CUBASE 7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
helterbelter said:
I have bought Cubase 7 as an upgrade from Cubase 4, but I use Cubase 6.5 instead of 7 because it feels more intuitive (being a longtime cubase user).

And what I really find strange, is that Cubase 7 owners have to pay for update 7.5.
( Well.... "strange"... I actually have other words for that. )

Yes precisely. The Cubase 7 development path has stalled on 7.0.6 and now for more fixes, you need to pay for the upgrade to 7.5

I can believe that they didn't fix, just as an example of the level of bug we're talking about here, the way the mixer window resizes every time you close and reopen it. This is really basic stuff.

I was reading somewhere recently that with a Cubase 7 licence I can install and run 6.5, so I might give that a go.

rob_gould said:
I was reading somewhere recently that with a Cubase 7 licence I can install and run 6.5, so I might give that a go.

Yes, this is the case. But the 6.5 install files aren't available on the steinberg site, only the updates. Fortunately, my brother in law had the installdvdrom of Cubase 6, so I borrowed it.

Spiritworks said:
I'm on 6.5.5 and it has been running great. I have no reason to move to another version.

Absolutely. The mixer of C7 looks like something fantastic, but in my case (and probably for most people), I prefer to use 3rd party plugins anyway. So, also with that in mind, 6.5.5 is just as good, maybe better.

helterbelter said:
And what I really find strange, is that Cubase 7 owners have to pay for update 7.5.

If it contains new important features then it's only sensible that consumers pay for them.

rob_gould said:
Yes precisely. The Cubase 7 development path has stalled on 7.0.6 and now for more fixes, you need to pay for the upgrade to 7.5

You sure? I know for some other .5 upgrades they did one final revision of the previous version (free update).

helterbelter said:
Yes, this is the case. But the 6.5 install files aren't available on the steinberg site, only the updates. Fortunately, my brother in law had the installdvdrom of Cubase 6, so I borrowed it.

I'd browse the forum or do some nifty sleuthing and you'd maybe still find those files. But then again, it's Steinberg so who knows.

helterbelter said:
Absolutely. The mixer of C7 looks like something fantastic, but in my case (and probably for most people), I prefer to use 3rd party plugins anyway. So, also with that in mind, 6.5.5 is just as good, maybe better.

The new mixer has some nice features, but also some workflow-killing mind-numbingly stupid ones. Like the way they totally and utterly screwed up how to get key commands to work on the mixer, and the Control Room layout, which is about as dumb as it gets.

rob_gould said:
Very sensible!

Off topic, did you order a TTSH over on MuffWiggler? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on mine...

No I didn’t order in the end.
I just missed the first release, I had the cash in my account but the next run isn’t going to be march at the earliest so I splashed out on a couple of new modules, one or 2 diy kits for other modules and a 9u doepfer case to sit on top of my Analogue Systems RS15 which is 6u.
I decided against the TTSH for now as I already have more functionality than a TTSH in my existing rack, plus the build time would detract from actually making music.
That doesn’t stop it from being the coolest DIY project in existence though!

helterbelter said:
mattiasNYC said:
You sure? I know for some other .5 upgrades they did one final revision of the previous version (free update).

You're right, there's a 7.0.7 update available sincs januari 2014.

Guess I shouldn't be so negative eh!  Thanks for the tip.

I see that there are mutliple fixes relating to the Mix Console in the release notes, so fingers crossed some of the irritations have been dealt with.

It happens sometimes. I have faith that Steinberg will get it right. They just missed a little. Yes 6.5 was more stable but better sometimes has qrowing pains.

Just reading over this.  I'm still on 5.5.  These days I mainly use Ableton, but I reopened some old songs I've been working on and I'm having such a brutal time navigating through all these tracks to find what I'm looking for.  I glanced at the update and it looks like now they have a more pro-tools way of showing and hiding tracks and also tab to transients, so I think I'm going to make the jump.  Also recently updated to mavericks so may try and switch everything over to 64 bit (reason, cubase, and ableton).  I'll lose a bunch of plugins I guess but its inevitable and I've got a few weeks till the next gig so a little downtime to clean up any messes...(he says hopefully)

Back