Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first time i've seen a knob fit problem.  I have had to back the set screw out on every knob before it would install onto the switch (Lorlin and original), but i figure that is pretty normal.

of course I did back out the set screw  :)

Even on my workbench with just the shaft, it is impossible to fit the knob on...

I just tried with the parts from the second kit, it works there just fine and without any force - the knob of the second set has an inner diameter of 6,4...

So it has been just bad luck. New switch is on order with Mouser, and  will try to widen the knob..

Georg

Let me know if you need a replacement knob and switch.  Or, i can refund the cost of your mouser order.

tonzauber said:
of course I did this :)

Even on my workbench with just the shaft, it is impossible to fit the knob on...

I just tried with the parts from the second kit, it works there just fine and without any force - the knob of the second set has an inner diameter of 6,4...

So it has been just bad luck. New switch is on order with Mouser, and  will try to widen the knob..

Georg

I have a defective AMI T14 transformer.
I bought two Alctron HT-11A kits 18 months ago but waited to finish the kits until I got two of Tim Campbells capsules.
The bulid was very straithforward compared to other kits I have assembeled!  When the first kit was completed and the voltages adjusted I tested the mic and there was no sound. After a short faultfinding I found the secondary tap of the output transformer to be broken. I replaced the transformer with the one for the other kit and everything was ok!! I did not measure the transformer before mounting it but was of course careful with not pulling the wires from the trafo when cutting the wires an mounting the transformer. I searched this topic and I see  there has been some problems with these transformers.
What do I do?
Do I have to buy a new transformer

VanGenz said:
I bought two Alctron HT-11A kits 18 months ago but waited to finish the kits until I got two of Tim Campbells capsules.
The bulid was very straithforward compared to other kits I have assembeled!  When the first kit was completed and the voltages adjusted I tested the mic and there was no sound. After a short faultfinding I found the secondary tap of the output transformer to be broken. I replaced the transformer with the one for the other kit and everything was ok!! I did not measure the transformer before mounting it but was of course careful with not pulling the wires from the trafo when cutting the wires an mounting the transformer. I searched this topic and I see  there has been some problems with these transformers.
What do I do?

The best course of action is to contact AMI and see if they will replace the T14 under warranty.  Did you purchase the T14 from me?  I no longer stock the AMI transformers and do not have them on-hand to expedite a replacement directly.  If you have trouble resolving the issue with AMI, please let me know.

chunger said:
VanGenz said:
What do I do?

The best course of action is to contact AMI and see if they will replace the T14 under warranty.  Did you purchase the T14 from me?  I no longer stock the AMI transformers and do not have them on-hand to expedite a replacement directly.  If you have trouble resolving the issue with AMI, please let me know.

They still haven't answeredmy emails on the subject a week later.  Things not great over there I think. 

Hi to the community,

I´m assembling my first pair of chunger C12, with Cinemag CM13114 and Eric Heiserman capsules.
As I´m not very good with the mechanical part, I was stopped by a mismatch (?) of base plate of the mic body and capsule holder, that is supplied with the Heiserman capsules.
Here´s a link to the picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9r38ff0abzcjz4/HT-11%20and%20capsule%20holder%202.jpg?dl=0

Don´t know, whether this has been discussed before, but how is the plastic capsule holder attached to the metal base plate ?
None of the predrilled holes seem to fit.
Am I supposed to drill extra holes, or is there anything I don´t see ?

Thanks for your help,
Manfred

what are the specifications for the power supply transformer ?

I am going to build the psu from scratch.

I saw The Alctron power transformer has 200V and 9,5 secondaries.

I can't find anything like that, and if possible i would avoid having to order a custom made transformer to keep the costs down.

Manfred,

have you tried mounting the saddle only on the existing rubber/metal standoff that was shipped with the microphone?

It should be easy: Remove the black saddle by removing the screw, and replace it with the white saddle...

Best

Georg

flatresponse said:
Hi to the community,

I´m assembling my first pair of chunger C12, with Cinemag CM13114 and Eric Heiserman capsules.
As I´m not very good with the mechanical part, I was stopped by a mismatch (?) of base plate of the mic body and capsule holder, that is supplied with the Heiserman capsules.
Here´s a link to the picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9r38ff0abzcjz4/HT-11%20and%20capsule%20holder%202.jpg?dl=0

Don´t know, whether this has been discussed before, but how is the plastic capsule holder attached to the metal base plate ?
None of the predrilled holes seem to fit.
Am I supposed to drill extra holes, or is there anything I don´t see ?

Thanks for your help,
Manfred

Attachments

• standoff.jpg
    standoff.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 48
"I saw The Alctron power transformer has 200V and 9,5 secondaries".

