Neve 1073 clone PDF's uploaded

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin - I don't see the inductors needed for a 1073 though. I thought there were 3 required? Did I miss something?

The 2 inductors are labeled mic level?

thanks

jim

Chris are you still checking this thread?

I had some questions.

One was why there was the extra switch for the HF but I read that you added it as in a 1084.

But there is an extra pole wired on one of the switches and it doesn't show on the Neve drawing.

Thanks

jim

Hey Bluzzi.
Any updates on your 1073? I'm already finished building one channel but there are some minor differences between the stuffed/unstuffed layouts Chris posted. Is Chris still around here?

I'm still here!

Funny, I started off building gear but have since had to buy most of the stuff I use (DIY doesn't always impress...)

But, the ONLY thing I use on every session is that 1073 clone.

I'm about to take it out and redo the power supply, so if anyone has any questions now is a good time.

Cheers

Chris

[quote author="Linear"]
... so if anyone has any questions now is a good time.

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris.
Good to see you're still around here.

You mentioned one or two minor errors in your layout.
I found out that there are differences between the files "main board" and "main board stuffed". I think its around pin P of the BA283 amp. In the "unstuffed" layout there are more tracks around that area that i couldn't identify in the original schematic. There is an additional solder track named EQ and some other "empty holes" near that 51K resistor and the 22/16V cap. Perhaps you could upload a new closeup pic of the main board. That would be very helpful.

Benjamin

I mean that I run a commercial studio now, and many producers and engineers that come in aren't all that impressed (rightly or wrongly) with DIY stuff.

Hence the fact that now I've had to buy mercury pultecs, a massive passive, 1178's etc.

But make no mistake, DIY is really great for learning how to fix gear and appreciating and understanding what goes into a great piece of gear.

SO, yes I will have a look and try and make a piccie of the PCB. I'm sorry that I can't remember specifically what the errors were, it was a long time ago.

Cheers

Chris

[quote author="SIXTYNINER"]hey
someone know
if the lorlin rotary switches for x73
have to be shorting or not shorting?
thanks
6tnr[/quote]

You can use what ever you like in a 1073 for the EQ, shorting!
Even Lorlin will work and as there's no DC feeded through them I think they will last!
two of 2x6 (three if you want HF switching also) and one of 1x12
Tekay.

First page of this thread...

[quote author="Linear"]I mean that I run a commercial studio now, and many producers and engineers that come in aren't all that impressed (rightly or wrongly) with DIY stuff[/quote]
strange world - a mate wants to have a lot of custom made gear because his customers want to use gear nobody else have (he offers his room for mixing).

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="Linear"]I mean that I run a commercial studio now, and many producers and engineers that come in aren't all that impressed (rightly or wrongly) with DIY stuff[/quote]
strange world - a mate wants to have a lot of custom made gear because his customers want to use gear nobody else have (he offers his room for mixing).[/quote]
The Pro audio world can be so conservative that it is totally rediculous. Not only about DIY stuff, I remember when I was assistant more than 15 years ago and I dared to take the first V76 into the control room people laughed about that old junk. It took me a while to vercome this, but I'll never forget when I compared an old V41 to the praised SSL... Some years later they started to come to me to ask for tips where to buy them cheap...
About DIY stuff I believe that a cool housing and some misterious explanation might help to raise it's reputation. People hear much more what they see and believe than what their ears actually receive ;-)
Or just skip the talking and once they like the sound you can still explain what you used and how special it is.
Anyway, my mnats 1176 sounds better than any 1178 I've come across in 'big studios'.

Michael

Linear said:
... SO, yes I will have a look and try and make a piccie of the PCB. I'm sorry that I can't remember specifically what the errors were, it was a long time ago.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris,

did you already pull our your 1073 for some photoshootin'?

Cheers,

Benjamin

Benny said:
Linear said:
... SO, yes I will have a look and try and make a piccie of the PCB. I'm sorry that I can't remember specifically what the errors were, it was a long time ago.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris,

Cheers,

Benjamin

Bumping this, as I'm starting on a quartet of 1073's.  Interested in what those couple fixes may have been before making my copper-plated sacrifice to the etching gods.  ;D

-Bob

Hmm, did some album sessions at "PUK" studio's in Denmark in the main room and patched in
a load of keyboards and modules.
First run was into E series ( IIRC ) inputs in the HUGE SSL desk .... sounded like total poo
no bottom end and almost "out of phase" sounding.
Moved them up to "J" series inputs and the difference was night and day.

Not all commercial ... or even expensive and successful commercial stuff is great !!

Long live DIY !

MM.

stickjam said:
Benny said:
Linear said:

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris,

Cheers,

Benjamin

Bumping this, as I'm starting on a quartet of 1073's.  Interested in what those couple fixes may have been before making my copper-plated sacrifice to the etching gods.  ;D

-Bob

Ever figure this out?

Latest posts

Back