GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooked up balanced or unbalanced? Unbalanced yields 6dB less. Ain't explain 10dB. But better also check to exclude.

check actual resistor values? check supply voltages? check for shorts?
Thanks for the reply! I have voltages all voltages fine except for the -15 to vca’s and -12 to side chain. No shorts and all resistor values seem correct
Hooked up balanced or unbalanced? Unbalanced yields 6dB less. Ain't explain 10dB. But better also check to exclude.
hi thanks for the reply. It’s balanced xlr

When I remove the TL074 the device never crashes, out of 20 times I restart it it has no supply problems.I changed the tl074 and it happened again.change all the regulators.What's going on here?????

Hey guys, first thing you allways check, are PSU voltages everywhere they have to be. Remove all the opamps and vca's and you should get all the psu voltages where they have to be. That's the main thing. If you don't have them there:
a) check for the solder joints, better with the meter.
b) check the traces (yes some pcb's are delicate, i had this situation)
C) check resistor values
First you need to find out out, where you missing psu voltages.

While cleaning up my studio, I found the PCBs for a GSSL and a super sidechain that I bought a long time ago. Excited by the discovery, I've decided to dive into the project. As I checked the forum thread to see where the current clone stands, the question popped up – should I bother adding the turbo board? The expataudio site advises against it, but I'm curious about what other folks think.

Looking through the expataudio site, I noticed in the turbo board purchase link it says:

"You'll be able to "bolt on" a turbo to ANY GSSL, and it will be compatible with any sidechain filter PCBs... you'll just need to add a second sidechain filter PCB for the turbo sidechain as well."

Now, I assume that my super sidechain PCB from pcbgrinder can be utilized, and I simply need to acquire another one. Can someone confirm if my assumption is correct?

Hello, I'm having trouble making mine work.

Its from PCB grinder, a kit that came with most components pre-selected. It uses the 2180B and the instructions were not hard to follow. i think i built everything correctly but i still have no sound.

I dont have signal after the 27k resistor, so, no audio geting into the main opamp stage.

I'm using a signal tracer to check if audio is getting there. I have a scope if needed.

Voltages appear to be correct. changed the 2134 to be sure they are working. no problem.

I searched the forums and some people with similar problem had issues i dont seem to have (checked pins and solders and so far, components seem right. i'm out of ideas.

When you reach this point, I found that a component might be loose.
Run audio and touch every component and wiggle them slowly, one at a time.

A high quality picture of your work might be helpful.

So you might have a loose connection there?
What about the HPF connection.. have you checked that?

Btw I don’t think that the “7812” regulator is mandatory/needed.

Try switch out the vca with each other and measure again. Unless you have some spares lying around.

I dont have signal after the 27k resistor, so, no audio geting into the main opamp stage.
Good. Would be a problem otherwise. The VCAs are current in/current out devices (NOT voltage in/voltage out).
You can measure/check your audio signal after the current to voltage back-conversion at the VCA following NE5532-pin 7 again.
Your "If i completely bypass (jump) the 27k resistor, i get output signal but it seems like bypass, no audio out of pin 8 of the 2180B, maybe they burned?" jumping of the 27k resistor might have killed the VCA ...

Good. Would be a problem otherwise. The VCAs are current in/current out devices (NOT voltage in/voltage out).
You can measure/check your audio signal after the current to voltage back-conversion at the VCA following NE5532-pin 7 again.
Your "If i completely bypass (jump) the 27k resistor, i get output signal but it seems like bypass, no audio out of pin 8 of the 2180B, maybe they burned?" jumping of the 27k resistor might have killed the VCA ...
They were not working before the bypass already. No input neither no output. if they are bad, they were bad already. I'm ordering a few more on mouser to give a try.

Hello,

I am integrating the Supersidechain with the relay in my build and I got the PCB from PCB Grinder. Does anybody know the pin spacing between the Ext-Off-60-etc. pins? RM2.5 or RM5mm?
I plan to get a connector. Any recommendation for this? I usually go for this guy, I am wondering what I could else use.
All the connectors that I used on the SSC board is called 2,54mm spacing. For the “off-60-etc” I bought a 12 pin connector and pulled out 7 pins. Ideally a 10-pin connector will be needed, and only 5 pins need to be pulled.

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi!
I want to make a Gssl, rev 12 (latest afaik). As I don't have experience with printing pcb's by myself I want to buy one kit that has the latest revision. Unfortunately I didn't find mentioned on all the sites which revision they sell, so who can point me to the right direction? I'm located in Romania, so Europe will be a nice starting point.
Sorry if this is not the right topic, I'm new around here, so take it easy on me! Cheers!

Hi does any one have contact for Pcb grinder please? I have ordered side chain bored on 4th feb sent numerous emails and received nothing back….

They have really taken the fun out of this project and the funny thing its going to the same country they are based..

disappointed not a way to treat customers.

Hi does any one have contact for Pcb grinder please? I have ordered side chain bored on 4th feb sent numerous emails and received nothing back….

They have really taken the fun out of this project and the funny thing its going to the same country they are based..

disappointed not a way to treat customers.

Did you notice the info on the website when ordering and try the contact listed?

https://www.pcbgrinder.com/ - [email protected]

I will ask him to check if mails are ending up in the spam folder, but I think he checks now and again already. If that e-mail is not working, try to reach me at [email protected], and Ill sort out a refund for you, no problem :)

Gustav

Guatav & Isak
Ordered card and emails sent feb 4th waited over month then followed up with more polite emails.

Followed all of the instructions on your web site regarding wait times.

Made me wait month and half with no contact only contact was when I wrote a message on the forum.

You have no regards or care for others time or money.

The tone of my email to your son was completely justified and I believe I went easy.

On top of that you want me to apologies for YOU not being able to conduct your own business in a timely and respectful manner.
I think designing a few cards has really got to your head. block my emails all you like do you think I really care if I had a better idea of your behaviour I would not waste time buying from you.
And from your last email I will find other people to discus principles. All I can say is at least I have some!

The tone of my email to your son was completely justified and I believe I went easy.

You were using a non-active e-mail for a while - it happens. The right one is on the page with the PCBs on the site, along with the information on how often Isak takes care of shipping. I pointed you towards that two replies back.

I do not believe you went easy on him, when you sent a mail. He was a little shocked, and refunded your order and closed the case after consulting with me. When an order is lost, he has been instructed to offer the choice between a refund or reshipping, but in this case, I felt it was best to spare him from having further dealings with you.

Following that, you then wrote me on the [email protected] mail, still wanting a PCB, and I told you, he would probably take a fresh order, if you sent him an apology for the way you had contacted him.

Instead of doing so, you sought further discussion of how you felt you were being mistreated, and I told you, you would have to look elsewhere for a discussion of your principles.

You state here you believe you were justified in doing so, and that you went easy, and that is your prerogative.

None of us want further dealings with you, so we will not be able to help you with the PCB, I consider the matter closed (you recieved a refund), and I do not belive this belongs in the GssL help thread (or even in airing a personal spat in public like this).

Gustav

Last edited:
Back