How old are you?? How many yrs of recording do you have?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24 here...started doing 4 tracking when i was about 16...

im really appreciative of all the "old timers" around here, ive learned so much so fast because of everyone who is willing to share knowledge. they're not old, they're just "experienced".

4 and 3 tenths decades. Some days if feels like 60, some like 20, wait, I'd say 30.

Been half ass playing guitar for a touch over 31 years. Been recording and messing with electronics for fun and semi professionally for about 27 years now.

My first memory of being interested in electronics was when I used an old portable cassette player as a distortion pedal. Ripped out the playback head...replaced with a 1/4" jack...plugged in my Explorer copy, and fed a Lab Series L5 with it. Best sound I ever got...until it died!  :D Very Randy Rhodes like. He was still alive. Must have been around '81. If I close me eyes, I can almost smell the Acapulco gold.  :eek:

Jeff 

Been recording since way before the first 4 track "Porta studio" came out in about 1980 !!!

First recordings were on a Teac 2 track when I was 10, used to play Genesis and yes tracks
at half speed to work out the notes !  ( loved those "Banks" / "Wakeman" solos )

MM.

MartyMart said:
Been recording since way before the first 4 track "Porta studio" came out in about 1980 !!!
Ha! I was gonna mention the Portastudio! I bought one around '82. Had loads of fun with it. Probably cause of what I mentioned in my other post.  :p

Jeff

jsteiger said:
My first memory of being interested in electronics was when I used an old portable cassette player as a distortion pedal. Ripped out the playback head...replaced with a 1/4" jack...

What ?!?!?  That's also my first guitardistortion ! Only I used a walkman for that purpose.  :D

40, started recording (and playing the bass) in ´83 on -you guessed it- a Porta 144. Pro rec since ´99. Soldering since I was about 10, ripping apart old tube radios etc I found in the dumpster... Those were the days! ;D

/Dave

MartyMart said:

First recordings were on a Teac 2 track when I was 10, used to play Genesis and yes tracks
at half speed to work out the notes !  ( loved those "Banks" / "Wakeman" solos )

MM.

My first recording ( 60s) was with an old mono RCA Reel to Reel.. But also being an under aged motor-head I recorded stuff like me driving past the mic on my (home made) mini bike.. Stuff off the radio, etc.

JR

Ha! I was gonna mention the Portastudio! I bought one around '82.

:)  Portastudio in '81 for me.   Upgraded from a Sony reel to reel (allowed twin track mono recording), a few cassette decks and a Reslo ribbon mic I'd had since '77.   Went from school to Uni in '82 where they had a Teac 80-8 and a Studiomaster desk so my mind was boggled with the possibilities! 

JohnRoberts said:
PRR said:
> how old everyone is

A year older than last week. (Now you know my Sign; but you may have guessed.)

> its crazy finding out that some of the dudes that you talk to are pretty darn old..

Don't trust anyone over 30.

That means I'm doubly  untrustworthy..  :p

JR

I'm with JR... 2X

got my first tape machine at 16 (1966) a sony TC350 3 head w/sound on sound.

GARY

37...always liked music and electronics.
Result: I became a producer of electronic music. Started at 18 years old...those days it was done with an Atari 1040 st & Akai S1000..man these Akai's did cost a fortune at the time...

Before that I played the guitar for 8 years and piano...still play rhodes today. I'm not very good though.
I really liked to mess around with those Boss guitar fx pedals. Basicly that's what triggered it....

I got into the whole thing cause in 1983 At the age of 16 I worked for a little electronics biz, that hand built Midas and DDA channels and BSS outboard! my DIY output was 10 x DPR402 Comps scratch built from parts per week or maybe 30-40 x Ar116 DI's. They had industry magazines with pictures of SSL's in also!! hehehe.

Now 41, been recording since the age of 20, first demo style 8 and 16 tracks in the late 80's, through to SSL's and Neve VR's with 2" in the 90's. Currently more hybrid style Tools/Console, but looking for a 2" machine :)

When I was in the college in mid 70s I used to copy LPs onto casette tapes. To maximise the recording level I used to have my eyes on the VU and hand on the record level potentiometer, trying to keep the record level at 0dB. Obviously it was not much of any use as,  as soon as I saw the signal going beyon 0dB I had already missed it. But some years later  when I came to know what a compressor/limiter was it was easier to understand.

28 this past april.  Picked up the guitar when I was 14.  Started interning when i was 16, when I wasn't taking out the trash and cleaning the toilets i was allowed to run transport for sessions.  When I was 19 I was hired as a tech director at the local college stayed there until I was 23.  From there I've been a freelance engineer mostly doing live recordings for TV, and the occasional whoring as tech support for a audio gear manufacturer(This is where DIY came into play) our repair technician taught me as much as he could, with his broken English, until he was no longer allowed back in the states(funny and sad all at the same time).  My wife just had our first child this past march, so right now I get to play Micheal Keaton and run sound on the weekends.

-Casey

I'm 29.  I started playing in bands when I was 13.  I started 4-tracking at 14.  Tracked at Idful in Chicago when I was 16, and that's when I started learning about recording.  I was 18 when I started recording other people.  Tracked a lot of bands and did some touring in my early to mid 20's.  I got back from a tour in when I was 25, and was offered an engineering position at a post production audio studio.  So I've been tracking mainly advertising and corporate projects for the last few years.  Shortly after setting up a home base at the studio, I started getting actual album credits and checks from labels for mix work.  At 28, I became the Chief Audio Engineer at the studio. 

As far as the tinkering, I've been fitting it into my life here and there since 2002 or 2003.  Been here since Ethan set up shop for us. 

MikoKensington said:
I'm 29.  I started playing in bands when I was 13. 

;D ;D

same here. been in and out bands since adam-

just started singing for one 2 months ago.

www.myspace.com/thevastdomain

Back