Lang PEQ-2A clone...RESURRECTED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know CJ did a teardown of the output TX (38166) a while back;

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36225.msg446083#msg446083

Input TX could be replicated by winding two sets of the 600Ω secondary windings on the 38166.

Sent an email to David Kulka tonight. I thought if anyone might have a Freed 38165 it might be him, and if not, he might know of someone to point me to. If I come up with something I'd be more than happy to purchase one and forward to CJ, Dan, or whomever is the last step to getting the input transformer specs nailed down.

I'll report back with any findings.

Lee_M said:
Come to think of it, I could possibly look into putting together some of the other parts of this unit.

2) We stick with the original aesthetics and house the filter components in big cuboid cans, mounted on the rear of the unit.  Something like this .

Lee, do you know much about Chris from Vintage Windings? I only came across his page last night accidentally and then realized you had linked to it previously. He has a Lang PEQ-2 manual hosted on his page—I found it when searching Google for Freed 38165s—but when I look through his website I can't find any reference to it.

Anyway, the reason I ask is, if you've talked to him before, do you mind asking if he has any more information on the Freed component in question?

In other news, Kulka responded by saying he doesn't have the transformer and doesn't know anyone else that would. I'll continue my search.

groselicain said:
Lee, do you know much about Chris from Vintage Windings? I only came across his page last night accidentally and then realized you had linked to it previously.

I'm afraid I don't know him, I'm just somewhat familiar with his website.

I've always been intrigued by those Pultec filter cans that he sells, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy one, particularly once shipping to the UK + customs charges factor into the cost.

It's possibly worth speaking to him about doing some similar canned filter boxes for the Lang PEQ2, he seems to have all of the parts that someone would need to make them. We'd need slightly different inductance values and taps to the Pultec inductors, but the cores he uses are probably a good choice
groselicain said:
Lee, do you know much about Chris from Vintage Windings? I only came across his page last night accidentally and then realized you had linked to it previously. He has a Lang PEQ-2 manual hosted on his page—I found it when searching Google for Freed 38165s—but when I look through his website I can't find any reference to it.

Anyway, the reason I ask is, if you've talked to him before, do you mind asking if he has any more information on the Freed component in question?

In other news, Kulka responded by saying he doesn't have the transformer and doesn't know anyone else that would. I'll continue my search.
for the PEQ2 inductors. 

groselicain said:
He has a Lang PEQ-2 manual hosted on his page—I found it when searching Google for Freed 38165s—but when I look through his website I can't find any reference to it.

Yeah, I'd noticed that too. I looked all throughout that copy of the pdf manual, but I can't seem to find the words "Freed 38165" anywhere in the actual document. Strange.

I found a copy elsewhere that does have some information on the transformers, but it's nothing we haven't seen before.

http://thehistoryofrecording.com/Manuals/LANG/Lang_Electronics_PEQ-2_instruction_manual.pdf

If you look at page 22, you can see that the primary of the 38165 is the same arrangement (150ΩCT + 150Ω) as the secondary of the 38166, while the secondary of the 38165 is a single 600Ω winding. I'd put money on them being very similar transformers.

I also found a Freed catalogue, the 381xx part numbers we're looking for don't appear to be "off the shelf" parts, they don't seem to fit in with any of Freed's "standard" naming conventions.

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Electronics_Catalog_Extracts/Freed_Transformer_Company_1960_REM_24.pdf

Of course, Freed could have changed their naming conventions at some point after 1960, the schematic on the final page of that PEQ2 manual is dated "1969".

groselicain said:

Yeah, I had a feeling that might be a bit of a longshot. The PEQ2 units seem to be fairly rare in themselves, assuming that the i/o transformers are custom jobs, I can't see us stumbling upon a "spare" 38165 any time soon.

Latest posts

Back