CCA "Ultimate" Console Revival

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy DIY Friends,

After studying the diagrams further, I have decided to break this project up into two distinct parts.

Part one will consist of reimagining this console as a more modern summing mixer, while still incorporating some of its original components. The photo below is the proposed layout.

ConsoleDiagram_02.10.20224.jpg

The idea is to add XLR/Line inputs and outputs to the rear of the console chassis. The inputs from that section will be wired to channels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 of both individual 500 series racks - which have ten slots each.

Slots 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 on each of the two 500 series racks will then pass the audio to their next-door neighbor (channels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10). In doing this I am essentially creating a two slot 500 series channel strip. An example of this would be to have a 500 series mic/line amp on channels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 that feeds an equalizer on channels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.

After exiting the 500 series channel strips, the 10 remaining signals will be wired in line with an insert switch which will hookup to a patchbay. The idea here would be to take the processed signal out of the console to any other outboard gear I want to use, or I could just bypass the switch entirely.

Once past the insert portion of the console the 10 signals will go to corresponding panning knob sections that feed a summing bus.

I have not thought through the summing bus yet, however I would love to have the ability to drive the input and output stage of the bus using the Altec faders from the original console. Additionally, I have the available space to incorporate a headphone jack and volume knob, the original little playback speaker and volume knob, a switch to flip between three separate sources that'll feed the original API VU meters, and two 1/8 jack spaces I have not come up with a use for.

I'm curious on your collective thoughts on this design idea regarding part one of this project.

Also, since I teased it earlier, I'll follow-up on it in closing out this post; part two of this project consists of acquiring ANOTHER CCA Ultimate from a fella in Maryland who used to work for CCA. Depending on how part one of this journey turns out I might make a second console, or restore that one to its original specs.

View attachment 122122
KWHP = KiloWatt HorsePower???

[We had an Associated Press teletype machine (enclosed in a "sound proof" ... kinda... housing)]
-- Back during the late-60's, I worked at "the largest broadcast facility in Indiana" that had AM/FM/TV studios -- PLUS -- >> MUZAK << all in one building!!! (I can just hear all of the younger members on this forum reading this and asking themselves, "What the Hell is "MUZAK")??? -- Because all of the studios had so many teletype machines for their incoming news-feeds, they were all put into their own soundproofed room that was located way down the hall from all of the broadcast studios!!! Whenever any type of major news event would take place (i.e., a plane crash, major political speech, etc.), the teletype machines would start going crazy printing out the news reports and combined sound would nearly be deafening!!!

/
@MidnightArrakis That small FM station was an interesting place to work for a young "tech nerd". We had an Associated Press teletype machine (enclosed in a "sound proof" ... kinda... housing). Several clocks were fed with "timing" from....Western Union? We had that dedicated Bell line for various remote purposes. A Marti "Remote pickup" transmitter/receiver RF system ("We're live today from the Grand Opening at Waldo's Shoe Store"). The owner had a Ma Bell wireless telephone in one of the cars.

I am digging the radio history fellas. One of my jobs at present, as you might've guessed, is actually at a Radio station up here in Milwaukee. I welcome any and all reflection on your experiences, it's half the fun of undertaking a process like this. Also, since I've yet to mention it, here is some of my music that I make outside of my day job (and what this console would be used for): Greenhouse Hum - Spotify

@greenhouse_hum ...... Wow! Your sketch in post 21 is a very interesting veer! Couple of thoughts:

1. Since you'll need to chop two big rectangles into that panel for the 500 racks, it will definitely require some decent bracing on the rear of the panel to ensure rigidity, especially with the weight of all those 500 modules.

2. Keep in mind those Switchcraft "lever" switches use a mounting hole of just a bit under 1/2" diameter. You'll need to figure out some sort of metal washer system to adapt typical controls for the pan pots (bushing diameters 3/8"...or smaller).

Bri

Last edited:
I wish I could hear those songs on Spotify...I don't have an account. Guess I should sign up for a free one, but I'll use one of my "black hole" email accounts to avoid the inevitable spam onslaught from them <g>.

Since you seemed to enjoy Olde Radio memories/chitchat, here is a montage of photos in a video from the 50 year reunion of KWHP, assembled by a former program director. For some reason I didn't know about until after it had been held in 2012. I recognize perhaps a third of the folks in the vintage photos.

Snapshots of the CCA Ultimate in use at approx. 3:08, 5:16, 6:12, 8:05, 8:27.

