Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured as much!! Thanks guys.  It kind of goes to show you have to be careful what you read.  I came across a couple of posts saying that using anything but a c12 type capsule was a waste of this circuit and it kind of scared me.  anyway, back to the music.

Denny

Hi,
on monday my Beesneez CK12 capsule arrived.
Yesterday a friend , I lend the C12 microphone with a mic&mod c12 capsule, bring the mic back and we change the capsule.

My first impression with the Beesneez capsule.
More body, no hipped highs and very natural. ;D
The feedback from my friend which use the microphone for his next production.
It is sounding superb. :)
I use a Beyer 1:10 transformer instead of the cinemag or AMI.
In my opinion the Beyer is more linear. But this can be subjective.

I post the recording, when I have it.

I think it is not the last BeesNeez I ordered.
I hope also, Tim give me the chance to get two of his capsules to compare.

Cheers

Andreas

Good to hear about the Beez Neez. Is it a night and day difference from the Mic&Mod capsule? I have the Chunger/Matador kit with the M&M C12 capsule and was looking into the Beez Neez CK12 as an upgrade. Just wondering if its worth the money for the change? Its 450$ + taxes. I could almost get a second C12 kit for that kind of money :)

Hi Mica,

it was a night and day difference.
But there also was a difference when I change from the original capsule to the M&M.
The Beesneez is more 3 D and natural. The M&M was more harsch, but better then original chinese capsules.
The M&M is not a bad capsule, but you hear the difference to a very good capsule.
Yes, IMHO every cent is a good investment for this change. And yes it is not cheap. But I love it. :)
When Chunger got the next delivery, I will test both in the studio.
I'll wait for the Matadors universal PSU before ordering.

...I haven't used the Beesneez CK12, so I'll refrain from commenting on it, but you might consider that many people have paid around $1900 for a Telefunken AR51, and are pretty happy with it (even at that pricepoint)...wanna know where the AR51's edge-terminated capsule originates from?...

http://www.nbmic.com/products_view.asp?id=662

...look familiar?...

...other than the color of the tape used around the rim of the capsule (microphone-parts.com also has the black tape like Tele, btw), same source for MandM...

...I can tell you that I've compared Chunger's 6-micron mylar, edge-terminated C12-style capsule with the TongXin version linked above (which uses thinner mylar), and I prefer Chunger's source version...the slightly thicker mylar produces a smoother response, particularly on the top end...someone may be able to confirm, but I believe Ben also uses 6-micron mylar on his CK12 capsule...

http://store.studio939.com/product/35mm-k67-style-capsule

Attachments

• TFunk_NewTK51D_capsule_web.jpg
    TFunk_NewTK51D_capsule_web.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 55
..I haven't used the Beesneez CK12, so I'll refrain from commenting on it, but you might consider that many people have paid around $1900 for a Telefunken AR51, and are pretty happy with it (even at that pricepoint)...wanna know where the AR51's edge-terminated capsule originates from?...

http://www.nbmic.com/products_view.asp?id=662

...look familiar?...

...other than the color of the tape used around the rim of the capsule (microphone-parts.com also has the black tape like Tele, btw), same source for MandM...

...I can tell you that I've compared Chunger's 6-micron mylar, edge-terminated C12-style capsule with the TongXin version linked above (which uses thinner mylar), and I prefer Chunger's source version...the slightly thicker mylar produces a smoother response, particularly on the top end...someone may be able to confirm, but I believe Ben also uses 6-micron mylar on his CK12 capsule...

http://store.studio939.com/product/35mm-k67-style-capsule

I can confirm that the back plates of all those capsules are the same although they may or may not have different thickness isolation  spacers which could also account for a difference sound.

True CK12 Types capsules are a different animal all together with complex diffusior back plates giving "IMHO" a more natural sound. To me the True CK12 or clones capsules capture like a ribbon mic but with a much wider frequency response and all the transparency and benefits of being able to take eq very well!

And just a heads up

Ben tested my capsule, and indeed it was defective. Touching backplanes apparently. He is sending me another one.

I am tented to upload some sound samples of the tests to show what it sounds like when this happens. But I will have to edit out the swearing :p

Well, that's good.  At least you have a root cause.

In terms of the resonance:  I need to do a sweep on my builds, but I don't think there should be any sonic difference since the response peak is so far above the audible range.  Up to 15kHz it looks flat.

I think you can damp the resonance if you increase the plate cap value up past ELA M251's default 100pF value.  I've gone as high as 470pF without much sonic difference, as at 100pF the step down happens in the 15-20kHz range, and moving up to 470pF pushes this down to the 10 kHz range.  1000pF will move this down to around 7 kHz, and will make a C12 sound more and more U47-like.

