Ribbon Mic: RB500 vs APEX 205

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Violinist said:
Hi all

I know it was a bunch of time ago.
however: I built my mic :) Let's say it works.
The issue is that I don't find the 1G or 5G resistance to put in parallel to the capsule a TSB165A
This bring a not very stable working.

In the shops I don't find such resistances
on "farnell.be" they want a minimum order of 50 euro from privates and it's exceptional. Indeed they wrote me telling me that they sell only if I have VAT.
dgkey.be has not and has the same rules of farnell.be
RS-COMPONENT the same with a variant: I cannot order 2-3 pieces of that resistances but minimum 500

What a situation.

Prosperous 2013 to everybody

Why don't you try what has been suggested in experiments by others?

1. Use a green LED instead lacquered black to prevent light getting in, and connecting the cathode to the FET gate, anode to the bias adjust wiper of the trimmer pot in the source resistor network of the FET if that is applicable in your circuit. Otherwise connect the anode to ground.
2. Use a PN4117A FET, connect source and drain  leads together, and then use source/drain as the cathode and the gate lead as anode in the same way you would use a modified LED.
Both these were suggested by zapnspark on micbuilders group some time ago.
Try them and see how they work. Let us know your findings. We would be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Kindest regards for 2013.

zephyrmic

Back