[BUILD] TBDD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that you've looped it back on itself, imagine the cool options with two or three of them!  I haven't tried that myself yet.

Here's a little look at the assembled boards for the rack version.  Will be testing it tomorrow.

TBDD-rack_sm.jpg

Yeah! Boards look great!

Although I have two J.H. DimD, those boards bring on the urge to build another one.... Have the BBD chips ready :)

Going well!  I've got the thing all up and running and I think all my dummy mistakes identified.  Going to do some test fitting in a rack this week so I can be sure all the front panel stuff works out.  I'll have to do one more prototype after, but I think we're really getting there.

Brian

Hello Brian,

have finished my build.Took it easy yesterday and finished and tested it today.
Now what can I say exept of THANK YOU!!! ;D ;D ;D
This time christmas is perfect!
The kit is so unbelievable good prepared and all is so well documented,I really had no issues at all,great!
It makes me very happy to have my own "Dimension-D" in my racks.I was used to this sound back in the 80´s from a bunch of keyboards I owned from Roland,but the studio version always seemed unreachable those days (I played a lot with it......but never had the money to buy one......).Have run some electric pianos and pads through it an hour ago and it sounded fantastic,really like in the good old times!
Thank you so much for making this possible for us Brian,you´re my hero (for today ;D).
What´s coming up next-the SVC350? ;D ;D ;D
P.S.:There´s a small error in the bom concerning the led-driver,it should be 3915,not 3914 (which is a linear driver). ;)

Here´s a pic of my newly built 51x racks:

Attachments

• 51x Racks:Christmas 2012.jpg
    51x Racks:Christmas 2012.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 115
Great news, Udo!  Really glad that it all went together well and that you're enjoying it.  I love seeing these finally getting finished!

Thanks for pointing out that error in the BOM.  Someone else noticed it too, but it didn't seem worth bothering everyone with a whole new BOM.  3915 is indeed the correct part.

I never thought about it, but a vocoder WOULD be pretty cool to put together :)  Of course, good luck buying MN3010 or MN3004 in any quantity.  Very expensive!  Well, after my 18 other things that I have it mind maybe it could happen  ::)

I'm not sure if it's significant but when I calibrated the L clock, I couldn't get a nice crisp line on my scope. It flattened out though so I went with it and sounds pretty good.

That's totally fine.  It's never going to go away.  You just want to make it as small as possible.  It's really pretty trivial in terms of noise anyway even if it's way out.  But you know, better is always better.

Noob here... I got stuck on the labeling on the film caps (never saw this before...) but by sorting them by label and comparing with the amount of each in the BOM I believe I got it:
0.001 uF - 1n - this is actually the only value I feel unsure about: If 15n=0.015uF and 47n=0.047uF, why isn't 1n= 0.01uF?, Hmm well, if it's correct perhaps it's unnecessary/too hard to explain to a noob like me!  :D
0.0012uF - 1n2
0.0018uF - 1n8
0.0022uF - 2n2
0.0027uF - 2n7
0.0033uF - 3n3
0.0047uF - 4n7
0.0056uF - 5n6
0.015uF - 15n
0.027uF - 27n
0.047uF - 47n
0.1uF - u1
0.22uF - u22

Correct?

Unit7 said:
this is actually the only value I feel unsure about: If 15n=0.015uF and 47n=0.047uF, why isn't 1n= 0.01uF?,

nF to uF or vice versa is a multiplier or divider of 1000 so you just need to move the decimal place along three in one direction or the other. 

If 15n = 0.015uF, then 10n = 0.010uF (actually written 0.01uF of course).  Therefore 1n = 0.001uF - see the extra '0' after the decimal point?

Thanks Rob, I get it!
First DIY project ever though quite ok with a soldering iron. Except for my lack of theoretical knowledge, forcing me to stop and ask stuff, this project has been smooth so far. Quite hooked actually! All components soldered and interlocking switch assembled, so I'm getting close to the final stage. Ordered a 500 rack in December and I have always sought after a Dimension D, and then this showed up. Just perfect!..If I'll get everything together properly...

Coming along!  Got it working 100% and I've ordered the second proto PCB, so I'm just waiting for that right now.

To keep you interested, metalwork is going to be available for those who want it.  Here's a mock-up of how the front panel will look:

TBDD-r-1U---knobs.jpg

You'll be able to buy PCBs and parts kits independently if you want to roll your own version, too.

Brian

Looks good Brian. I just "liked" your post with the front panel pic thanks to the new feature Ethan just added!  8)

Since it isn't the build thread I 'm going to defeat the like feature by posting anyway [ I liked it as well though ]

Red on black , 1RU , very sexy , I don't see how I can resist

Back