Potting compound for toroidal power transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

I have some toroidal power transformers that I’d like to fill the center of for mounting instead of using the round plate they came with…

what is a good compound to use for this? I have seen someone mention JB weld, I was thinking of using Loctite construction adhesive, any reason I shouldn’t? I don’t want to unwittingly put anything in there that would cause an issue.

thanks!

I've used 2 part potting compound from RS components for this purpose. Embedding a nut in the center hole.
It is meant for putting doa/electronics. no problem yet, small transformer, small load.
I am/was concerned about thermal expansion properties.

At the rewinding place I used work ,two part slow curing epoxy was the go to for jobs like this . It remains a pourable liquid for hours after its mixed .

Using a little less hardner will leave the cured epoxy with a little more elasticity which might stress the windings less due to thermal expansion/contraction . Mostly you see toroids mounted with a large washer top and bottom , insulated with neoprene sponge to prevent crushing the windings together . Of course it goes without saying making sure the mounting bolt cant make contact with the top of the chassis , and completing a one turn shorted loop is a good thing , sparks and molten metal flying around inside the chassis most likely wouldnt end well .

You could embed a nut and some plastic tubing like Shaba suggests , but leaving enough space so the mounting bolt ,nut and washer are recessed in the middle of the doughnut works fine also .

Mostly what Ive seen on toroids with epoxy infill is first the centre is filled , allowed to cure ,then the bolt mounting hole is drilled afterwards . With liquid epoxy and the nut embedded theres always a chance the threads could end up clogged , you would almost certainly destroy the transformer if you ended up having to hack out the solidified epoxy.

Like in the first pic below , the top of the bolt ,nut and washer are reccessed and cant come into contact with chassis under any circumstances , in the second example , if you dont have much clearance between the top panel and contact is made you create a spot welding machine .

Attachments

• Toroid.jpg
    Toroid.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Toroid2.jpg
    Toroid2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks guys. I was thinking about doing it just like the 1st picture and drilling after it’s cured. I have some done like this by the manufacturer.

I’ll see if I can find a decent slow cure 2 part epoxy locally at the home improvement warehouse…

thanks!

Back