Diy Monitors - to build or not to build PART II

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here I am again with updates. :twisted: I promised madness about woofers :evil:
Main problem was to fit needed volume into existing soffit wall. making box and fitting inside was impossible , so fine tunning the bricks and studs was necessarily. At the beginning, I need to mention that we spent about two weeks doing this, around 100 hours :shock:
But, I think that "box" will be rock solid :green:

empty.jpg

Here's the pic of empty space. We added front stud and right separating MDF wall...
brick-and-hammer.jpg

Hammer "fine tunning" :wink: and mounting 2x2 brace carriers.
purpen.jpg

We did that with screwing and pur pen gluing.
kitwalls.jpg

Some filling and bung hole were done with wall kit
wooddustglue.jpg

Some borders filling with MDF dust and glue mixture

bracefront.jpg

Here's the middle brace and front baffle....
brace-trimming.jpg

Some fine tunning again :wink:
marko-braces-inside.jpg

Here's the some of the braces fitted into box... Mark is posing :wink:
markoskeletonbraces.jpg

All braces fitted and Mark is posing again :grin:
skeleton-1.jpg

And at last, here's the brace skeleton. Just for picture, will be glued inside of box :cool:

Oh I forget about filling the small holes and making the space sealed...

rain-elastic.jpg

We used this. Some chemistry looking like rubber... After 2 or 3 "hands" it makes the 3mm rubber film
rain-elastic2.jpg

The primer smells like shit , and hope that "thing" doesn't cause addiction :wink:

I just want to point to the german Loudspeaker DIY-magazine 'Hobby Hifi', which has a speaker project in it's current issue (Aug/Sept 2006) which should make great 'big speakers' http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Aktuell/Aktuelle_Ausgabe/aktuelle_ausgabe.html (I guess the picture on that link will expire, when the next issue gets shipped).
They use 2 Usher 15 PA-2 for the lows, 2 Audax HM210 Z10 for the mids and an Expolinear RT-7 Pro for the highs. They get about 98 dB/Watt, so higher listenig levels should really be possible. Frequency response is flat ('speaker-flat', not 'amp-flat' - though close to that) from 50 Hz to 20 kHz. The parts for 1 speaker should be about 2000? for the basic crossover or about 3200? for a crossover using high-end parts. If I had the cash available, I would build those immediately, I built some (much) smaller speakers designed by them years ago and was always very pleased with the results. I believe it would be illegal, if I posted the article here... :cry:

Michael

This is the crossover:

http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/glimmX/geh.jpg

I wouldn't spend ?2500 to get this crossover if you can get the Behr DCX for less than 300? and Hypex amps for 75? (180/105W) 125? (the 400/210W) / channel.

Besides I think the Audax drivers are no more made (or did they reorganize the production ? Don't know for sure, see the announcement @ http://www.audax.fr/ ).

This is the crossover:

http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/glimmX/geh.jpg

I wouldn't spend ?2500 to get this crossover if you can get the Behr DCX for less than 300? and Hypex amps for 75? (180/105W) 125? (the 400/210W) / channel.
I agree :cool: BTW, besides illegal activity I would like to see the project. :wink: Unfortunately I'm afraid that out of Germany nobody can buy "hobbyhifi" magazine :?

OK, here's the update. Seems that I see the end... :?
extrague.jpg

that's how we did the extra gluing. Lot of MDF dust and wood glue in all corners and joins. Must tell that construction is very, VERY rigid now :green:
adding-parts-for-volume.jpg

Also we added the extra parts for exact needed volume (80L).
All braces , slats and studs included...
completed-braces.jpg

Here's the pic of completed construction. :grin:
Just need to fill the box with insulation and to fix the front plate :!:

[quote author="dukasound"]Bravo Moby :thumb:
And Mark too!!! Thanks for driving throught Belgrade[/quote]
Always welcome :thumb:

Just to tickle your imagination :wink:
Here's the scanspeak drivers ready for "work". Just few days left for the first listening test :razz:

18w.jpg

18W/8545K00

midbasstwfront.jpg

18W/8545K00 and D2905/970000 ready for screwing :wink:

Here I am :grin:
Here's the update pictures too.
Woofers are finished, working great and proudly down to 35hz :wink:
I have to make some serious measuring but still don't have DSP crossover to do fine tunning...
woofers-fill.jpg

Box is filled with 3 kind of insulation... Some 50kg/m3 and 100kg m/3 stone-wool and some white synthetic wool. (still waiting for natural sheep wool :wink: )
beta-woofers.jpg

working with 12db/oct analog lowpass from around 90hz and tannoy high-passed at same freq
Dzoni.jpg

do some serious shakin' in low end :wink:

Little about MTM...
MTM-front.jpg

I made some construction changes with front plate and here are the pics.
MTM-fortyfier.jpg

Fortifier drying...
MTM-front.jpg

Front plate is now made from 3 peace. The middle one is if I change my mind and decide to do psychical time align of the tweeter...
tweeter-plate.jpg

Here is the tweeter ....
tweeter-back.jpg

And some back view of the tweeter plate. Also, there are the nuts for m5 screws :wink:

Will be back soon :thumb:

I stopped my main monitoring project few months before because lack of free time and because I was looking for amplification option. At last, after testing some projects (including gainclone) I finished and must say that system sounds marvelous. Accurate and precise in full range. Sealed system is definitely way to go if you want to hear all details :thumb: As you can see I decided to go with Hypex UCD modules, twoo UCD400 for sub and mid-bass and UCD180 for tweeter. Also, I designed my version of HG PSU with dc protection and mute option. I went with separate transformers for each band (total 800w) and I included soft start options. Only thing left is to modify DCX2496, but even without modification is sounds good enough :wink:
Thanks to Jan from Hypex and Milena from Mundorf :thumb: Happy new year!!!
Cheers :guinness: :sam:
hypex-KOLAZ.jpg

Ok guys...I have to tell you that my monitoring system works great. Really great! :grin: So I can recommend this project l.. I can say that I'm pretty experienced in studio work but I represented this to some of my colleagues too, people I trust, and comments were really great. They compared the system with systems like Lipinski or similar.... :green: Interesting is that MTM part of monitors are working great as free standing so adding some sub units is an option.
Also, I must tell that crossover is really important part of the accuracy. Before I modified my Behr..DCX2496 sound was not so precise, but now I really enjoy in my knife sharp sound picture. So, I started new thread about upgrading analog stage of DCX2496. Any help about will be useful :wink:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27510

[quote author="Svart"]Nice monitors! Nice girl too!

:green:

:guinness: :guinness:[/quote]
Thanks Svart :grin: Heh, what to say, Serbian beauty :wink:

Latest posts

Back