I'm looking for the same rated transformer for my REDDI direct boxes.
No luck so far. They are still sitting there.

Hi Georg,

yes, I did that for now, because I didn´t find any other quick and solid solution.
Mounting the new white one needed to cut off the small rim below it, which wasn´t a big task.
The first of the pair is completed and I will do a test tomorrow, together with a skilled electrician.

Thanks for helping
Manfred

tonzauber said:
Manfred,

have you tried mounting the saddle only on the existing rubber/metal standoff that was shipped with the microphone?

It should be easy: Remove the black saddle by removing the screw, and replace it with the white saddle...

Best

Georg

Winetree said:

Are you looking for replacement transformers with the same taps?  You might contact Chunger to see if he has extra's to sell.

Category 5 said:
chunger said:
VanGenz said:
What do I do?

They still haven't answeredmy emails on the subject a week later.  Things not great over there I think.

When I had a issue with my I contacted Dennis and he took care of it right away.  I checked mine the next day after I got it on the DMM and it was dead on arrival.  So he sent a new one out. 

AMI/Tab-Funkenwerk,
Dennis
Office: 785-697-2257
Email: [email protected]

Good luck

Thanks Sax.

For you guys looking for a suitable transformer, this one would probably work.  It's 12V, not 9.5V but it shouldn't be too hard to cope with.

http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/diy-transformer.html

Winetree said:

An RCA gold pin Great Britain labeled 6922 / E88CC Tube and a bit of circuit knowhow
would be the start of an amazing mod for your A-Designs REDDI, that’s the fact Jack.

By the way; Some of the REDDI’S components are way off spec (need to be replaced)
along with the transformer.

Even though It’s not to expensive; It will get you to an essential piece of Pro gear……..

Winetree said:

:D  hey hey I am in the same boat, but I have one of these PSU sitting from the GT2B/fet47  Thanks for reminding me!! 

Well that didn't go to plan.  I was practicing tapping out the screw holes on empty ones and got one done and on the second one I broke the tap.  It is still in there and will be for the rest of its life as I can get anything in there to get it out I even tried to drill it out but its just making it worse.  I was trying to cut a little bit maybe half a turn then back it out a bit then start again and so forth but I guess I did one too many cuts.  I guess I am a bit heavy handed too.  Its hard to keep the dam tap straight too when doing it by hand.  Do I need to back the tap all the way out to empty the shaving and a spin or half a spin?  I guess I will order a new one.  How much of a difference does that make to the frame of the microphone phone? I am afraid I am going to ruin the other holes if I try.  Also the holes that are there from the transformer bell are bigger that the #2/56 tap so I wanted to practice on them but couldn't.  Errr. Lesson learned.

I am gonna look for some of that E6000 glue and glue the polystyrene caps down to keep them quiet.

Thanks
-Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 6
saxmonster said:
Well that didn't go to plan.  I was practicing tapping out the screw holes on empty ones and got one done and on the second one I broke the tap.  It is still in there and will be for the rest of its life as I can get anything in there to get it out I even tried to drill it out but its just making it worse.  I was trying to cut a little bit maybe half a turn then back it out a bit then start again and so forth but I guess I did one too many cuts.  I guess I am a bit heavy handed too.  Its hard to keep the dam tap straight too when doing it by hand.  Do I need to back the tap all the way out to empty the shaving and a spin or half a spin?  I guess I will order a new one.  How much of a difference does that make to the frame of the microphone phone? I am afraid I am going to ruin the other holes if I try.  Also the holes that are there from the transformer bell are bigger that the #2/56 tap so I wanted to practice on them but couldn't.  Errr. Lesson learned.

I am gonna look for some of that E6000 glue and glue the polystyrene caps down to keep them quiet.

Thanks
-Scott

Did you use cutting oil of some kind?  With these small taps, it is imperative to go slow, back the tap out frequently to clear the chips and use oil.  I've broken quite a few M2 taps and have them "permanently" inside my projects.

Ok I will try the cutting oil and make shorter cuts when doing this next time.  I might just leave the whole thing alone now that I did this but its the only way to learn I guess.  Can I use any kind of oil or is it a special oil just for cutting?  Thanks Chunger, makes me feel better that you went through this too.  So much for having a perfect build hahahah.

I've always used air tool oil for this.  3-in-1 multi-purpose oil works well too.

I typically go in 1/8 of a turn, back it off, then go forward 1/8, etc.  After one turn forward, back out all the way, shake off trimmings, then go again.

I got my taps from McMaster-Carr - search for part #26955A11.  They are Titanium Nitride coated and have lasted for many projects.

Back