Mastering monitor console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ppa said:
but does maselec use first order filter?

I would assume so but I don't know as I've never used one. He doesn't publish schematics. He would probably answer that question though. If you want to make one I'd go with single order. That's what everyone is used to. Probably the best combination of transparency and effectiveness at preventing excessive vertical modulation

The EE that was in a Neve mastering console I think had a fixed frequency crossover with choice of two slopes. My memory could be faulty. I've never seen one of those EE's in current use. I threw one away myself.

Gold said:
ppa said:
but does maselec use first order filter?

I would assume so but I don't know as I've never used one. He doesn't publish schematics. He would probably answer that question though. If you want to make one I'd go with single order. That's what everyone is used to. Probably the best combination of transparency and effectiveness at preventing excessive vertical modulation

The EE that was in a Neve mastering console I think had a fixed frequency crossover with choice of two slopes. My memory could be faulty. I've never seen one of those EE's in current use. I threw one away myself.

many thanks

Gold said:
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/topic/19405751/Shaker-Desk#.Vr7O74Qvu9Y

This is incredible....!
I've been trying to piece together a console from old broadcast console bits and microcontrollers, can I have this instead?

voitto said:
This is incredible....!
I've been trying to piece together a console from old broadcast console bits and microcontrollers, can I have this instead?

Sure, all it takes is a ton of time and money.

moamps said:
Unbalanced?

Yes, as per request.

moamps said:
How did you menage "pin 1 problem"  :) ?

Only interfacing to transformer-balanced and GML8200 (which is unbalaned).

moamps said:
What type of switches are used? Seiden?

Yes I think so,  56-series iirc

Again, this is not my idea of "the best of all worlds" design - just an example of a client request.

I would probably have preferred to go with relays, balanced, and with MUCH cheaper switches/wires/connectors..

Jakob E.

I'm interested what you use for your power supplies on your Shaker Desk Could you share that Gold?

Zander

Zander said:
I'm interested what you use for your power supplies on your Shaker Desk Could you share that Gold?

I used Power One open frame linear supplies. There are two PSU units. Each PSU unit has four 3A bipolar 15vdc supplies. Two for Modulation and two for Preview. One of the PSU units has two bipolar 24vdc supplies. Each PSU has +12vdc and one of the two units has +5vdc. 

Apologies if this is straying from the original topic -
Paul -
I recently purchased a few of the Kirkwood MS boards , my plan was just to insert an adjustable high pass to the difference channel, and make up the low end later on in the chain if required, do you think there will be issues with this approach?

voitto said:
I recently purchased a few of the Kirkwood MS boards , my plan was just to insert an adjustable high pass to the difference channel, and make up the low end later on in the chain if required, do you think there will be issues with this approach?

That will work but i would suggest using his Widener board for this.  It is a more elegant solution. It is based on the crossover section of the Neumann VAB vertical amplitude limiter.

That board is a real sleeper. I kind of missed it when he designed it because it is similar to M/S. The possibilities that board open up are very different than the M/S board. I will be putting in some time to expand the capabilities of the widener. I expect it to be a very unique processor.

Gold said:
I used Power One open frame linear supplies. There are two PSU units. Each PSU unit has four 3A bipolar 15vdc supplies. Two for Modulation and two for Preview. One of the PSU units has two bipolar 24vdc supplies. Each PSU has +12vdc and one of the two units has +5vdc.
Do you remember the model numbers?

When I bought them I think they were branded they were Power One. I got them from Mouser and the SL Power/Condor looks like what I got. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Condor-SL-Power/HCC15-3-A+G/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtl%252b%2ft8G5TWgLdn80A3nEGy%252biSwgOOGC%2fA%3d

Back