GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently scored a bunch of free toroid assemblys (toroid trafo with mounting bracket and IEC socket with power switch and fuse socket). They're all 230V in and 28V-0V-28V 2.3A out.
A LM7815/LM7915 combo Will handle up to +/- 35V. Though it's probably overkill, could i (safely) use one of these toroids to power two GSSL's in one 2U case?

grrrunge said:
I recently scored a bunch of free toroid assemblys (toroid trafo with mounting bracket and IEC socket with power switch and fuse socket). They're all 230V in and 28V-0V-28V 2.3A out.
A LM7815/LM7915 combo Will handle up to +/- 35V. Though it's probably overkill, could i (safely) use one of these toroids to power two GSSL's in one 2U case?
No. AC voltage isn't = DC voltage. See http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.msg714443#msg714443

At least. Could be a lot higher. 35V caps rating wouldn't be sufficient as well when using different type/circuit of voltage regulators that could take this input voltage and the regulators I/O voltage differential times load current will generate lots of heat. Better use your transformers for a different project or as a doorstop instead.

gyraf said:
...28-0-28 would make a good power source for a 1176...

Jakob E.

Awesome! Like the Phat Phet pcb from PCBgrinder? I've got one of those on my to-do list during the summer holidays...

Hi guys.  I'm in the process of drilling the faceplate for my PCB Grinder GSSL project, and want to keep it all as aesthetically pleasing as possible.  It's going to have a turbo and sidechain, with the turbo constantly on (& no need for a switch).

Anyway, space is tight, i've already fitted the meter and on/off switch, and i'm hoping to use a rocker switch for the bypass.  Unfortunately it's late, i'm having a brain fade looking at the schematic, and i'm not good with the acronyms used for switch naming  :-[  Am I chasing a DPDT or 3PDT switch for bypass... or something esle?

IMG_0096_zps66b45c2a.jpg

I've tried searching through the thread, but at 320 pages long it's a behemoth to get through  :-X

Che_Guitarra said:
..use a rocker switch for the bypass.
Am I chasing a DPDT or 3PDT switch for bypass...
DPDT (without illuminated status display). Using relais for more needed switch poles will be easier and cheaper to source than a >2pole rocker switch. YMMV.

hi Guys,

I finished my New GSSL and imm. after powering up, the outer 10Ohm burned, I changed it and again...

I got no shorts there and any part is soldered correct.

Can some one tell me how much Watt both have to have?
1 got Metall 1%, 0.6W, 2x15VA Torroid

thx

Solved it, got a Shorty,  ::)

Working right now.

Question;

I want to build a Turbo into for getting better Stereo-Compression..

Do I also have to add a second Sidechainboard to compress in Stereo?

at the SC Board, Left and Right are joint together right after the In!!!

Greg S. said:
I want to build a Turbo into for getting better Stereo-Compression..

I would recommend getting to know the unit as it is, and then later decide if you really need changes. "Better" stereo compression does not make sense - it's all a matter of taste and real-life use.

I know that all the add-ons are easy to consider must-haves - but the basic unit actually goes a long way.

Jakob E.

hello!! been a while! i hope all is well :)
just placing the parts on rev 11 is there any documentation for this revision? i got the rev 9 documents and they are quite outdated!! been trying to find for a while but not much luck!!
thanks a lot !

EDIT: Found em :)  https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=51

hello! other thing i have in mind..
are the 10 and 22 ohm safe under 1/4w or should i go for 1/2?
in this design does the CRC becomes obsolete then?!

and on a separate note..
i am using serpent audio`s VCA`s for this builds. should i adapt them same as i did with igor`s?
with igor`s VCA`s, i had 2.5k instead of 15k just under the "output" letters on the board also 220pf instead of the 100pf there.
i also used 182k instead of the 1M (% on new board) and a jumper wire instead of the 27k* between regulators and vca`s
i wonder if this is ok with the new VCA boards or i got to do something different?

all the best!

ptron said:
i am using serpent audio`s VCA`s for this builds. should i adapt them same as i did with igor`s?
with igor`s VCA`s, i had 2.5k instead of 15k just under the "output" letters on the board also 220pf instead of the 100pf there.
i also used 182k instead of the 1M (% on new board) and a jumper wire instead of the 27k* between regulators and vca`s
i wonder if this is ok with the new VCA boards or i got to do something different?
2K5 feedback resistor is correct if 4 VCAs are fitted per module. I'd increase the 220pF across this feedback resistors to 330pF. Jumper instead of the 27K voltage to current converters (these 4*20K in paralleled VCAs are on the module) is correct as well. The 182K (probably 180K for 4*2181As, 56K for 4*2181Bs or 33K for 4*2181Cs) instead of 1M depends on type of THAT2181 used on VCA modules.

I have a problem with ssl when joining is quiet and starts blinking LED when the switch does not work release and compression

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qlis66dz7ggg0li/AAAkxMLH0gc-rCbPQF7pqX0ta

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oah0xbkry30gry2/IMG_2143.MOV

Looks like some problems with the voltage regulators, maybe also a latchup problem with the 7815 regulator.

Which kind of brand do you use for your 7815? TS branded regulators don't seem to work properly, I have switched to Fairchild to solve the problem.

Back