Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody. I'm based in France and new to this (great) forum and I'm just starting to build my own mics... I ordered and received 2 multipattern polarization boards and 2 preamp boards in the Schoeps style from a nice guy based in UK (Thet). I've oredred a Ali Express cheap capsule in the first time to begin with but if success, I want to ordre 2 U47flat... So excuse my lack of knowledge and experience but I would like to know how to connect the U47flat. I assume that the front diaphragm goes to "+60v" and the rear diaphragm goes to "-60v" but since there are 2 backplates, how do I connect them? If necessary I can post the diagrams of the polarization and preamp cards...Thanks for your help !

edit : this polarization board offers multiple pattern choices (see pict)

Attachments

• polariz.patterns.jpg
    polariz.patterns.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
I assume that the front diaphragm goes to "+60v" and the rear diaphragm goes to "-60v" but since there are 2 backplates, how do I connect them?

Pretty sure the K47 only has a single backplate. The K87 has two isolated backplates.

Connection of the capsule wires depends entirely on the (microphone) circuit you intend to use, and that's even before messing with extra bias boards.

You definitely do NOT want to connect things as you described.

Pretty sure the K47 only has a single backplate. The K87 has two isolated backplates.

Connection of the capsule wires depends entirely on the (microphone) circuit you intend to use, and that's even before messing with extra bias boards.

You definitely do NOT want to connect things as you described.
Hi Khron, thank you for your answer... may I ask you to have a look at the schematic please ?
here is a link to the boards I got :
https://www.halfshavedyaks.xyz/pcb/BM700-polarisation.php

Yes, you're right : the 47flat does have only one backplate, sorry... but what's wrong with my intent to connect front & back diaphgrams to + and - voltage ? How would do ? (I've posted a link to the polarisation board but it's waiting for moderator approval...)
the schematic :

Attachments

• polar-2caps.jpg
    polar-2caps.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 0
Yuo should be able to see how I connected the K.47 in the photo I attached to the first post in this thread:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/dual-polarity-voltage-multiplier.86416

That is -- the central backplate termination to the preamp input, and the 2 centre terminals to the plus and minus outputs from the voltage multiplier
Thanks Rog ! As I said, front and rear diaphragms to voltages + & - and the backplate to the preamp input (signal)

So what do you think about the schematic I've posted ? (actually this is the board I ordered and received for my first DIY mic)

This is the schematic of the preamp board (see below)
I wonder if you guys have a schematic to replace the bjt (SA1015) by a UTM 0547F transformer ? (from Arienne too) and what would be the result in comparaison with the bjt ouput ? Thanx for helping me ;)

Attachments

• Pré Schoeps.jpg
    Pré Schoeps.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Rog ! As I said, front and rear diaphragms to voltages + & - and the backplate to the preamp input (signal)

So what do you think about the schematic I've posted ? (actually this is the board I ordered and received for my first DIY mic)
Your schematic is based on the well established 'Schoeps' circuit and should perfom well.
You will need to calibrate VR1 to obtain the best compromise between lowest distortion and symmetrical clipping.

I personally prefer to use an op-amp for the preamp.... It removes the need for calibration, and in the format I've used it is probably the simplest implementation of a good quality impedance converter. ( See here: https://www.opic.jp137.com/index-ldc.html )

Other hobbyists using a simlar op-amp configurations - like Jules Rykebusch and 'Thet' - have taken the decision to add a bit more circuitry, and regulate the supply to the op-amp. That's not strictly necessary -- although the voltage multiplier supply does need to be regulated.
I find the addition of extra resistors into the signal path, and/or adding a differential output stage, simply add to the circuit somplexity, and will add a little extra noise into the signal path
But we all have slightly different views on how best to address these things...... It's all part of DIY hobby mic building! :)

My original dual polarity schematic is really only a concept sketch.....
That is -- the central backplate termination to the preamp input, and the 2 centre terminals to the plus and minus outputs from the voltage multiplier

That's all fine and well, but you must admit, those brief connection instructions, when read by someone not as well-versed in electronics and mics as some of the rest of us are, COULD be interpreted literally which would result in a fixed / permanent figure-8 pattern. Would it not? Unless i'm horribly misunderstanding something...

Your schematic is based on the well established 'Schoeps' circuit and should perfom well.
You will need to calibrate VR1 to obtain the best compromise between lowest distortion and symmetrical clipping.

