compared it to my stereo Rev J yet, but wiring is the same pita :D
Christoph

Echo North said:
simonlef said:
4:1 is 5.5:1, 8:1 is 9:1, 12:1 is 14:1 and 20:1 is 24:1.

This is normal.  It's a discrete circuit so nothing will be spot on.  These ratio's looks good to me.

Thanks Mike,

I just wasn't sure whether I had made an error or if this was normal for the circuit.

dmp said:
Either describing or posting a graph of how you measured the ratio would be interesting.

There is a method described in the 1176LN manual on the JBL website for testing ratios (as well as testing attack and release times) but the method I used to check my ratios was roughly the one outlined here http://www.axtsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54:1176lnratios&catid=34:1176ln&Itemid=62. I did a number of different varations on this test to ensure that I wasn't getting confused by the 'knee'. The first test I did was to input a 0db tone at 1k and then set the input so that I had 10db of compression on 20:1. I then left all the controls as they were and moved through the ratios measuring the level at 0db, -3db, -6db, -9db, -12db and -15db. I then plotted the information on the spreadsheet. I also repeated the test but adjusting the input for each ratio so that I started with 15db of compression and then repeating the measurments. The results for each test showed that the ratios were a little higher than I expected.

Today I successfully got my mnats (with hairball kit) 1176 rev d to pass audio...hooray!  ....unfortunately I am having a few issues:

When I shorted r44 with my shorting block my fuse blew.  I do have this right, correct?  Not shorted are the two pins closest to the rear panel, and shorting r44 are the 2 pins toward the front panel? (this is how it appears in the mnats video).  Any idea what would cause the fuse to pop?

I'm building a Rev D using the Hairball kit, with the GR switch on the attack pot.

I've looked through the forum, and puzzled over the schematic a little, and still have questions about the wiring of the switch.

I looked at Skylar's wiring diagram and CanIdoit's photo clipped below.

As I understand it, if using the pot switch, nothing from main board 22 and G or Ratio board BLK and GRN goes to the meter board at all.  These connections all go to the switch on the pot.

I have wired this using two single connector (plus shield wires). 

One wire goes from the ratio board GRN (shield connected to ratio board BLK) and then connects to the pot switch with the shield on the upper connector and the main wire (GRN) on the lower connector.  The shield on this wire is carrying the signal from BLK on the ratio board to the switch.

The second wire goes from main board 22 and the G pad beside it.  The shield connects to the G pad.  At the switch, the main wire connects to the common terminal on the switch; the shield connects to the upper terminal of the switch (which also connects to the shield of the other wire, which is connected to BLK on the ration board).

Is this correct?  Should I be using a two conductor wire to connect from the switch to the ratio board GRN and BLK? 

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Philo

canidoit said:
bdubya said:
The wires labelled "N.C." are not connected at one end, but tied to ground at the other end, or to another wire that itself travels to ground, and should be the shield of another wire.  For instance, the wire travelling between pad 22 on the main board and pad 22 on the meter board should be a shielded one, with its shield attached at the main pcb to the adjacent ground pad, but cut short as close to the meter pcb as possible, with shrink wrap or some other precaution in place to avoid shorting things.  Looks like his shields are all grey in his diagram.  Hope that helps. 
I wired that section like this, which is correct from what I recall.

wireCheck3.jpg

Philo, that is how I wired mine....but...I have 2 non working units.

I figured out my fuse issue (fast acting instead of slow blow)

On one of my units, I only get the GR meter (...and I think GR in general) to work when in SLAM mode.  On the other unit I get no GR meter on any ratio.  +4 and +8 seem to work fine on both.  Any ideas?

EDIT: by GR meter won't work I mean that it won't even go to 0, just sits on the left.

As I understand it, if using the pot switch, nothing from main board 22 and G or Ratio board BLK and GRN goes to the meter board at all.  These connections all go to the switch on the pot.

I have wired this using two single connector (plus shield wires).
Do you mean two core cable with shield?

One wire goes from the ratio board GRN (shield connected to ratio board BLK) and then connects to the pot switch with the shield on the upper connector and the main wire (GRN) on the lower connector.
From my pic, the pot solder tabs looks like this.
A B
C
See how A and B have red wires in the pic. Green writing is for the green arrow lines.
Meter GRN -> A (red wire)
Meter BLK -> C (shield)

The shield on this wire is carrying the signal from BLK on the ratio board to the switch.
The shield runs from Ratio BLK -> Meter BLK -> Pot C

The second wire (single core cable with shield) goes from main board 22 and the G pad beside it.  
Yes

The shield connects to the G pad.  

At the switch, the main wire connects to the common terminal on the switch; the shield connects to the upper terminal of the switch (which also connects to the shield of the other wire, which is connected to BLK on the ration board).

Is this correct?  Should I be using a two conductor wire to connect from the switch to the ratio board GRN and BLK?  
Explain this bit a little further please, what do you mean by switch? Are you talking about the solder tabs at the back of the pot - A B C as I mentioned above?

Latest posts

Back