How would you go about getting a Neumann U47 ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the knowledge high quality raw material you will be able to do it just as good or better. The microphone bodies etc at the cheap end of DIY are often very resonant. The cheap capsules I've tried sound way off.
Can you recommend a way to deal with resonant bodies in a tube microphone? I recently received a U47 type body from Aliexpress and the body is quite resonant when I tap on it.

Last edited:
This article also mentions the possibility that the reason we like the VF14 could be its microphonics..

/Jakob E.
Wow
Page 92 in the PDF, 94 in the magazine with a boosted output stage 741.
I guess it was some old use it as a tool microphone back them

Last edited:
I purchased the V-47 from www.microphone-parts.com. I wouldn't recommend the build for anyone who's first attempt it is to build. There are some intricate steps involved. Steps where you could possibly connect two points where THEY CAN'T be connected without damage. Also attaching the capsule on top was fraught with discomfort and nervousness.

They results were absolutely fantastic. You can't even tell the difference between the real deal and the new U-47 I DIY'd. I also created the electrical flow diagram, and 3d modeled the circuit board in KiCAD down to the exact milimeter. This way I can make any alterations to the circuit and have it ordered and ready to be put into a new mic capsule.
I am both an Audio Engineer (#2nd best music school in my country), and an electrical engineer. I have also developed the ability to 'see' sound through synthesia.

I realized why one of the first available units to DIY is the U-47, so as to reward the DIY, with the best damn vocal mic out there.
I paid $1050 USD, for a $5500 microphone. What's missing? Some of the build quality (it won't take as many drops on the floor as an actual Neuman), no warranty, no return feature. If you mess it up, you messed it up.

Although I might add that I used a 1073 pre-amp and HIGH quality DAC/ADC from Mackie.

Attachments

• u-47.jpg
    u-47.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
Wow
Page 92 in the PDF, 92 in the magazine with a boosted output stage 741.
I guess it was some old use it as a tool microphone back them
Those guys preferred line level rather than the "hot" U47's 20mV output

I purchased the V-47 from www.microphone-parts.com. I wouldn't recommend the build for anyone who's first attempt it is to build. There are some intricate steps involved. Steps where you could possibly connect two points where THEY CAN'T be connected without damage. Also attaching the capsule on top was fraught with discomfort and nervousness.

They results were absolutely fantastic. You can't even tell the difference between the real deal and the new U-47 I DIY'd. I also created the electrical flow diagram, and 3d modeled the circuit board in KiCAD down to the exact milimeter. This way I can make any alterations to the circuit and have it ordered and ready to be put into a new mic capsule.
I am both an Audio Engineer (#2nd best music school in my country), and an electrical engineer. I have also developed the ability to 'see' sound through synthesia.

I realized why one of the first available units to DIY is the U-47, so as to reward the DIY, with the best damn vocal mic out there.
I paid $1050 USD, for a $5500 microphone. What's missing? Some of the build quality (it won't take as many drops on the floor as an actual Neuman), no warranty, no return feature. If you mess it up, you messed it up.

Although I might add that I used a 1073 pre-amp and HIGH quality DAC/ADC from Mackie.
Not sure if this is an example of a bot that were discussed here, but what will be the difference with buying a stock 47 recreation like warm audio or something similar on the economy side?

Latest posts

Back