Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Gustav

sorry if i offended someone. that was not my intention. the BOM has great parts. its just not very easy when it comes to ordering.
anyways...maybe you know what wattage rating all the resistors have?
it would help me a great deal. the ones on the BOM are rated 0.6 watt - but i assume thats just what collin ordered? most resistors are rated a lot lower. im a beginner after all :) please help. thanks!

salomonander said:
hey Gustav

sorry if i offended someone. that was not my intention. the BOM has great parts. its just not very easy when it comes to ordering.
anyways...maybe you know what wattage rating all the resistors have?
it would help me a great deal. the ones on the BOM are rated 0.6 watt - but i assume thats just what collin ordered? most resistors are rated a lot lower. im a beginner after all :) please help. thanks!

Puzzled is not the same as offended :)

Good luck with the project!

Gustav

hey Gustav

can i repeat my questiobn regarding the wattage rating of the resistors? do you know anything about it? 0.6 watts is almost impossible to find in 1% tolerance and i guess one could use something with lesser ratin?

I'm pretty sure you can use 1/2W (500mW) resistors, plenty of 1% options.
I guess 1/4W could be used in many places in this build, but since I'm a dumb knewb
I wouldn't take any chances. Besides, "I've read somewhere" 1/2W resistors are more
consistent then 1/4 Watters, but what do I know  ;)

Good luck
M

Gustav said:
An update on this.

Waiting for proper standoffs and a few other bits to finish up.

Gustav

Can you share the front panel design to know exactly where to drill the holes?

thanks in advance  :)

jicama said:
Gustav said:
An update on this.

Waiting for proper standoffs and a few other bits to finish up.

Gustav

Can you share the front panel design to know exactly where to drill the holes?

thanks in advance  :)

Sorry, but I don't have access to one, and as far as I know, Colin has not provided one.

I asked Frank/Frontpanels.de if he could make a panel for me, and I also think that Dan/Collective cases offered a case for this project at some point. You might have luck contacting one of those gentlemen direct for some measurements.

Gustav

i have to say that this is an amazing project. the colourbook made it the easiest thing ever.  i built two units in one evening. the pcb is a piece of art. really amazing layout. and all of these philips caps look so cute :) i guess ill get frustrated once i get to calibration -  but so far im very happy with this! failed to order the bc212l - so i have to wait for those before i can put the lid on.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized I probably reversed the XLR mounting (which would explain a lot, since the ground pin is not in the center) - further trouble shooting pending

I am trying to build two channels of these and just powered up the first channel.

Problem

Audio goes through (Even with no power connected), controls are not responding, but I can use the "range" control to turn the LED on/off.

Possible solution 1

The front is not screwed into the case, and the main board is standing free on stand-offs (not screwed into the case either). After building a few Ez1073, I found that the chassis ground was done via pots and mounting studs.  The ez760 schematic is a bit hard to follow with regard to how the ground via mounting points was done, but I have sort of a wishful hunch that getting everything mounted could magically do the trick.

Possible solution 2

I recently learned  :-[ that you can't assume the pin-out is identical on identically named transistors, and I forgot to measure the transistors for this build before putting them in. I might find the cause of problems if I go through them.

Questions

Before I proceed, I would like to know if anyone can confirm I did not mirror the wiring from the main board to the control board. (picture attached)

And if there are any other inputs for the trouble shooting portion..

Thanks for any help :)

Gustav

Attachments

• wiring.gif
    wiring.gif
    140 KB · Views: 55
shabtek said:
wiring.gif is correct

Thanks!

I was thinking "theres something odd about the grounding", and "how is the signal getting through? How is the bypass designed?", but I try not to assume too much or rule anything out, since I am still learning.

In this case, it was the grounding, but unfortunately something as trivial as connecting audio pins in/out to the ground.

Unit is working fine - just gotta figure out how to calibrate and mount the stereo switch now :)

Gustav

Sorry for the delay, kept forgetting to get this off my home PC:

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_front_panel.fpd

[Shaeffer front panel express file].

I think that is the correct drawing.... but it was a long time ago !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
Sorry for the delay, kept forgetting to get this off my home PC:

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_front_panel.fpd

[Shaeffer front panel express file].

I think that is the correct drawing.... but it was a long time ago !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Very useful.

And some progress...

Gustav

Attachments

• EZ-2l.gif
    EZ-2l.gif
    155.8 KB · Views: 106

Latest posts

Back