SSL 4000 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this done today. Just waiting on the power supply, chassis, and AML pots. And yes, those are the wildly expensive genuine SSL knobs  :)

BOM is https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=384462fb3d if interested. Components are all Wima and Vishay essencially. Comes with two 1/4 inch stereo phone jacks, IEC connector for power cord, and the 4x optional gain pots listed in Casey's original component list.

Just be warned that the C6 Wima capacitor will be the wrong size but the correct value. It is the 5mm version. Mouser does not carry the 7.5mm. It will fit with some manuvering.

IMG052_zps8c48725d.jpg

LarryChicken said:
Just be warned that the C6 Wima capacitor will be the wrong size but the correct value. It is the 5mm version. Mouser does not carry the 7.5mm. It will fit with some manuvering.

IMG052_zps8c48725d.jpg
good to know! That is the one cap I had to subsitute with a kremet because of spacing.

And the knobs rock! 8)

LarryChicken said:
And yes, those are the wildly expensive genuine SSL

Did you get them directly from ssl? How much per knob? I may go the same route if they are reasonable. Are you doing the filters as well? Thanks for sharing

Volume11 said:
Did you get them directly from ssl? How much per knob? I may go the same route if they are reasonable. Are you doing the filters as well? Thanks for sharing

Yup I bought them from SSL here: http://store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/34. It cost me $41 total for 18 knobs. It was outrageous but you have to pay to play I suppose. And I'm not doing the filter but I'm doing a dual EQ from here with the GSSL compressor in the same 2U chassis. It'll certainly be a fun project.

Dandeurloo? I hit him up awhile back, but no response. I think that he would need a lot more interests. A two channel case would be perfect

I would be interested in doing this.  Can someone send me info on what the layout and some details.  I can look into it more after that.

Thanks guys, don't ever be afraid to ask. 

I am sure someone will be able to provide the details... I consider myself way to junior to do something like that. The thing that might complicate is that there seems to be the possiblilty to add a HP filter or not... I for one would be very happy with one of Dan's cases for this project!

So, I'm noticing that the 750R Vishay resistors are really expensive, relative to a Xicon of the same specs.

The Xicons are .09 USD per item in quantities greater than 10. 
The Vuishays are 0.74 USD under 50 items, when it drops to 0.34 USD.

The effective physical difference between the Vishay and the Xicon is case length:

Vishay:  Length = 6.1 / Diameter = 2.29
Xicon:    Length = 6.8 / Diameter = 2.25

Vishay: https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CMF55750R00FHEKvirtualkey61300000virtualkey71-CMF55750R00FHEK
Xicon: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/271-750-RC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhG6G26YXWwWp0cxSUK4uuyRQ%3d

The other Vishays in the BOM seem cost-competitive with the Xicons.

Is there any reason I should not go with the Xicon for these parts (R8 R23 R24 R31 R52 R53) ?

Indecline said:
Xicons will work fine. I normally use vishay since the value is normally printed on the resistor vs color coding.

I do like the look of the Vishay's ...

I recently had the need for a 1.5R resistor and all I had were 10R 1/2 watt Vishay's so I connected 7 of them in parallel - it looked like some sort of a cluster bomb.

spase said:
im still waiting my boards...

If anyone else is missing boards try to check with your countries customs office.  I'm not sure if that would help or if they would even know where to look but it's a start.

spase, I replied to your PM.

-Casey

dandeurloo said:
I would be interested in doing this.  Can someone send me info on what the layout and some details.  I can look into it more after that.

Thanks guys, don't ever be afraid to ask.
I wish that I could help you out here, but I haven't even had a chance to start on mine yet. I plan on adding the filters to mine. Hopefully more people will do the same so that it won't be a deciding factor on whether or not people will purchase the cases from you.

One channel done. I will hopefully start the other one soon and eventually add the filter and the gssl comp if possible.

It sounds great by the way. Has a character extremely similar to the Waves E-channel, but a little bit "sweeter" if I may use such profanity around here.

Does anybody know where I can get this thing screen printed? I'm tired of looking at an all black faceplate.

IMG064.jpg

A few people have asked about spacing for the controls, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, started a new job and I haven't done squat in DIY land in almost 3 months.  :'(  But here is a png file showing the spacing between the pots and switches.  I emailed this to Dan, so maybe he will get some cases in the works if there is enough interest.  For those of you doing it yourself, I suggest getting your graphics together and taking the file to your local laser engraver.  I did that with the prototype and a few other pieces last year and they turned out great.

Hope everyone who has finished one is enjoying it.

-Casey

Attachments

• SSLEQ spacing3.jpg
    SSLEQ spacing3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 476
signalflow said:
... But here is a png file showing the spacing between the pots and switches....
Hope everyone who has finished one is enjoying it.

-Casey

Thanks Casey!  I'll be ordering the pots and switches from AML in the next week or two, so this will come in handy very soon.

Back