DIY 2 bus EQ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruairioflaherty said:
I'm not sure there's any mileage left in this debate but it's not always the marketing guys, at least as often it's the musicians.  I'm working right now on a mix that's pushed way beyond what is reasonable, the artist loves it and there's no money men involved.  Can I blame them?  Not really.

No, I was not trying to open that debate again - God forbid - just having a bit of a whinge. It just annoys me when artists like Keith Richards extol the virtues of 8 track tape and 'live' recording and then the last Stones album had the life compressed out of it so much it actually makes my ears hurt. Stupid thing is the music was as good as ever but I just cannot listen to that album - maybe we can do a de-mastering project to breathe some dynamics into commercial recordings - should make a mint.

Cheers

Ian

quad buss most likely an ssl

new-bus-for-london_PS89k_58.jpg

Mono buss
greyhound-bus-2.jpg

Stereo buss most likely a neve

a-new-bus-for-london-by-aston-martin-and-foster-partners-uk-capoco-design-ltd-uk.jpg

buss compression

hummer-vs-school-bus_460x0w.jpg

Balanced buss

bus01.jpg

routing Matrix

wifi-bus.jpg

Buss with reverb

22940,xcitefun-malta-water-bus-2-900px.jpg

;D Nice work on busses, Pucho!
strangeandbouncy said:
I took an online course in Mastering at Berklee, and now have the skills
Hey Andy, I remember you were talking about taking that course, can you tell a little about your impressions?
Worth the money?
I was thinking if it'd be cool or not. Like, do they just state the obvious or is there some indepth info?
Any kind of lab work?

Sorry to bust up the fun but what have you guys who have built a number of these DIY projects found to be the best for Mix Buss?  The Sontecs?  I am in need of something until I can afford a Great River EQ.  That thing is amazing!

I think you will find that you can DIY an eq sounds just as good. The others will be chideing in shortly I'm sure.
Fwiw. My first build was a 1176, sound just as good as any other one I've heard... for 1/3-1/4 of the price.

I know DIY sounds great I have many projects done already.  But i don't no of anything that is really perfect for Mix Buss.  Anyone have any ideas?  The only thing I have heard anyone really talk about are the Sontecs.

A passive EQ with wide scoops probably will work better on a mix bus. Better do those surgical scoops on individual tracks only. I'm actually slowly designing a passive EQ with highshelf, mid bell and a low shelf, tube make up gain and transformers in and out. There is something great about inductors and what they do to the sound. Opamps don't quite manage that.

My experience is that sontecs can be a bit boring. It's an accurate power tool for error correction, but there is little or no color.

dandeurloo said:
I am in need of something until I can afford a Great River EQ.  That thing is amazing!

Dan's stuff is righteous, Haven't heard the EQ, but I'm sure it sounds fabulous!

I've got a pair of his proto pre's that he most graciously sold to me way back when.

They get daily use around here.

Mark

Kingston, that sound like what I am looking for!  Something really gentle but sounds great!  Not a tone of color but not boring. 

I do think the Sontecs would be very useful tools but exactly like you described, sugical and slightly boring.  I am in need of high and low end boost and color.  Just something to gently nudge my mix along.  I was hoping to do some pultecs at some point but they are so expensive.

Biasrocks, yes Dan's gear sounds amazing.  I love all of his eq's!  They are really great sounding.  I can't wait for him to finish his new compressor.  That thing will be a serious piece of gear.

EQs seem to be quite fashionable this year!  Everyone wants one or ten. I need more pultecs for sure and got some stuff in the works. Kingston, if you use the "enhanced" type inductor for yours (312mH), I'm going to make some very nice toroidals soon. Probably do a group buy cuz they are pricey. 

I vote pultec!

You can P2P a pultec pretty easily, but Frank's enhanced (v1) works very well if you can etch. Caps will set you back $10 or so, Alpha switches/pots another $20, add an inductor $20-50 and the filter is done.  The amp can go anywhere from $10 (trafoless 5532 circuit like Frank's) to $150 or more and everything in between.  They will all sound good, and if you build the 5532 amp, you can always add transformers and a discrete stage later (2520, neve, tube, whatever). It's one of the easiest projects here.

If I could find a good way of adding a mid bell I would have added it to mine, but I just figured I'd stick to what works. And it works well.

cheers!

mitsos said:
If I could find a good way of adding a mid bell I would have added it to mine

It's technically easy, but practically a lot of (wiring) work. Just need an additional tube stage with reasonable gain and low enough impedance. You'll essentially have two filter networks then, one for high and low cuts and boosts, and one for mid bell(s). That's how all the big boys do it too.

Like the Fearn? Never heard it but I bet it's nice. 

So you're doing something like  in-->pultec EQP -> amp->Mid->amp->output ?  Is your mid bell boost/cut?  So you do need an actual amp in the middle for that due to the mid having insertion loss?  Do you have a trafo at the output of the middle amp? I was thinking of having an extra 2520 in mine (my current "thing" is 2520 makeup, but anything else could be substituted)

bump and yes a Pultec style EQ is great on the mix and may I suggest the "Mitsos Pultec" project that is coming up in the lab? If you want a different or cleaner flavour just plug in a different opamp for the 2520, although I have two 2520 on my console master bus (per channel) and I think it sounds great! You will find yourself doing less EQ on the individual tracks when you have a gentle EQ on the master fader, at least that's how it works for me!

hey, just saw this! Thanks for the plug!  ;D

Project is coming right along, hopeful to have news soon!

i would look at the Sontec project for sure. the classic mixbus EQ is the GML and it's very similar in design to the GML.
i'm considering building one myself for just this purpose but with only the top and bottom bands to keep the costs down, and switched for easy recalls.

Latest posts

Back