LA2A finished and sounding fine. HaLA2Aluya brothers!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

Its been a long time since I finished anything, actually this is my second LA2A and although it took longer in time span it actually was shorter in build time.
I was more confident and kept my wire length shorter than first build.

No problems whatsoever with this one. Worked from first turn on. I'm really happy.

I used UTC A10 and A24, 12AY7 for V1 and 100K for R9 and R13 as per CJ. All my PS caps were 40uf.
I did not use variable caps for C4 and C14 but rather fixed ones.

If I were to change anything it would be to put the Limiter response pot in the front panel. I'd also eliminate the stereo pot section. XFRs are OK but if I build anymore I will use Jensen, Cinemag or Sowter on input at least.

I think the controls are straight forward enough to not need any identification. I like it as is.

Thanks to CJ and Cayocosta.

jim

LA2A_Front.jpg

LA2A_Inside.jpg

LA2A_.jpg

3nity - Thanks for the compliment. You'll have to come over and try it one day.

Nele - Its aluminum. No noise whatsoever! I admit I was scared both times I built this that there would be noise. My first had "motorboating" that was fixed by tucking a wire under one of the caps in the turret board.

My second one is noiseless as is. My wiring was tighter and cleaner.

jim

About 2 pints of blood, a quart of sweat.

I don't have an exact figure but its about $500 to $700. Does it matter?

Sorry but I get a bit uncomfortable as cost varies for all these projects.

You want one? take a risk. Buy parts a bit at a time.

jim

Lookin' great! I love the crusty old meter, and I wouldn't polish it up if I were you. That Sprague ATOM output cap is huge, did you sleeve the leads on that thing?

Doug - I bought a bunch of 3RU from Tungstengruvsten a long time ago. They had not front or back panels.

Patrick - I love those meters as well! you can't take your eyes from them when they are lit! The cap is huge I know. A bit clumsy to put on and I saved it for the last part to go on. I did use insulation on my first LA2A but on this one I felt more confident and left it naked. Its soldered on very well and won't budge.

I have to also say that there is a romantic quality to all this P2P wiring and using old VU meters. I wonder what audio has gone through that meter?

The great thing is that I actually used my LA2A and now I have 2 to use.

I may customize it later on and bring the limiter adjust pot to the front. On my first one I have it on full blast but on this one I actually reached back and played around with it. I liked a few settings as I was turning. My advise to anyone building one is to put it on the front.

jim

[quote author="MartyMart"]Great, very much the "old nuclear power station" look :)
I like that a LOT !
Marty.[/quote]

'was wondering why the meter was glowing in the dark!

jim

:grin:

Thanks AnalogPackrat, its all I had at the time. Actually these are made by Schroff as I found out recently. They have a hinged front panel option I also found out.

jim

Is that Allied power transformer quiet ?

those are considerably cheaper than a Hammond 369JX, don't know why there is a big gap in the price, makes me curious.

maxwall - Yes its the Allied. Its probably made by Hammond for them. No noise whatsoever. But again in the LA2A the power XFR is pretty far from the I/O XFRs and connectors.

jim

Nice job Jim. :thumb: :thumb: It must feel great to have two done and matched up. Are those the tent sale T4B's? Looking at yours makes me wish I had used a larger layout for mine. BTW I used the allied transformers for mine and have not noted any issues with noise, hum or power output. I'm going to post my first one on this forum as I just got it working.. It's twin is still in labor!

:thumb:

gb

[quote author="maxwall"]Is that Allied power transformer quiet ?

those are considerably cheaper than a Hammond 369JX, don't know why there is a big gap in the price, makes me curious.[/quote]

The Allied has no split/dual primary, so it's 110/120V only, the Hammond has 100/110/120/200/210/220/230/240 as primary voltage options. It's also rated VERY slightly higher in terms of VA, but if you're building a US-Only LA-2a, the Allied is the less-expensive option, of that there is NO doubt!

They're perfectly quiet, both mechanically and -in the completed unit- electrically. I also believe that they're manufactured by Hammond to the same standard as the 369JX, but made as a volume batch using a slightly shorter body, and with only 110V/120V primary windings,

they were the standard power transformer for the BLOO LA-2a's, and the Hammonds were supplied only for those kits going overseas, at extra charge IIRC. The quality is the same for both.

Keith

Thanks gb. yes it feels really good, especially when nothing goes wrong and it works from the get go. My first one had motorboating and I panicked. But once I moved 1 wire it all went away. I made sure my second one had shorter wire paths. It paid off.

I still love P2P, I guess I'm a romantic at heart

Yes the T4B was from the tent sale! Please post your picts of your build!

jim

Back