Rat

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, nasty! That is the worst rat story I have ever heard. Ever! Also, very funny only because it didn't happen to me!  :D

I was able to find it's home. It ate a little space between the floor and the wall in the hallway. Our shoes were covering it up, and I didn't think to look there initially. The space is much bigger than a mouse would need, so it's definitely a rat. Got a big snap trap, and left it right outside the den. Going to pick up the ultrasonic devices to help as well. All food has been cleaned/hidden/packed up. Garbage is out. I am actually on a bit of a vacation right now, so I don't know if I'll come home to nothing, more damage to the house, or a gory scene in the hallway.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone, and for relating your rat attack stories. Very interesting experiences!

years ago my father had a mouse infestation problem.  only a couple got into the house and we quickly surmised where the passage from nesting was from under the house.  we blocked off that route and did not see them in the house again, although we did see many of them in the outside patio area where the family dog slept.  apparently they were after the dog food.

my father called in a pest control expert that was used at the hospital he worked at and the expert got rid of all the rodents.  he placed traps in the path the rodents usually took as the rodents leave a trail of oil from their belly which they follow back to the nest.  you will notice that they mostly run along walls.  leave the trap in that path.  more intelligent rodents may go around, some cannot resist the temptation of the food you leave in the trap.  a trap may only work a couple of times before they figure it out.  use smelly, delicious bait.  something which will keep them in the trap area long enough to trip the trap.  something like peanut butter or some shredded beef jerky.  make them work for the food so they need to pull at it is better which is more likely to set off the trigger of the trap...nothing hard which can come off of the trigger easily.

i think the pest controller got about 4 rodents those conventional snap traps and then the mice caught on.  if you still have a problem you eventually have to leave some poison bait which they will take back to the nest and you will end up with the decay stink, but that lasts for a few days and you are done (hopefully).

good luck.

dissonantstring said:
you will notice that they mostly run along walls.  leave the trap in that path.
+1...
more intelligent rodents may go around, some cannot resist the temptation of the food you leave in the trap.  a trap may only work a couple of times before they figure it out. 
Yes but,,, there is a reason that the old fashioned traps still work...  dead rats don't talk... While you need to use the right sized traps. If you don't kill them they aren't stupid enough to come back for seconds.. while the second rat (or mouse) does get eat the cheese left behind by his dead friend. Unlike the early bird getting the worm, the early rat gets dead. 
use smelly, delicious bait.  something which will keep them in the trap area long enough to trip the trap.  something like peanut butter or some shredded beef jerky.
yup, peanut butter is a classic, I used lots of soft cheese pressed into the trigger

i think the pest controller got about 4 rodents those conventional snap traps and then the mice caught on.  if you still have a problem you eventually have to leave some poison bait which they will take back to the nest and you will end up with the decay stink, but that lasts for a few days and you are done (hopefully).

good luck.

I have had good success with several infestations using patience and simple spring traps.

One time at my old day job, my group was moved into an area where the former residnets used to leave a lot of food and crumbs from snacking laying around... it took me a few weeks to clear them all out. I don't recall the final body count, but it was a bunch (I reused the traps and the mice didn't seem to notice). Monday mornings usually smelled the worst if the dead mouse had a couple days in my non air conditoned office to ferment.

JR

Junction said:
I have used rat glue, horribly sticky sh*t, spread some on a piece of cardboard and they get stuck in it, doesnt kill them, at least initially, if you leave them in it for a while, they squirm around in the glue and it gets everywhere, in its nose, ears, mouth, then they die a slow and painful death.

What a horrible way for anything on this planet to die... even a rat. Only humans could invent anything like that, as if it is not enough just to kill... Indeed, something to be proud of.

Marik said:
What a horrible way for anything on this planet to die... even a rat. Only humans could invent anything like that, as if it is not enough just to kill... Indeed, something to be proud of.

Over here these glue type traps are banned.

living sounds said:
Marik said:

Over here these glue type traps are banned.

It's not even that. It's about the fact some people would consider using it, first place. Let alone, suggest to others...

Best, M

Peanut butter is so common.