Snaps of a custom console in the production room which was built with Farchild "600" series solid state modules and Gotham faders. 4:01 and 5:21. That second one has two pix with the second one showing the pair of Ampex AG-440 recorders.

Finally around 5:00 is a series of pix of Kevin Metheny (air name was Michael Flowers back then). He started at KWHP and went on to much bigger things. He is most (in)famous as "PIg Virus"/"Pig Vomit" in Howard Stern's Private Parts book and movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Metheny

Here's the reunion video:

Bri

Finally around 5:00 is a series of pix of Kevin Metheny (air name was Michael Flowers back then). He started at KWHP and went on to much bigger things. He is most (in)famous as "Pig Virus"/"Pig Vomit" in Howard Stern's Private Parts book and movie.
["Pig Virus"/"Pig Vomit" in Howard Stern's Private Parts book and movie] -- Ever since I saw the movie "Private Parts" (watched it in a theater twice and even bought the DVD!!!), whenever I now see the actor Paul Giamatti, who played the part of Kevin Metheny in any other movie, I always exclaim out loud....."HEY!!! IT'S 'PIG VOMIT'"!!!

/

Metheny and I both worked at KWHP in that same time frame....shrug. I barely remember him, except thinking at that time "he's an a$$". <g> IIRC, he was from Nichols Hills, the Old Money Mansion section of OKC. I was raised in a middle class section of OKC.

Apologies to @greenhouse_hum again for the hijack in this thread!

Bri

I wish I could hear those songs on Spotify...I don't have an account. Guess I should sign up for a free one, but I'll use one of my "black hole" email accounts to avoid the inevitable spam onslaught from them <g>.

Since you seemed to enjoy Olde Radio memories/chitchat, here is a montage of photos in a video from the 50 year reunion of KWHP, assembled by a former program director. For some reason I didn't know about until after it had been held in 2012. I recognize perhaps a third of the folks in the vintage photos.

Snapshots of the CCA Ultimate in use at approx. 3:08, 5:16, 6:12, 8:05, 8:27.

Snaps of a custom console in the production room which was built with Farchild "600" series solid state modules and Gotham faders. 4:01 and 5:21. That second one has two pix with the second one showing the pair of Ampex AG-440 recorders.

Finally around 5:00 is a series of pix of Kevin Metheny (air name was Michael Flowers back then). He started at KWHP and went on to much bigger things. He is most (in)famous as "PIg Virus"/"Pig Vomit" in Howard Stern's Private Parts book and movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Metheny

Here's the reunion video:

Bri

The old photos and logos in that montage are fantastic. If you have any KWHP merch or stickers with the logo that appears at 5:13 I would be interested in getting some - so darn cool. How odd to think back to a time where AM was still the dominant force when it comes to music airplay. The screenshots of the CCA are superb, thank you for including timestamps.

Here is another link to my music that should be accessible without the Spotify login: Greenhouse Hum Bandcamp
Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the two singles that are out at present!

@greenhouse_hum ...... Wow! Your sketch in post 21 is a very interesting veer! Couple of thoughts:

1. Since you'll need to chop two big rectangles into that panel for the 500 racks, it will definitely require some decent bracing on the rear of the panel to ensure rigidity, especially with the weight of all those 500 modules.

2. Keep in mind those Switchcraft "lever" switches use a mounting hole of just a bit under 1/2" diameter. You'll need to figure out some sort of metal washer system to adapt typical controls for the pan pots (bushing diameters 3/8"...or smaller).

Bri
This is a good point, although I believe the feet on the bottom of these 500 series racks will provide enough height to sit within the cutout so the unit won't actually be forcing that front plate to be weight bearing. I might have to bite the bullet and buy one of these before I start making cuts to ensure that I'm correct in that visualization, this is the rack I'm looking at at present: Lindell 510 Rack

[it will definitely require some decent bracing on the rear of the panel to ensure rigidity] -- Some simple "L" brackets mounted behind his front-panel should easily take care of that.

/
As I said in my last comment to Bri, I'm unsure if the front plate will be weight bearing - but I am going to dig deeper. Also, I saw your direct message, and I will reply to you today! I'd be super interested in your CNC work, and I'm also going to scan and upload some of the physical dimensions for everyone to chew on.

@greenhouse_hum I'll check out those tunes after the game <g>. As for KWHP merch, etc.....dude that was 52 years ago for me....LOL! Even if I could still fit into a t-shirt from back then <HA!> it would have disintegrated by now. So much of the stuff from back then was considered "throw away" at the time.