I personally prefer to use an op-amp for the preamp.... It removes the need for calibration, and in the format I've used it is probably the simplest implementation of a good quality impedance converter. ( See here: https://www.opic.jp137.com/index-ldc.html )

Other hobbyists using a simlar op-amp configurations - like Jules Rykebusch and 'Thet' - have taken the decision to add a bit more circuitry, and regulate the supply to the op-amp. That's not strictly necessary -- although the voltage multiplier supply does need to be regulated.
I find the addition of extra resistors into the signal path, and/or adding a differential output stage, simply add to the circuit somplexity, and will add a little extra noise into the signal path
But we all have slightly different views on how best to address these things...... It's all part of DIY hobby mic building! :)
Thanks Rog... and I will read calmly your link. Yes I know much diyers that use OPA instead of fet (like JLI for ex.)
But about using a tranformer (UTM 0547F from Arienne I guess) what are pros and cons ? I know it willa add "its own colour" but will it low the ouput level ?

That's all fine and well, but you must admit, those brief connection instructions, when read by someone not as well-versed in electronics and mics as some of the rest of us are, COULD be interpreted literally which would result in a fixed / permanent figure-8 pattern. Would it not? Unless i'm horribly misunderstanding something...
I must confess I only considered the connections I described from the 'dual backplate' discussion earlier...... I'm assuming that the commercial voltage multiplier PCB tht Emmathom is actually using will have appropriate pattern select options?....

I had not really considered my original dual polarity notes as a project as such - just a schematic for discussion.
As you say, there is no mention of pattern selection.
I then actually built one myself, and included the stripboard layout as an indicator of how a prototype might be constructed for testing.
That of course did include links for pattern selection.

Not really a beginner's complete project of course....just an idea for discussion. Maybe I should have pointed that out?....

@Khron : I've read and kept open your "Khron's cave X1S rebuilt" 'cause I got a pair out-of-order... I dedided to throw the original circuit away (full of cms I don't deal with) and build on stripboard (like most of all my realisations like mic tube pre) a "schoeps-like" pre board using Thet's schematic and a single voltage polarisation from Thet's too (the 2 circuits on the same board)

I must confess I only considered the connections I described from the 'dual backplate' discussion earlier...... I'm assuming that the commercial voltage multiplier PCB tht Emmathom is actually using will have appropriate pattern select options?....
Yes it does provide about ten patterns (see attached)

Attachments

• polariz.patterns.jpg
    polariz.patterns.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Rog... and I will read calmly your link. Yes I know much diyers that use OPA instead of fet (like JLI for ex.)
But about using a tranformer (UTM 0547F from Arienne I guess) what are pros and cons ? I know it willa add "its own colour" but will it low the ouput level ?
It was the JLI shipping costs outside the USA that made me consider my own op-amp versions, following Jules identifying the OPA164* op-amp series as useful devices for an impedance converter.

I've not tried any of the transformer options ...I'm not one for adding 'colour' into the internal mic circuitry myself !
As for output level changes, that will depend on the transformer windings turns ratio, and the impedance it is designed to interface with....

It was the JLI shipping costs outside the USA that made me consider my own op-amp versions, following Jules identifying the OPA164* op-amp series as useful devices for an impedance converter.

I've not tried any of the transformer options ...I'm not one for adding 'colour' into the internal mic circuitry myself !
As for output level changes, that will depend on the transformer windings turns ratio, and the impedance it is designed to interface with....
Yes I've read Jules website too... and JLI are far too expensive on their shipping rates to Europe (you & I are concerned)
About these OPA's they are VSSOP-8 and need adaptater to DIP-8 (not easy to solder!) Mouser sells them and so OPA1642 jfet's one

Hello everybody. I'm based in France and new to this (great) forum and I'm just starting to build my own mics... I ordered and received 2 multipattern polarization boards and 2 preamp boards in the Schoeps style from a nice guy based in UK (Thet). I've oredred a Ali Express cheap capsule in the first time to begin with but if success, I want to ordre 2 U47flat... So excuse my lack of knowledge and experience but I would like to know how to connect the U47flat. I assume that the front diaphragm goes to "+60v" and the rear diaphragm goes to "-60v" but since there are 2 backplates, how do I connect them? If necessary I can post the diagrams of the polarization and preamp cards...Thanks for your help !
You are probably asking how to connect the physical capsule.
If there are two plates (two independently front and back),
the line connected to the center becomes the front or back,
and the two lines connected to the edge
(the line connected to the ring) can be combined and used.

Back