[BUILD] DBX 160VU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OKay is the other thread in the drawing room I've posted clips of unit with no compression, compression, and more compression.

2nd REV Pcbs are very close! Figure a couple weeks to order and a couple weeks making them and return shiipping. Then I'll send them out!

If you decided to start ordering. Send 30$ per PCB plus 5$ shipping (5$ covers shipping on as many PCBs and you would like)

payment(at)acsoundstudio.com is my paypal

Ordering now guarantees you will get some PCBS before I run out, plus it saves you 5$ as I'm planning on selling the rest at 35$ a piece.

Cheers! I'm exited to get these projects rolling!

Abe

Interested, a few questions:
Is the part # scheme the same as the original (I can't read the schematic in your 1st post, it comes up black)
Is this using a chip balanced input and a transformer out as in the original?
What kind of build docs are there?
Is it possible to make the RMS detector & VCA as sub boards? There would be a few advantages to this.
Are all aspects tested and confirmed working correctly?

looks good, thanks!

Hi all. Grantlack Confirmed payment.  :)

And
nielsk said:
Interested, a few questions:
Is the part # scheme the same as the original (I can't read the schematic in your 1st post, it comes up black)
Is this using a chip balanced input and a transformer out as in the original?
What kind of build docs are there?
Is it possible to make the RMS detector & VCA as sub boards? There would be a few advantages to this.
Are all aspects tested and confirmed working correctly?

For this version all the parts are named the same as the original schematics. That will make it much much easier when tracing the circuit and people are asking questions about different parts.

The original 160VU had no transformers input or output. Many people confused the VCA and RMS potted modules as transformers.

And it its totally possible to build an RMS and VCA right on the boards
or you can slip in the DBX original RMS or VCA units
Also you can use a THAT VCA if you don't have a discrete VCA and don't feel like matching a bunch of transistors....
options options options!!  :)

I built my unit with a discrete built on RMS and THAT chip and I can confirm its working as it should. I don't have a original handy to do side by side comparison but sounds very close to my ears. There are sound files posted on the drawing board thread. So you can judge for yourself...

Also been fiddling with the meter circuit its working almost 90% there, working as it should, you don't need to spend 150$ +++ on a actual mechanical zeroed meter. but its not 100% accurate yet. I still think its just needs to be calibrated more precisely but the circuit is there.

I am in process of making a concise PDF build file with lots of pictures (yay) and easy to read calibration procedures.

Also Dunderloo is making cases available so the metal work is done! haha (yay again!)

Also alll parts are available at mouser !

Cheers,
AC

I have a pair of original DBX 160 and they have output transformers. No confusing them with the power transformers. Maybe it was an option? Or maybe that's why mine sound so good ;)

AC - are you planning on holding off on the new PCBs until the meter is sorted out?

Unfortunately I've been too flat out to look into this, but I guess we'll need trim pots for both a "scale" and a "zero" - similar to a 1176. Perhaps that's already in place? Sorry, I should take a look at it before I post I guess!

lol! well that is interesting to know. The output section could easily drive any transformer of your choice. They have some beefy output transistors!

And I'm going to dig deeper into the meter section this weekend. I have to wait till the start of February to place the order anyway. But I have no intention of holding off. The original meter circuit is in place incase anyone wants to use the original meters ;D

And for people that want to use new cheaper meters - the new meter section will be working 100% It responds correctly and acts as it should it just needs to be scaled up a bit . Shouldn't be a hard fix. Just need a good couple hours alone with it this weekend. Probably no circuit change just need to experiment with some resistors. considering there are 5 trim pots for the meter section that alll interact with each other

I'll post another you-toob this weekend to show how its working.
So don't worry! Just got back from a session and used it on a fender Rhodes. sounds very nice indeed.

EDIT EDIT: DUH! I AM AMAZED ON HOW EASY IT IS TO OVER LOOK THE SIMPLEST DETAILS! THE SCALE IS DIFFERENT FOR THE DBX METER!! CHECK THIS OUT http://www.cmaudio.de/forum/160scale.jpg

SO THE METER CIRCUIT IS WORKING FINE! WEW THAT IS A LOAD OFF. I'll look into getting some meters made up with the correct scale.

Thanks for Bearing with me, I'm still learning  ;D

Short of making the RMS and VCA as separate sub boards, maybe you could cut & paste those sections and make some with the main board batch. It would be very nice to have for making repair spares...

confirm receipt for thebigskinny and yes, its 5$ shipping round the world!
Thanks!
Abe

Ps Got the meter circuit working 100% by switching out the scale in my hairball meter. Surprisingly easy to do
...print this picture out www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/160scale2.jpg
and trace the other insert on it and walla instant DIY meter!

Back