Also, all of the above is for the stock 6072A implementation:  when moving to a medium-mu tube like the 12AT7 all of the above values change because the output impedance of the tube stage is so much lower.

kidvybes said:
...look familiar?...

I'm wondering if anyone (perhaps like Flea?) is buying the raw brass from Ningbo and doing the spacer/skinning work themselves.

I have a few of Chunger's edge-terminated capsules, and the brasswork is stellar (at least to my untrained eyes):  I've looked at it under a microscope and the facing/tooling marks/tolerances look to be very high quality.  I can imagine that one could produce a very high quality capsule by using the brass from China and doing all of the magical assembly sauce in-house.  In fact, if memory serves, this is exactly what Peluso does, but nobody quote me on that. :) 

Matador said:
Well, that's good.  At least you have a root cause.

In terms of the resonance:  I need to do a sweep on my builds, but I don't think there should be any sonic difference since the response peak is so far above the audible range.  Up to 15kHz it looks flat.

I think you can damp the resonance if you increase the plate cap value up past ELA M251's default 100pF value.  I've gone as high as 470pF without much sonic difference, as at 100pF the step down happens in the 15-20kHz range, and moving up to 470pF pushes this down to the 10 kHz range.  1000pF will move this down to around 7 kHz, and will make a C12 sound more and more U47-like.

Well, at least in simulation the plate capacitor does not actually help, you get dampening true but the resonating peak is still there... more visibly so. I tend to believe it is a particular characteristic  of AMI T14 realization which requires a bit of load adaptation.... What does work is a zobel network on the secondary of about 400n in series with 150 ohm (approx), but as we are not dogs I think we can live with a 3dB boot at 75Khz... as you well said.

Matador said:
kidvybes said:
...look familiar?...

I'm wondering if anyone (perhaps like Flea?) is buying the raw brass from Ningbo and doing the spacer/skinning work themselves.

I have a few of Chunger's edge-terminated capsules, and the brasswork is stellar (at least to my untrained eyes):  I've looked at it under a microscope and the facing/tooling marks/tolerances look to be very high quality.  I can imagine that one could produce a very high quality capsule by using the brass from China and doing all of the magical assembly sauce in-house.  In fact, if memory serves, this is exactly what Peluso does, but nobody quote me on that. :)

...I think your assumption is quite accurate...I believe the metalwork is definately being utilized by others for custom skinning...when assembled and skinned under tighter QC standards, these capsules can be quite good, albeit not historically accurate...I know of a case where Thiersch refused to re-skin the 32mm Chinese brass K47-style (as used by Advanced Audio) but approved the 34mm Chinese white-plastic K47-style (as sold by microphone-parts.com) for reskinning in his lab...I believe Peluso also utilizes both Chinese K47-versions, as well as the metalwork found in both Chunger's K67 and C12 capsules...

dmnieto said:
Well, at least in simulation the plate capacitor does not actually help, you get dampening true but the resonating peak is still there... more visibly so. I tend to believe it is a particular characteristic  of AMI T14 realization which requires a bit of load adaptation.... What does work is a zobel network on the secondary of about 400n in series with 150 ohm (approx), but as we are not dogs I think we can live with a 3dB boot at 75Khz... as you well said.

I think a 600 ohm directly across the secondary would also work.  I'm wondering if plugging in to high(ish) impedance interfaces also changes the response.

Did you check the transient response before and after adding the Zobel?

Matador said:
I think a 600 ohm directly across the secondary would also work.  I'm wondering if plugging in to high(ish) impedance interfaces also changes the response.

Did you check the transient response before and after adding the Zobel?

Transient response was good actually, a bit of ringing but nothing brutal.

The load does not seem to change the response that much (at least the purely resistive), the resonance peak is directly resultant of the winding capacitance of the  transformer and the impedance seen by the tube. It is easier to see in the graph attached.. (Vsout is before transformer, vout after transformer).

Attachments

• c12_transformer.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 23
I promised, that I will give you the recording, were we compare the different mics.
It is a Matador/Chunger C 12, with a RCA 6072a Tube and a Beyer 1:10 Transformer.
As output capacitor I use a 1uF one.
The only change was the capsule.
The guitar was recorded with a Royer Mod MXL V67.
The Preamp for vocal and guitar was an ISA (don't know the number).
No Eq or compressor on vocals. Only a small room on guitar and vocals.
The rights to the song belong to my friend Matthias Barisch.

