Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Gris said:
You can try: http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php

I also want to build a stereo version of the ez760 some day and not too long ago I checked with
Cricklewood and they seem to still have them(and other discontinued transistors).

You, like me, live outside of UK so ther webshop doesn't work(if I'm correct??) but you can email or phone them.
They do sell to outside of UK.

If it works out, maybe you could buy some extra of obsolete transistors needed for the ez760 and sell
with your boards. I know I would be interested when the time comes, AND IT WILL COME SOME DAY  ;)

If I'm not mistaken BC550B can also be used insted of BC182B (something I've read somewhere and haven't studied data sheets)

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards
Magnus

thanks for the reply.

I am actually looking for a replacement rather than NOS, because I do indeed want to offer parts with the boards if my build turns out well. For that, I want something that is in steady supply that I have actually tested in action.

Gustav

Gustav said:
Dr Gris said:

I also want to build a stereo version of the ez760 some day and not too long ago I checked with
Cricklewood and they seem to still have them(and other discontinued transistors).

You, like me, live outside of UK so ther webshop doesn't work(if I'm correct??) but you can email or phone them.

If it works out, maybe you could buy some extra of obsolete transistors needed for the ez760 and sell
with your boards. I know I would be interested when the time comes, AND IT WILL COME SOME DAY  ;)

If I'm not mistaken BC550B can also be used insted of BC182B (something I've read somewhere and haven't studied data sheets)

Best regards
Magnus

thanks for the reply.

I am actually looking for a replacement rather than NOS, because I do indeed want to offer parts with the boards if my build turns out well. For that, I want something that is in steady supply that I have actually tested in action.

Gustav

This would be great Gustav, i put this project on the back burner, because i had such a hard time sourcing the proper transistors. I already purchased 2 pcbs from you, if you do come up with a kit of some sort, count me in for 2 for sure, shoot, i may even build another pair if you get that kit done..?

thanx
T

tonycamp said:
Gustav said:
Dr Gris said:

Best regards
Magnus

thanks for the reply.

Gustav

This would be great Gustav, i put this project on the back burner, because i had such a hard time sourcing the proper transistors. I already purchased 2 pcbs from you, if you do come up with a kit of some sort, count me in for 2 for sure, shoot, i may even build another pair if you get that kit done..?

thanx
T

You can simply try the list I posted, if transistors is all thats keeping you back :) Much better than paying me for shopping assistance ;)

Gustav

Gustav,

I see you are putting up something special in january :)
How about them ribbon cables and connectors?

I know that a part of DIY is sourcing parts and I too think it's fun for some parts,
But going through Mouser and the likes for a lot of small stuff is boring to me,
so I really appreciate kits.

Best
Magnus

Dr Gris said:
Gustav,

I see you are putting up something special in january :)
How about them ribbon cables and connectors?

I know that a part of DIY is sourcing parts and I too think it's fun for some parts,
But going through Mouser and the likes for a lot of small stuff is boring to me,
so I really appreciate kits.

Best
Magnus

I will just cable the "prototype". For now, I am testing to see if the transistor replacements I found will work. If they don't, it might be a bit longer than january, but if a kit happens, I will include the connectors or something equally practical.

Got the iron today from Colin - such a great service he offers.

Gustav

Attachments

• Iron&Wine.gif
    Iron&Wine.gif
    269.6 KB · Views: 112
Hi Gustav,

Any luck with sourcing replacement transistors?
I see your kit has been taken down from your site  :'(

Happy New Year!
Magnus

Please if someone can post the actual BOM 2013 of this project, I am really interested to order a couple of pcb's from Mr Grinder but I've been reading some components from the color book are obsolete, I will appreciate if some one can post the substitution

Thanks

Dr Gris said:
Hi Gustav,

Any luck with sourcing replacement transistors?
I see your kit has been taken down from your site  :'(

Happy New Year!
Magnus

Yeah - I recently moved, and I forgot to bring the board I had soldered up (left it at a friends shop), so it will be a while before I can check it out.

Gustav

:-\ it seems this project is not very enthusiastic by the people, I'm not sure to start something I will not get support...

Like pink Floyd  said "Is anybody out there?"

jicama said:
:-\ it seems this project is not very enthusiastic by the people, I'm not sure to start something I will not get support...

Like pink Floyd  said "Is anybody out there?"

I posted a list of possible replacements (not verified) 5-6 posts back, and I found a bag of 2N3820 on ebay. I will try to get things moving on testing the unit to let you know about the replacements, but I am not really sure when I can get my hands on the board I soldered up.

I think Colin's manual covers the build very well, and I do think you are 100% right that it is not a good project to take on if you need support aside from that as it is now.

Gustav

Is just I don't see much movement compare to other projects, perhaps I think i going to start collecting all the components an I will give it a try the manual seems to be very well explained and the final result looks awesome...

I have two of these boards waiting to go as well, the colour book linked to on Gustav's site is just that, an incredibly well laid out guide to connecting it all up  :)

I'd be willing to share my rookie findings/mistakes as I go.

Gareth

I've finally put the lid on this single channel; DIY input transformer, none on the output, PSU board bolted to where the output transformer should be, power switch at the rear, sidechain insert TRS wired in to the compressor section, knob caps to follow the original's knob colours.

Attachments

• F760 front.jpg
    F760 front.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 101
Oh yeah!!!!
Tell us how it sounds!
Is the expander useful?
Did you go with original transistors or did you find some good substitutes?
Please share....

Best
Magnus

Dr Gris said:
Oh yeah!!!!
Tell us how it sounds!
Is the expander useful?
Did you go with original transistors or did you find some good substitutes?
Please share....

Best
Magnus

It sounds fine to me but I'm not a music engineer. Most of the transistors were bought from Rapid, which ones are you having trouble sourcing?

I haven't tried sourcing yet, but I've been following this thread with interest,
cause I want to build a pair when time and money let me...

From what I understand most of the transistors in the BOM are discontinued.
Gustav who makes the board posted a bunch of substitutes in this thread,
but there were one in particular he couldn't find a sub for.
Can't remember which one ( one page back)
So if you don't mind, I'm interested in what transistors you used.

Thanks
Magnus

Latest posts

Back