• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Mogami W2944, Belden 8451 or 9451

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andow

I am testing different cables for use in patchbays, studio- and internal wiring. Possible options would be Mogami W2944 and Belden 8451 or 9451, but I would like to try it before buying a roll.

Is anybody here using one of these cables and could send me a few meters to check and compare (preferably in Europe)?

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a big spool of W2944 and probably also some Belden 8451. Let me know if you need something.
Best,
Markus

Hi,
I have a big spool of W2944 and probably also some Belden 8451. Let me know if you need something.
Best,
Markus
I have use tons of all 3 over the years

I would use the W2944. Great Great cable not near as stiff as 9451/8451 and is smaller in diameter.
Redco handles the stuff in 10 colors at a very good price.

https://proxy.imagearchive.com/cd5/cd5f92917a41b9b8242f1804fb5b54d9.jpghttps://proxy.imagearchive.com/fe0/fe0149368a6d1faeff485ee2ca65d745.jpg
All W2944

If you must use Belden, use the 9451 version. Same cable as the 8451 but the outer jacket
strips off much easer.

Gary

Last edited:
I have use tons of all 3 over the years

I would use the W2944. Great Great cable not near as stiff as 9451/8451 and is smaller in diameter.
Redco handles the stuff in 10 colors at a very good price.

If you must use Belden, use the 9451 version. Same cable as the 8451 but the outer jacket
strips off much easer.

Gary
Thank you for your input, Gary!

Yes, I would use 9451 because of the reason you mentioned. I was just thinking if I can only get 8451 I could still test it since these are very similar....

I really like that the W2944 is so thin and flexible. But I think I would prefer a foil shield bonded to the isolation because it makes stipping way easier and faster. Plus, it's only 0,15mm² instead of the 0,33mm² the Belden has.

Have you tried Grimm Audio TPR?
With sales pitches like "The rock solid stereo image was so impressive that everybody was stunned and I couldn’t stop smiling", I suggest nobody gives them any money ever.

Have you tried Grimm Audio TPR?

Cheers
Thank you for you input too. I just googled this and the website immediately turns me off: “The rock solid stereo image was so impressive that everybody was stunned and I couldn’t stop smiling”.
But apart from that it's too thick to be used in installations and it costs 8€/m.

With sales pitches like "The rock solid stereo image was so impressive that everybody was stunned and I couldn’t stop smiling", I suggest nobody gives them any money ever.
Ugh. Grimm is interesting construction, more like coax with additional padding/insulation that probably does help cable microphonic effects....if that's needed. I wouldn't want to prep a lot of it. I got some to check out for ribbon mic runs, can I tell a difference? Not really. It's a serious pain in the ass to coil, it'll kink if you look at it funny.

I use a lot of Mogami W2944

Last edited:
I have a lot of 9451, and have used 8451 a lot over the years. I'd say 9451 is a bit stiffer than 8451, but I prefer 9451 'cause I don't have to mess with foil when stripping. It's just more convenient.

I'm very pragmatic when it comes to cabling, especially for patchbays where you have to strip and solder a LOT of cables. If it takes me a minute to strip and prepare a cable it's not an option, no matter how "rock solid the stereo image" is.

I've been using a lot of Sommer SC Isopod and really like it: very easy to work with plus it's cheap. But it's just a tad too stiff and the isolation melts pretty easy. That's the reason I'm searching for an alternative.

So, still searching for somebody who could send me a few meters of the mentioned options (not for free of course!).

Have you tried MTI cable?
They are in Germany and produce high quality cable aimed at broadcast. No snake oil bullshit. And not expensive.

Edit: just saw that their smallest cable is 3.7mm... so maybe to big for your needs?

Last edited:
Gepco 61801EZ is cheap but it's a bit stiff, but it strips easily, but the inner conductor insulator melts quickly, but it's cheap. And the foil always comes off with the initial strip of the outer sleeve, leaving you only the drain wire and two conductors.

Have you tried MTI cable?
They are in Germany and produce high quality cable aimed at broadcast. No snake oil bullshit. And not expensive.

Edit: just saw that their smallest cable is 3.7mm... so maybe to big for your needs?
The one I used (Sommer Isopod) is 3,3mm in diameter, I don't want to go much thicker. But I'll check it out, thanks!

Gepco 61801EZ is cheap but it's a bit stiff, but it strips easily, but the inner conductor insulator melts quickly, but it's cheap. And the foil always comes off with the initial strip of the outer sleeve, leaving you only the drain wire and two conductors.

That sounds exactly like the Sommer Cable I'm currently using....

Latest posts

Back