MandM:
https://soundcloud.com/charliewolff/mic-test-matador-chunger-c12-1

BeesNeez:
https://soundcloud.com/charliewolff/mic-test-matador-chunger-c12

wolan42 said:
MandM:
https://soundcloud.com/charliewolff/mic-test-matador-chunger-c12-1

BeesNeez:
https://soundcloud.com/charliewolff/mic-test-matador-chunger-c12

:eek: thats a really big difference... a completly different frequency response. MnM lacks the lows, BN has not so much highs.
imo a dark mic is more usable on most sources. boosting highs is better than cutting highs. but isnt the c12 meant to be as a mic with a good portion of brilliance?

electrisizer said:
:eek: thats a really big difference... a completly different frequency response. MnM lacks the lows, BN has not so much highs.
imo a dark mic is more usable on most sources. boosting highs is better than cutting highs. but isnt the c12 meant to be as a mic with a good portion of brilliance?

It may be a characteristic of the Beesneez CK12 capsule, but mine was deffective so it is difficult to say. i have to say that subjectively, comparing with the sound samples i have heard of both Tim Campbell's CT12, Tskguy's HK12 and a vintage AKG C24 they do seem brighter than Beesneez's. But comparing the M&M capsule with the C12, I am not sure we can call it "dark" I'd rather say that the sound of the MnM's capsule is harsh

dmnieto said:
Ben tested my capsule, and indeed it was defective. Touching backplanes apparently. He is sending me another one.

Lol, yep he was just a little to heavy handed when screwing them together, but he is a big boof, so we can forgive him. The thing is we a talking about the tiniest gap, in the microns region. So when I say over tightening we mean a 20th of a turn.

This capsule is still perfectly useable in a three wire design. If anyone would like it, it is perfect and I will even give you a discount, just pm me.

Hey D you forgot to mention, the super awesome service, lol. Shoot me an email when it arrives.

mica said:
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention about the Beez Neez capsule. Im gonna be waiting to hear from Beez Neez about this "dark sound" problem before changing my capsule.

/M

Hey, we chose our ck12 design by testing many original capsules. Some were really bright, some were very dark and a few we felt were perfect. Our ck12 is very easy on the ear, has sufficient air, but is not tinny as many of the examples we tested were. Our capsules are not dark, but nor are they incredibly bright. As many of you know the ck12 is not one specific capsule design, it is many revisions and we chose the one we love the most. Hope that helps!

Veronica Sneesby said:
This capsule is still perfectly useable in a three wire design. If anyone would like it, it is perfect and I will even give you a discount, just pm me.

That comment has ruined my day :(... The C12 is a three wire design, and it sounded dreadful (lack of top end, muffled, muddiness) with that capsule on top of issues with inconsistent level depending on the polarization. I didn't have those issues with the RK12 and spent a good amount of last week debugging the circuit and concluded that there should be something wrong with the capsule.

If you tell me that *that* capsule is fine in three wire design... well I don't know what the heck can be wrong... it has to be the ears of both my wife's, me and the entire group of people that participated in the shootout comparing several microphones (including a vintage C24) and that concluded that it didn't sound right.

I realize, listening to the examples of other customers, that you made an stylistic choice in the particular brand of CK12 that might not be 100% what I was expecting (I really dig the crispness at 10KHz that I am not sure your variant offers),  but I really hope that there was something else wrong in the capsule... or I am back at square zero.

We'll see when the capsule arrives (please check the USPS tracking number, it does not seem the one you gave me is correct), but I am starting to lose hope that I am going to be able to re-create the sound I was getting in the C24.

But I digress, comments concerning the sonic characteristics of your capsule are possibly out of order in this thread, I will comment on your white thread when the capsule arrives and I can test it.

I will possibly comment again in this thread if I with the new capsule I still have polarization issues.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how a screw that is a few microns long would cause the backplates to touch.

ck12%20-%20section%20view%20-%20assembled.jpg

The two capsules are bolted together with 3 screws extending through insulated Perspex back ring holders and a stack of insulated spacer rings. There doesn't seem to be any opportunity for a screw to bridge the brass back plates.

I had written to Beez Neez asking about testing and the matching of the sensitivity and response of the front and back capsules before final assembly. The reply I received indicated that matching is not a matter of testing but rather a matter of perfect machining tolerances.

I was some what surprised at the idea that the QC test procedures aren't significant enough to comment or expound upon.

The idea that a capsule might be shipped internationally and then require a return before an assembly or suitability problem is confirmed is exactly the sort of thing I would hope that QC testing, and front back compatibility selection, would prevent.

I'd sure like to try a Beez Neez ck12 but I'm reluctant to spend $450 on an item that hasn't been specifically tested and confirmed to perform and conform within a range of response that makes its applicability predictable to an end user. I don't have the facility to test the items properly and I don't have the opportunity to compare any item I buy to the rest of the items that were available from the manufacturer.  I have to depend on the manufacturer to confirm that the product is representative of the quality that the item is presumed to be.

I understand that over the years there were many very small differences in the brass C12, but it seems as if any particular design, with specific dimensions, should be able to be assembled with consistency and repeatability. It seems like QC testing is the only practical way to assure consistency and justify any reputation for suitability that a product may earn in the marketplace.