Bri

@greenhouse_hum Even though the Kansas City Chiefs are technically in KC, MO (and not Kansas) all of the locals here (including Okla. transplants such as myself) are big fans...LOL. The celebration party here at Camp Chaos ended a bit ago. I had to call a taxi for one of the attendees after I took away his car keys. ahem

Enjoyed the tunes you linked!

Back on topic now.......

The various pictures and that blueprint drawing you posted reminded me that the CCA front panel had a piano hinge at the bottom edge which allowed that panel to be tilted down for access/servicing. In your proposed new layout, I am concerned that with so much "metal meat" removed near the bottom of the panel would seriously compromise the strength of the panel/hinge assembly.

Also, I believe that lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell. IE, it slopes slightly backwards. Thus, the rear end of a rack attached to that section MIGHT "collide" with the bottom of the CCA's shell.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"....just thinking out loud.....

Bri

@greenhouse_hum Even though the Kansas City Chiefs are technically in KC, MO (and not Kansas) all of the locals here (including Okla. transplants such as myself) are big fans...LOL. The celebration party here at Camp Chaos ended a bit ago. I had to call a taxi for one of the attendees after I took away his car keys. ahem

Back on topic now.......

The various pictures and that blueprint drawing you posted reminded me that the CCA front panel had a piano hinge at the bottom edge which allowed that panel to be tilted down for access/servicing. In your proposed new layout, I am concerned that with so much "metal meat" removed near the bottom of the panel would seriously compromise the strength of the panel/hinge assembly.

Also, I believe that lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell. IE, it slopes slightly backwards. Thus, the rear end of a rack attached to that section MIGHT "collide" with the bottom of the CCA's shell.

Bri

[the CCA front panel had a piano hinge at the bottom edge] -- TRUE!!! See image below:
1707744221042.png

[ lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell. IE, it slopes slightly backwards] -- TRUE!!! I am taking a "wild guess" that the angle might be 15-degrees. Does anybody know what this angle is?
See image below:

1707744284693.png

[so much "metal meat" removed near the bottom of the panel would seriously compromise the strength of the panel/hinge assembly] -- TRUE!!! -- "3-FOR-3"!!! --- He will probably need to add-in some small "L" brackets here and there to provide the necessary mechanical reinforcement.

[I believe that lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell] -- TRUE!!! It is NOT!!!

[it slopes slightly backwards] -- I am guessing that it is tilting backwards at approximately a 15-degree angle.

[Thus, the rear end of a rack attached to that section MIGHT "collide" with the bottom of the CCA's shell] -- IT DOES!!! -- See my "really rough" mockup of the console-frame and a 500-Series 10-Slot chassis below:

1707750255756.png
As it is readily apparent to see here, the 500-Chassis extends down below the bottom of the console-frame. In fact, it actually extends down further than what you see here, as there are -- two -- tilt angles involved. The first tilt-angle is from the tilt of the front of the console-frame and the second tilt is from the supporting member of which the front-panel rests upon, as is seen in the manufacturer's dimensional drawing on the far left-side as shown in Post #31. I need some actual angle-data and a "pivot-point" in order for me to rotate my 500-Series mockup chassis back to where it would at least somewhat relate to "reality".
1707751056409.png

The blue 500-Series chassis mockup I have created is 5.25-inches high (3U) by 17.00-inches wide (standard 19" rack chassis width minus the rack-ears) and 7.50-inches deep (I called a Pro-Audio dealer earlier this morning and asked them if they could tell me what a 500-Series chassis depth is because I couldn't find any detailed mechanical data within any of the leading manufacturer's online catalogs). The console-frame mockup that you see above is an actual 1:1 scale model of the CCA console-frame based upon the dimensions shown in the image in Post #31.

[I had to call a taxi for one of the attendees after I took away his car keys] -- Were they driving a T-Bird???

Well you knew all along
That Brian Roth was gettin' wise to you now
(You shouldn't have lied now you shouldn't have lied)
And since he took your set of keys
You've been thinking that your fun is all through now

But you can come along with me
'Cause we gotta a lot of things to do now

And we'll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-bird away)

/

Back on topic now.......

Bri
Bri,

Not at all being a "Debbie Downer" you're spot on with your thoughts as our friend MA confirmed in post #34.

I think I can get creative with the choice of rack I use, and whether or not the front panel is even weight bearing, if I enlist a couple of my buddies (one of which is a welder, the other is a CNC woodworker). However, if there isn't enough space for the rack to sneak in I might need to cut through the bottom of the console to make that work which becomes a whole different animal.

