I hate the new look of groupdiy.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the new look too.
Unfortunately the admin deletes any posts that criticize him.

I've been here for 7 years. I thought it was a 'community', but after posting I received a message as follows:
"If you find this site to be unusable, don't use it."
Friendly huh ?

I wonder if this post will get deleted too.

If you're going to quote, present the whole quote not just a partial quote.

In response to your comments about this site being unusable without offering any constructive thoughts, I responded:
The topic was deleted because you were starting a redundant new topic when there were existing topics with the same theme you could have posted in.  [I pm'd you to explain why and asked you to post in one of those existing topics] If you find this site to be unusable, don't use it.  If you have something constructive to offer, I'd be happy to consider it.

This all reminds me of a joke... but I won't go there.

I do not select web forums to frequent based on how they look, but the community and content. 

Thanks again Ethan...

JR

Why, when I click on the member name, do I get this thread, NOT that member's Profile?

IIRC, barclaycon has been a valued member for many years, but this new layout doesn't make it easy to check.

EDIT-- ah, if you click on the member's PICture you get the member's Profile.

But if a member has no picture....................

When I click on a member name I get a dropdown box to choose 'view profile' or 'send personal message'.
Maybe your browser doesn't support this.
Works on firefox and chrome.

> click on a member name I get a dropdown box

So do I, after I said that. Ethan may have fixed it.

I can't say I was too crazy about it at first.  There's this trend toward "Pale and minimal" I see everywhere.  The changes here for example mirror changes I have seen in say an itune player, gmail, facebook.

Things I dislike:  The quotes don't have distinct boundaries.  It feels too formless and washy.  I need old fashioned boundary markers - the clearer the better.

Alternate idea:  Use the quoted members icon in the reply with a cartoon speech bubble coming from it.  It's clear, direct and to the point and has some entertainment value.

Other thing:  The pale effect.  Way back in the beginning the blues were fairly deep and the boundaries and borders seemed richer.  The 2nd revision paled that out and this latest one pales things out even more.  It made me feel like I was getting something watered down, cheaper, less good.  It also made it difficult to read in general and though I don't use my phone for internet I have seen how it looks and the effect is even worse.

Alternate idea:  Customizable skins but I realize that may be very impractical or even impossible.

It is a general problem all over the web. Facebook and Gmail make these changes on a regular basis and it drives most everybody including myself temporarily crazy until our eyes adjust.  It's like going out to your car one day and suddenly finding the gas and brake pedals are now reversed, the windshield wiper lever blows the horn, the headlight button turns on the stereo etc . . . .  :eek: X 10 on a bad day.  I'm just curious of the reasons for the change.  Public demand or is new layout cheaper to maintain?

All that said I'm starting to get used to it.  The search functions have been buggy from time to time but I assume those will be ironed out eventually.

> Customizable skins but I realize that may be very impractical

Many forum softwares have selectable skins. See Attached. "Girlyman" is fun for a while.

Yes, 9 out of 10 skins suck, but it IS a useful function. If that has been lost, this is not Progress.

And you used to find that setting in PROFILE. And I *thought* my profile might be under "Hi [avatar] PRR". In fact it IS if you just click. But right-click to "Open in new tab" actually gives me THIS thread. WTF? Why would the thread I am on be linked from the only thing with my name on it?

Attachments

• ForumThemes.gif
    ForumThemes.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 25
PRR said:
> Customizable skins but I realize that may be very impractical

Many forum softwares have selectable skins. See Attached. "Girlyman" is fun for a while.

Yes, 9 out of 10 skins suck, but it IS a useful function. If that has been lost, this is not Progress.

And you used to find that setting in PROFILE. And I *thought* my profile might be under "Hi [avatar] PRR". In fact it IS if you just click. But right-click to "Open in new tab" actually gives me THIS thread. WTF? Why would the thread I am on be linked from the only thing with my name on it?

Simply a missing href. Nothing weird about it - can be easily fixed ;)
Btw you can still access your Profile by clicking the dropdown-toggle and selecting "profile"

We just had a whole month of Mercury in retrograde for whatever that may be worth.

Is it beta testing on the white market and why there ? but the soft colored background does help
the beige & light blue, however  the contrast caused by the stripes of alternating color background
between posts still adds a harsh quality from the stark white. The blue is more comfortable to me,
which seems to indicate that the old gray was not so bad.
If all things must change maybe this is fitting with the shift from the free knowledge & grp buys to
a place which produces small businesses and uses this to support them .

Latest posts

Back