Front Panel Hinge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Anyone who has serviced a Neve console will know about the drop down rear panels which allow access to the inner wiring looms. Even the little mixers I build have masses of wiring and easy access to the internals would be very useful. At the moment I have to unscrew the entire rear panel and just let it dangle on the wiring loom which tens to put unnecessary strain on connectors. So was wondering if anyone has come across a simple retrofittable hinge that is compatible with the Eurorack system I use so I could emulate the drop down feature of Neve rear panels.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the links everybody. My first thought was piano hinges but it looks like the smallest I can find are too big. However, I have now come across some really small hinges designed for doll's houses that look to be the right size. Of course, doll's house part suppliers don't provide dimensioned drawings o_O

Cheers

Ian

A brass piano hinge is probably readily available at the local hardware store , its easy to cut yourself with a junior hacksaw ,
so no need for the all the bespokeness :)

Anyone who has serviced a Neve console will know about the drop down rear panels which allow access to the inner wiring looms. Even the little mixers I build have masses of wiring and easy access to the internals would be very useful. At the moment I have to unscrew the entire rear panel and just let it dangle on the wiring loom which tens to put unnecessary strain on connectors. So was wondering if anyone has come across a simple retrofittable hinge that is compatible with the Eurorack system I use so I could emulate the drop down feature of Neve rear panels.

Cheers

Ian
1) This link I have included below should probably provide you with most any type of hinge that you could ever need:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/door-hinges/hinges-2~/

2) All of the hinge products also come with dimensioned drawings, as is shown here:

1714048688482.png

NOTE: I purposely selected the absolute smallest hinge available on this site "just because"!!!

3) All of the hinge products on this site -- ALSO -- have downloadable 3D CAD-models, of which I am able to load into my SolidWorks 3D Mechanical Design program, as is shown here:

1714049206235.png

>> Just downloaded and imported CAD-model:
1714049447654.png

>> Find a hinge that will work for your application on the site in the link above and then download the PDF file of its dimensioned drawing. Then, send me its Part Number so I am able to download its 3D CAD-model for you.

/

Thanks Jerry. I will measure up the extrusion this has to fit onto and pick a suitable hinge from McMaster and let you know.

Cheers

Ian

Back