Neve 1073 clone PDF's uploaded

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Moby"]BTW, i like your pcb artwork, just curious about pads distances. Looks too close on the side for switch board. Did you made some revision, or i'm missing something :?:[/quote]

Hi,

No, the PCB's I uploaded are the ones I used. You have to be careful when soldering but they worked fine with the right-angled connectors. Are you using acrobat to read the PDF's?

Or did you mean the pitch for the pads looks different between the two boards?? I'm pretty sure it's the same...

Chris

I tried in Acrobat and illustrator. I'm talking about pad distance, looks fckn too close, about 0.176mm :? Maybe i have some errors in mac osx :?:
switchboard9pv.gif

so do you think it was worth the money to make it your self. i mean you spent a lot of money on it. no doubt it sounds amazing, but couldn't you have bought it for cheaper to save time?

[quote author="versuviusx"]so do you think it was worth the money to make it your self. i mean you spent a lot of money on it. no doubt it sounds amazing, but couldn't you have bought it for cheaper to save time?[/quote]

Hi,

Well i'm not sure how much 1073's go for where you're from but they go for about AU$10K/pair here, if you can find them. Vintage King are currently selling a pair of 1073's racked for US$7695.

So you really need to decide how much you want one. I haven't seen one advertised here for a very long time.

ALSO I kinda forgot to mention this, it's actually more like a 1084 than a 1073 as the HF is switchable (on a 1073 it's fixed). People rave about 1073's but I think the pick of the discrete Neve's are 1084's.

Chris

Does anyone have a source for the inductors without having to make your own? I thought that there were way to many windings to practically do it yourself. Plus I wouldn't want to wind my own anyway (time) and after I heard the difference between my own homemade pultech inductors and the Sowter's. The Sowter's were smoother sounding less distortion I think because of the mu-metal.

[quote author="Moby"]I tried in Acrobat and illustrator. I'm talking about pad distance, looks fckn too close, about 0.176mm...
<snip>[/quote]

Hi,

They may look close but they work with the right angled PCB connector I used. PDF's are pretty good at reproducing accurate size, so if that's what's on the PDF, then I'd say it's right.

[quote author="rich"]Does anyone have a source for the inductors without having to make your own? I thought that there were way to many windings to practically do it yourself.[/quote]

Tell me about it! The biggest inductor has something like 1200 turns. It took hours in front of the tele with a counter.

Anyway, when I made it there weren't any around, and I remember posting the question on John Klett's forum. With all this renewed interest in Neve channel amps, I would say you could get them from a variety of transformer manufacturers nowadays. Also Sowter will wind them if you give them the specs.

Cheers

Chris

[quote author="Moby"]
I'd say it's right
Cool, i just wanted to check with you, anyway, it's half hour job to fix for some other type of connector. :thumb:[/quote]

Hi,

Let me know if it does require fixing, I'll change the originals.

As I said, I'm pretty sure the pad spacing is OK as it's the PDF I used to make the board.

Cheers

Chris

I'm almost sure that pad distance can be problem for pcb makin'. I always use min 12mills between, hey, we are not in smd digital world to but preamp in matchbox. We like to BE BIG :wink: Joke, of course, but why not to have nice place for soldering :green:

[quote author="Moby"]I'm almost sure that pad distance can be problem for pcb makin'. I always use min 12mills between, hey, we are not in smd digital world to but preamp in matchbox. We like to BE BIG :wink: Joke, of course, but why not to have nice place for soldering :green:[/quote]

Hi,

I think it was all about shoehorning everything into a 2U case, including power supply, 4 transformers and two big gain switches. I had a lot of trouble fitting the switchboard and the main PCB together as it was very tight (vertically) for space.

I don't recall having any trouble soldering the connectors to the board though, just use a very fine-tipped soldering iron.

I have some spare marinair input/output trannies lying around so i'm now seriously thinking about making another pair. Is anyone else actually thinking about making this thing??

Cheers

Chris

I'm thinking to make only the pre at the moment (I'll make the eq in the future); how do you connect the Vu meter ?? :shock:
I want to use Carnhill transformer but i have no response to my mail from Carnhill,Vintech,Phoenix Audio etc. etc.... :evil: :evil:
Where I can get this transformer ??? :cry: :cry:
Thanks !!

[quote author="giobinein"]how do you connect the Vu meter ??[/quote]

Hi,

I just strap it over the outputs with the appropriate resistor.

You could try using a buffer amp but I'm pretty sure that's how it was done on the consoles.

Cheers

Chris

A range of Carnhill's inductors and transformers will soon be available via our on-line store.

Initially, the following types will be available (Expected availability from stock is approximately 2 weeks from now).

VTB1148 - £17.07 ea (Line Out - same as VTB9049 but narrow board)
VTB9045 - £37.22 ea (Mic In)
VTB9046 - £41.90 ea (Line In)
VTB9048 - £11.87 ea (Inductor)
VTB9047 - £11.87 ea (Inductor)
VTB9049 - £17.07 ea (Line Out)

VT31284 - £29.22 ea (Mains Transformer: 110-0-110 (Pri); 20.95v-0-20.95v @0.27A + 50v @ 0.023A (Sec) Toroid 1U)
[This is intended for use as a mains transformer for 1U mic amps].

Prices exclude freight and VAT [if applicable].

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hello,

I start the 1073 clone using online PDF. On prodigy forum you said (in 2005)

"There are one or two minor errors, if anyone actually makes this and can't figure them out I will help you. It is a couple of traces and a couple of jumpers that need fixing".

I've just downloaded the pdf from your website. Are the minor error fixed with online PDF ?

Regards
Ephrem

Carnhill transformers are now available from the on-line store;

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/Transformers_and_Inductors.html

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Latest posts

Back