[BUILD] TBDD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rob_gould said:
How are things coming along? Were you able to iron out the LFO issue?

Rob, everything is essentially done here and we're just waiting for metal work and PCBs.  I really hope to be shipping by next week.  I know that the brackets are actually getting finished today.

As for the LFO issue, that is in the vintage Dim-D that I own, not my TBDD.  I can see where my wording might have been a little unclear on that.  It's been good enough to test against over the course of the project.

Brian

Only one space left in your rack ?  No problem buy Two !
and mount em in a 2RU  , which I would do if I totally had my shit together
Nice Work !

Oh my! I think this is a very cool project. I love the DimensionD, and wouldn't mind two or so in a rack.
Sooooo... more rack first.
Really happy with your eq's by the way, had them on guitar during the last session,awesome big and fast! Thanx Brian.

Cheers,
Pieter

Great to hear!!  Really glad you like the EQs.  We're getting very close to shipping here (next week??) so better get some more rack space soon  ;D

Unfortunately, some bad news.  PCBs came in and they are all wrong.  Probably looking at a month delay.  Bummer  :mad:

Hi Brian,

Looks great!

Now I know some people are going to scratch their heads upon reading my next question and I don't want to be an ingrate but...

I know I could take the kit and "hack a rack" version, but is there any chance of a non-500 series rack version of this happening? Maybe 1U with the meters going horizontally? Or 2U like the original? Whatever's easier?

Chris

fazeka said:
I know I could take the kit and "hack a rack" version, but is there any chance of a non-500 series rack version of this happening? Maybe 1U with the meters going horizontally? Or 2U like the original? Whatever's easier?

Interesting thought.. I really hadn't considered it, but why not?  Basically the same thing but needs a PSU, controls, and I/O off-board.  There could even be room for the unbal in/out like the original if that's desired or even the foot switch.  I think to get serious about it, I'd need to hear some more interest but sure, it's certainly a decent possibility.

I could see myself wanting to free up 500 rack space or have the tbdd with the fx ,
also 1/4 jacks would allow mono in switching abilities , and
in that format IT would be tempting to run two units in one rack

I'd be interested in a racked version.

I was contemplating racking your 500 version, but it would be nice to just get the boards and add whatever's needed.

Regards,
Mark

okgb said:
also 1/4 jacks would allow mono in switching abilities , and
in that format IT would be tempting to run two units in one rack

OK, let's not confuse ourselves with mono/unbal.  The 1/4" allow for unbal in/out (stick it in your guitar rig) but it still follows the mono/stereo path just like the balanced in/out.

There is a selector for mono/stereo input modes where in mono the right input goes to both left and right channels.  In stereo mode both inputs are used.  The output is always stereo no matter what.

That might have been precisely what you were talking about but I just wanted to say it to be clear.

Biasrocks said:
I'd be interested in a racked version.

I was contemplating racking your 500 version, but it would be nice to just get the boards and add whatever's needed.

So, seems like this could maybe get some traction.. I've been thinking about it all morning actually.  It would be nice to make this much more of a real DIY option.  The 500 would be a complete kit, you bring the solder.  This could be sold as just boards and you get all the parts and set it up however you like.  Or maybe an optional parts kit..  Not needing to worry about metalwork or any precise mechanical details sure makes things easier.

I occasionally use 500 series stuff for normal racks just use a multi pin connector , and a separate
psu , a little more off board wiring , biggest problem is the graphics & panel . which if thin enough
could be mounted on a regular 2ru anyway without doing anything to your package if necessary

There are a few ways that you could jam the thing into a case for sure.  If you wanted to make a new front panel so that the lettering isn't sideways, it wouldn't be a terrible challenge.  If you don't mind a horizontal meter and wiring about 20 connections from board to board, it would probably fit into 1RU.

Since you brought it up though, I should note that there is a small bit of additional circuitry which supports the unbalanced in/out which I left off.  It would have to be permanently modified to be one or the other, which is really just swapping one R val.  If I do new PCBs for this, it would be built in.

Latest posts

Back