I had mice that LOVED "Almond Butter". Same goop only made from almonds. Boutique food.

Take a bit of paper-towel. Spread with nut-butter then roll it up. Slip this under the bait-hook on the trap, then mash the hook. (Use pliers or gloves to minimize human-scent.)

They sniff the end, smells good. Nibble, yum. But to get the last bit they have to tug the paper-towel out of the bait-hook. wack.

I've used lots of poison. I've also had perpetual "fruit-fly" infestation which I was pretty sure was really from tiny carcasses in unreachable areas of the attic.

rat.jpg

(Well, somebody had to ...)

Now that's one rat I wouldn't try to kill.

Came home from an awesome vacation to find a little more activity by the den. Trap sat untouched. Peanut butter still there. I checked our food stores. No damage there. Going to do a little more investigating tomorrow, then grab some of those ultrasonic thingies.

Agreed on the glue traps. Nasty things.

living sounds said:
lassoharp said:
Yes, why do you ask?

I don't like religious indoctrination and don't see what it's got to do with this thread.

Well, I'm sorry that you see this as "religious indoctrination".  I don't endorse any viewpoints portrayed in the video and did not intend as such.

This discussion has gone from practical advice on how to deal with a rat problem into discussions on ethical issues, the black plague, etc . .

I posted it because I though it was an interesting topic in general - that some cultures view rats totally different than others.  This one went further by imposing a largely western viewpoint which was unfortunately tainted with some religious dogma (which I don't care for BTW either).  So, if anyone else feels I am peddling religious viewpoints, rest assured I am not.  I did not intend for discussion to focus on religion either. Maybe there's a better video out there that talks strictly about the problems of disease & social treatment relative to Hindu tradition without looking preachy.  That's what I was seeing, and ignoring the dogma.  I didn't think anyone on this forum would take it that way.  Sorry if anyone else was offended.  :-[

I found one thing interesting about that video. That because rat's are worshiped, they walk around in the day time and don't hide from humans. No rat worship in this house, or this country for that matter. The end bit was a little strange. Anyway, don't want to start a religious debate, but I just want to say, David Attenborough is the man!

Little bugger scared the bejeezus out of me last night. My lady and I were sitting on the couch just after midnight. We heard a little noise right beside the couch, I got up to investigate, and then Splinter exploded out of there within inches of me, and ran under a pocket door to hide. I hunted that rat for about an hour with no success. Anyway, left a message with the landlord, so hopefully they bring in the big guns before babies are born.

Now if it is Ratt in my house, I will hunt more mercilessly.

That rat needs killin... If he is bold enough to show himself around humans he may be sick, or you may just be very quiet.

I'd say you don't have enough traps set, in the right places. They aren't that smart...

JR

Yes. It must be killed. Although I must admit that I am a little bit gun shy around snap traps after having a few go off on me while I was setting them. If the landlord doesn't get back to me today, I'll be grabbing a couple at the hardware store. Just have to be careful when setting them. Not going to use poison though as he hides in a place that is nigh on impossible to get to.

I think what happened last night is we unplugged our ultra sonic thing in the living room to watch a movie. Might not be able to hear the ultra sonic noise, but they still emit an annoying audible buzz. Anyway, plugged it back in after the movie, and shortly after the rat stirred and bolted. Must have been hiding under the couch the whole time.

A little research revealed that rats don't like peppermint, spearmint, or citronella smells. Might pick up some oils to scent the kitchen to keep him outta the food. Then use the ultra sonic devices and scents to drive him into the traps.

So the Rat is too big to be a mouse, but too small or deft to set off my rat traps. Last night he ate a gourmet meal of cheese and peanut butter. I even impaled the cheese on the bait hook so that he couldn't just rip it off. Might try PRR's method, or grab some smaller more sensitive traps. I just don't want to find a rat running around with a trap stuck to its head. Might also try some beef jerky as it may cause the rat to apply some force on the mechanism since it's so tough and chewy.

Our sonic assault has driven the beast into the basement which is a plus. Just have to kill him! Crafty little sucker

Back