Building capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burdij,
Don't consider baking your diaphram. The tension will relax under the conditions you describe. You'd need to do a lot of over-tensioning and timing of the heating in order to arrive at the proper freq. B&K does this with their stainless diaphrams in order to stabilize them but plastic is much less predictable.

You could bake your diaphram before you tune it to stabilize it but that won't help with your glueing.

Patience is a virtue.

The 2461(looks like a 2461 to me in the picture) might be holding you back. The 2461 sounds just like the samples at cinemag site.

I've been using the ultra-thin cyanoacrylate and Loctite 770 for the diaphragm, except that it's to the brass backplate directly. I've found Delrin doesn't glue very well at all, as well. Tim, what are you using for your plastic rings? I've used acrylic for the centre support but after having cracking problems, I switched to polycarbonate and that seems to work well. I've only done a few edge-terminated capsules, so mostly only the centre support is an issue but I would guess that we'd be looking for the same qualities. Pretty much all of my capsules are made like the M7 or M8 these days. By the way, the Neumann M7 dimension for diaphragm to backplate appears to be 33-35 microns according to the surface depth gauge here at work.

-Dale

I mostly use brass for my rings but when I use other materials it's been acrylic. I always use 2 part epoxy and let it cure overnight. Nothing else holds as well.

Hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you would be interested in getting some mic diaphrams? i have a good stock of 6 micron mylar (german stock) i can supply it sputtered in 3 sizes to fit AKG, neuman 47 style and neumann 67 style. All diaphrams will be supplied in tension Jigs with a very simple adjustment system. I will accept returns of the jigs for a partial credit of any future orders. Prices are, $38 including the Jig. I will will give a $14 credit per jig returned toward any future order. Prices are the same for all three types. thanks.

I finally got a chance to put Dale's M7 into the 47 clone body. The sound is amazing. I was testing with a Tenlux and while it is a respectable performer, the M7 blows it away. The M7 has a massive proximity and a sensitivity to very low level vocal information that is quite impressive even going into the lame mike pres on a Tascam DM3200. I haven't even selected the "sweet side" either. The mike has an EF86, the traditional U47 circuit and a Cinemag 2480 output. I am going to try a 2461NiCo and the 512-clone mike pre next . . .

m7_capsule_mount.jpg

[quote author="giantbenny"]Hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you would be interested in getting some mic diaphrams? i have a good stock of 6 micron mylar (german stock) i can supply it sputtered in 3 sizes to fit AKG, neuman 47 style and neumann 67 style. All diaphrams will be supplied in tension Jigs with a very simple adjustment system. I will accept returns of the jigs for a partial credit of any future orders. Prices are, $38 including the Jig. I will will give a $14 credit per jig returned toward any future order. Prices are the same for all three types. thanks.[/quote]

Hi,

I may not be a buyer of your diaphragms as such but would like to ask you if you can deposit gold onto a 0,9 um mylar or hostaphan membrane (maybe 0,25 um but I don't know if that is available yet)? I will of course pay your for this. Ideally, the area deposited would have to be around 6*6 or 6*8 cm, or let me know what you can do .... Also, if you would be willing to sell one of your tensioning jigs - and have more information on the size of it, maybe a picture?

Thanks, Jesper

[quote author="burdij"]I finally got a chance to put Dale's M7 into the 47 clone body.[/quote]

where did you get that capsule mount? looks nice.

ed

Hi,

I know that this is an old thread however I hope someone can help.

Does anyone know where ready made tensioning jigs are available from?

Also I wondered if someone may have some tips on correctly setting the tension, perhaps with the assistance of an audio signal generator?

Thanks From,
H.

Latest posts

Back