Strange problem with simple power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The operation with a standard 9V DC wall wart is very tempting.
This of course raises the question of where to get a PE connection? An effects unit could be set up with protective insulation case, but not a tube microphone.

You would have to do it the way Ruud did.
Is there a qualitative difference for B+ whether the module is supplied with only rectified + RC filter or a regulated DC voltage?

At first I used the +210 output of the DC-DC converter directly, but this resulted in a very noisy signal from a ('real') U67. After adding a 4.7K/47µF filter, there was no audible noise anymore.
Unloaded voltage is now 213V, loaded voltage (with a U67) is now 208V.
(208 V. is the same voltage the original Neumann power supply delivers.)

The output voltage of the DC converter drops, so no excessive dissipation in the resistor.

I have swapped the two DC converters; the one I used for the +210V now only delivers 6.3 V and vice versa.
To my surprise this solved the problem. So it seems one DC converter had a problem.

Still it is strange that the 'faulty' DC converter delivered 210 V without a load, and did the same with a 10 mA load, but dropped the voltage when an R-C load was conneted. Well, problem solved it seems...

View attachment 122813
Hi RuudNL,

how did you connect the chassis ground and the DC converter's ground?

Are they tied together? I know some DC converter only works well when the output ground is floating...

Thanks

Latest posts

Back