More on this to follow.
[the CCA front panel had a piano hinge at the bottom edge] -- TRUE!!! See image below:
View attachment 122270

[ lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell. IE, it slopes slightly backwards] -- TRUE!!! I am taking a "wild guess" that the angle might be 15-degrees. Does anybody know what this angle is?
See image below:

View attachment 122271

[so much "metal meat" removed near the bottom of the panel would seriously compromise the strength of the panel/hinge assembly] -- TRUE!!! -- "3-FOR-3"!!! --- He will probably need to add-in some small "L" brackets here and there to provide the necessary mechanical reinforcement.

[I believe that lower front panel section is NOT perpendicular to the entire shell] -- TRUE!!! It is NOT!!!

[it slopes slightly backwards] -- I am guessing that it is tilting backwards at approximately a 15-degree angle.

[Thus, the rear end of a rack attached to that section MIGHT "collide" with the bottom of the CCA's shell] -- IT DOES!!! -- See my "really rough" mockup of the console-frame and a 500-Series 10-Slot chassis below:

View attachment 122291
As it is readily apparent to see here, the 500-Chassis extends down below the bottom of the console-frame. In fact, it actually extends down further than what you see here, as there are -- two -- tilt angles involved. The first tilt-angle is from the tilt of the front of the console-frame and the second tilt is from the supporting member of which the front-panel rests upon, as is seen in the manufacturer's dimensional drawing on the far left-side as shown in Post #31. I need some actual angle-data and a "pivot-point" in order for me to rotate my 500-Series mockup chassis back to where it would at least somewhat relate to "reality".
View attachment 122292

The blue 500-Series chassis mockup I have created is 5.25-inches high (3U) by 17.00-inches wide (standard 19" rack chassis width minus the rack-ears) and 7.50-inches deep (I called a Pro-Audio dealer earlier this morning and asked them if they could tell me what a 500-Series chassis depth is because I couldn't find any detailed mechanical data within any of the leading manufacturer's online catalogs). The console-frame mockup that you see above is an actual 1:1 scale model of the CCA console-frame based upon the dimensions shown in the image in Post #31.

[I had to call a taxi for one of the attendees after I took away his car keys] -- Were they driving a T-Bird???

Well you knew all along
That Brian Roth was gettin' wise to you now
And since he took your set of keys
You've been thinking that your fun is all through now

But you can come along with me
'Cause we gotta a lot of things to do now

And we'll have fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-bird away
(Fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-bird away)

/
MA,

I really appreciate you working out those mockups. I am going to get some detailed measurements tomorrow and upload my results. I also am going to try and acquire a 500 series rack pretty quickly hear to get exact dimensions on that as well!

_

You guys both rock! Thanks again for all the time and interest in this project.

I think inserting an entire 500 series chassis might not be doable given space constraints, I'll know more once I get exact measurements.

Instead, after mulling over ideas today, I’m thinking I should cut individual slots for each 500 series module to slide into.

Once slotted in, I can use a cable to connect to the actual PCB that will provide power and audio pathways.

Thoughts?

IMG_1130.jpeg

CAPI PCB
JLM Cable Extender

Last edited:
Re. the latest concept. You only show sixteen 500 series modules vs. the original 20 plan.

If this SOLELY a DAW mix box, you can reduce the entire gizmo down to ten 500 EQ modules and forget the mic preamps. ??

Bri

Re. the latest concept. You only show sixteen 500 series modules vs. the original 20 plan.

If this SOLELY a DAW mix box, you can reduce the entire gizmo down to ten 500 EQ modules and forget the mic preamps. ??

Bri
I don't have an answer on this yet. I still think the original intent - mic/line 500 series > 500 series FX > insert switch > pan knob > summing bus - could be really neat. However, I could get a lot of flexibility out of this if I just cave and make it into what is essentially a really cool rack chassis for 500 series gear and abandon the console functions.

I was thinking 16 channels because most DIY 500 series racks, like the Capi GDIY 508 and Capi 511, have 8 channels a pop. Jeff from Capi was kind enough to give me a stock update on those items, so I think this is the base PCB unit I am going to roll with. Depending on how much weight the console front panel can handle I could also go with 24 channels and 3 PCBs!

I have also been talking to Peterson from DIYRE. We touched base on those Neve style DIY 500 Series kits he is getting ready to roll out, and I noticed he has 500 Series Extenders as well, so I'll be ordering those through him instead of JLM since they'll ship quicker and I love his products (been using two EQP5 EQs with genuine API OpAmps on sources for a long while).

I plan on doing some measurements today and will create a followup post!

Latest posts

Back