I'm hoping this post is received as constructive comment, I have given up an interest in trying a Danish C12. I have read to many observations about the inconsistency and have been put off by the explanations that I have read that the old C12s had varying response so new ones may as well.

I'm hoping that Beez Neez will recognize that there is great value in defining and maintaining a standard for the capsules that they offer.

trans4funks1 said:
I'm having a hard time visualizing how a screw that is a few microns long would cause the backplates to touch.

ck12%20-%20section%20view%20-%20assembled.jpg

The two capsules are bolted together with 3 screws extending through insulated Perspex back ring holders and a stack of insulated spacer rings. There doesn't seem to be any opportunity for a screw to bridge the brass back plates.

I had written to Beez Neez asking about testing and the matching of the sensitivity and response of the front and back capsules before final assembly. The reply I received indicated that matching is not a matter of testing but rather a matter of perfect machining tolerances.

I was some what surprised at the idea that the QC test procedures aren't significant enough to comment or expound upon.

The idea that a capsule might be shipped internationally and then require a return before an assembly or suitability problem is confirmed is exactly the sort of thing I would hope that QC testing, and front back compatibility selection, would prevent.

I'd sure like to try a Beez Neez ck12 but I'm reluctant to spend $450 on an item that hasn't been specifically tested and confirmed to perform and conform within a range of response that makes its applicability predictable to an end user. I don't have the facility to test the items properly and I don't have the opportunity to compare any item I buy to the rest of the items that were available from the manufacturer.  I have to depend on the manufacturer to confirm that the product is representative of the quality that the item is presumed to be.

I understand that over the years there were many very small differences in the brass C12, but it seems as if any particular design, with specific dimensions, should be able to be assembled with consistency and repeatability. It seems like QC testing is the only practical way to assure consistency and justify any reputation for suitability that a product may earn in the marketplace.

I'm hoping this post is received as constructive comment, I have given up an interest in trying a Danish C12. I have read to many observations about the inconsistency and have been put off by the explanations that I have read that the old C12s had varying response so new ones may as well.

I'm hoping that Beez Neez will recognize that there is great value in defining and maintaining a standard for the capsules that they offer.

Hi there.

I'll try to answer your post in the order that you presented it but if it is a bit out, I apologize.

The screw in question was not one of the three that hold the halves together but the screws that hold the centre wires in the backplate.  If this screw is even a little over tightened, the internal baffle can be damaged and swell.  This swelling of course can't be seen but it can be measured.  This swelling or more technically correct if called bruising is what had caused the backplates to touch!  It is not a manufacturing defect just and assembly issue. 

I wasn't in any way offended as we are all entitled to comment freely here but to say that our QC is "not significant enough to comment or expound upon" is really inaccurate.  All of our capsules are scrutinized at least 15 times each during the production phase.  I don't usually like to give up too many of our testing procedures but here I feel that it is important as our procedures have been called to question.

We test for;
Inter material machining tolerance.
Acoustic chamber resonance
Acoustic chamber depth tolerance
Side to side capacitance comparison
Capsule capacitance
Diaphragm acoustic resonance
Side to side tolerance
Capsule to capsule tolerance

Contrary to popular belief, there is no black magic super mojo involved in making a microphone capsule.  It is quite simply a matter of mathematics and resonances (which is directly and indirectly involved in the mathematics too). If the tolerances are tight, the sound is right!

Please bear in mind that we ship many of these to other manufacturers and customers throughout the globe.  Our return rate is less than 2% which we feel is more than acceptable considering the accuracy needed to create these capsules.

Please do not be worried that a capsule is not adequately qc'd to "perform and conform" as we simply. Could not afford the time nor expense of redo's and replacements if they didn't. Our answer is to test test test them until we are satisfied.  Each capsule has around two full hours of hands on testing before it leaves our factory.

Each capsule in each batch is carefully matched and carefully measured to exacting tolerances.  You are right, there is a definite difference in c12 revisions but this difference is strictly one that is mathematical and measurable not mojoable.

We see a definite benefit in maintaining "a sound" with our ck12 and this is why we are so intent on measuring each capsules attributes so as to maintain consistency.  Our capsule may not be as bright as some but it is definitely consistent for response and resonance.

Being called to account on an open forum is not the most comfortable thing to do so I hope this post has been informative enough to set your minds at ease as to our skills and capabilities.

We really love our DIY customers, it is great to see you all experimenting and having fun.  Even though the DIY market only represents about 5% of our business, we value it's contribution and it is among one of our favourite parts of our business.  Please bear in mind though that if we were to answer in depth like this message, each and every time we are asked similar questions, we would never get off the computer.  It's not that we don't perform many levels of QC, we just don't have the time to talk about them constantly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.  We look forward to helping you int he future.

Ben

Latest posts

Back